Gen 4: 2011-2015 Switching from a ZX-10R - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 Old 11-16-2017, 10:01 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Just like it’s said about boat owners, the same goes for Ducati owners.

The 2 happiest days in a Ducati owner’s life are
1) the day they buy the Duc
2) the day they sell their Duc

Seriously, they are not for everyone. In fact, they’re for very few.

First off, everything you read about Ducati sport bikes in the press is based of their “press fleet” bikes and written about by lustful but well meaning wannabe Ducatisti who seemingly almost blatantly ignore the bike’s flaws. The press fleet bikes are al “pristine examples” of hand built engines, and components. While back in the ’90’s and early 2000’s that was a bit more, it’s only a few hp difference now. The really big difference is their use of the Ducati “Race Only” ECU or mapping and exhaust. All the other manufacturers - at least all the Japanese bikes, are run stock but Ducatis get to run with the race ecu programming and with an exhaust - more than likely tuned on a dyno before use in the press fleet. Why?

Because Ducati is incapable of making a sport bike that is able to both pass US emissions and smoothly accelerate. Feed too much throttle and the bike bucks and coughs it’s way to higher speed while normal bikes of much less displacement leave the Ducati for dead. Many of the US magazines have been “called” on letting Ducati get away with this and you’ll still see a letter to the editor once in a while but check out the pics in reviews of Ducatis. It’s been a bit since I’ve checked but last I checked, still showing bikes with aftermarket exhausts in the pics.

They sound great and their super bikes handle incredibly. And they are quite aesthetically pleasing... But none of that means a hill of beans while your bike is in the shop. And it will be in the shop, you can count on it. Mine was a pretty good example and still logged just under 3 months down in 5 years and that’s not counting stuff I fixed. Some of the failures are long known to Ducati - the voltage regulator right next to the front exhaust pipe or the defective 1x98 radiator that leaks on the top left. They’ve been failing for ages but Ducati made the business decision to ride it out of the warranty period rather than source a new part.

Owners aren’t always 100% forthcoming on the internet. If you read “My Ducati has been bulletproof” make sure to check their posting history to be sure. A lot of us don’t like to admit we made a poor life choice buying an expensive, limited production motorcycle that has a reputation that is not synonymous with reliability.

I’m not really sure what deficiencies the 10R has that you are seeking to address but I’ll agree it’s not a perfect liter bike.
Power wise - an ecu flash will reclaim the hp that Kawi whacked. handling - a set of wheels and tires will improve the handling. I admit I haven’t messed with the geometry, so mine does not change directions as fast as the Ducati, but it is stable...

If you’re thinking that will cost money to address on the 10R, you’re right, but, it will cost 1-2x less on the 10R as compared to any Ducati.

Good luck!
scout likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 Old 11-16-2017, 10:07 AM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfslayer View Post

First off, everything you read about Ducati sport bikes in the press is based of their “press fleet” bikes and written about by lustful but well meaning wannabe Ducatisti who seemingly almost blatantly ignore the bike’s flaws. The press fleet bikes are al “pristine examples” of hand built engines, and components. While back in the ’90’s and early 2000’s that was a bit more, it’s only a few hp difference now. The really big difference is their use of the Ducati “Race Only” ECU or mapping and exhaust. All the other manufacturers - at least all the Japanese bikes, are run stock but Ducatis get to run with the race ecu programming and with an exhaust - more than likely tuned on a dyno before use in the press fleet. Why?

Because Ducati is incapable of making a sport bike that is able to both pass US emissions and smoothly accelerate. Feed too much throttle and the bike bucks and coughs it’s way to higher speed while normal bikes of much less displacement leave the Ducati for dead. Many of the US magazines have been “called” on letting Ducati get away with this and you’ll still see a letter to the editor once in a while but check out the pics in reviews of Ducatis. It’s been a bit since I’ve checked but last I checked, still showing bikes with aftermarket exhausts in the pics.

They sound great and their super bikes handle incredibly. And they are quite aesthetically pleasing... But none of that means a hill of beans while your bike is in the shop. And it will be in the shop, you can count on it. Mine was a pretty good example and still logged just under 3 months down in 5 years and that’s not counting stuff I fixed. Some of the failures are long known to Ducati - the voltage regulator right next to the front exhaust pipe or the defective 1x98 radiator that leaks on the top left. They’ve been failing for ages but Ducati made the business decision to ride it out of the warranty period rather than source a new part.

Owners aren’t always 100% forthcoming on the internet. If you read “My Ducati has been bulletproof” make sure to check their posting history to be sure. A lot of us don’t like to admit we made a poor life choice buying an expensive, limited production motorcycle that has a reputation that is not synonymous with reliability.

I’m not really sure what deficiencies the 10R has that you are seeking to address but I’ll agree it’s not a perfect liter bike.
Power wise - an ecu flash will reclaim the hp that Kawi whacked. handling - a set of wheels and tires will improve the handling. I admit I haven’t messed with the geometry, so mine does not change directions as fast as the Ducati, but it is stable...

If you’re thinking that will cost money to address on the 10R, you’re right, but, it will cost 1-2x less on the 10R as compared to any Ducati.

Good luck!
Hahahahaha...if you buy a Ducati you need three...one to ride, one for parts and one a a loaner...that being said I have a few friends who love theirs...they have money and other bikes...think that explains it.
post #13 of 27 Old 11-20-2017, 04:44 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

The man speaketh the truth. Funny stuff there. I think every motorcycle owner ponders the idea of owning a Ducati at one point in their career. Thank god I came to my senses before I made that mistake. One mistake I did make was to buy a crossplane R1. They are kind of cool but they jerk like a 15 yr old boy.

post #14 of 27 Old 11-20-2017, 04:45 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
my buddies had panigales and refuse to go out on all day rides. they use them to go for a quick 45 minute blast and then park it. theyre too hot and uncomfortable
ive ridden them before and cant wait to get off them. however you are shifting more often than the 10r so theres that?

15 ZX10R
91 Harley Fatboy
04 ZX10R - Burned in front of my eyes
00 R1 - Stolen & Crashed
98 ZX6R - SOLD
post #15 of 27 Old 11-22-2017, 09:12 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I rode my 1198s a tick over 4 hours once, and it was hotter than other liter bikes, but otherwise not tangibly less comfortable. You have to get off every 120 miles for fuel anyway. Though I did managed to eke out 140 before the warning lights once, but I was warned by fellow Ducatisti to not trust those warning lamps.

Ducati makes spectacularly well handling bikes, no doubt. but even with another bike to ride it’s like having a high maintenance girlfriend that you really want to break up with, but just can’t bring yourself to.
post #16 of 27 Old 11-22-2017, 10:14 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Say what you want about Ducati but I’d still like to stretch the new pani v-4 legs.

More cowbell
post #17 of 27 Old 11-22-2017, 10:40 AM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I went out and picked up this a couple of months ago. I barely ride the 10 any more. Anyone want to buy it? :)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ktmtrackprepped1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	782.8 KB
ID:	407465   Click image for larger version

Name:	ktmtrackprepped2.jpg.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	765.5 KB
ID:	407473  
evilaugust likes this.

post #18 of 27 Old 11-23-2017, 08:29 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfslayer View Post

Good luck!
Duc really really really hit the market a few years back building a profile. The guy that ran that sales pitch knew what he was doing. Anyway, duc sold. And duc sales pitch is gone.
post #19 of 27 Old 11-23-2017, 08:30 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdh View Post
I went out and picked up this a couple of months ago. I barely ride the 10 any more. Anyone want to buy it? :)
Ask Rossi for his opinion.
post #20 of 27 Old 11-24-2017, 05:48 PM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
Ask Rossi for his opinion.
Idon't happen to have his number. :) What's his opionion? I sent my application in to race Pike's Peak next year and the ZX10 isn't legal which is the main reason I picked up the SDR. It's definitely a load of fun though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.