Gen 4: 2011-2015 Starter motor or relay? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-11-2018, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Starter motor or relay?

After a week of hard starts due to a very needed spark plug and filter change I went to start my bike to get to work this morning and no dice. Doesn't seem to be turning over, brand new battery, ytz about a month old.

https://youtu.be/f_rQbJH-fG0

Quick video I made, I noticed that the starter motor is 400$ for this bike so I'm hoping it's the relay, kill switch or loose connection, can anyone tell by the video or will more troubleshooting need done when i get home from work? It's my daily transportation so help would be great.

Thank you, Kramer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-11-2018, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

To add, I did change the plugs the other day and started it.

I'm hoping for a simple fix but lately luck hasn't been on my side.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-11-2018, 09:03 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Had the same exact issue when my starter failed on my gen 4 zx10r.

You can supply direct power to the starter with a pair of jumper cables and a screwdriver to eliminate the harness(relays, switches, etc.) as a culprit. You are gonna have to tear it down pretty far for to get a decent amount of room to work around by the starter. If you feel you are nimble enough you may be able to just remove the coolant line, thermostat housing, etc. and snake the power in there. I am hearing more and more cases of gen 4 starter failures so my money is on the starter, but diagnose before you start replacing.

Depending on what went wrong in the starter there are some places that can rebuild starters for a good deal less then $400, if interested I can send you the shops information.

The more you learn, the more you realize how little you know.

post #4 of 10 Old 04-11-2018, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duhastme View Post
Had the same exact issue when my starter failed on my gen 4 zx10r.

You can supply direct power to the starter with a pair of jumper cables and a screwdriver to eliminate the harness(relays, switches, etc.) as a culprit. You are gonna have to tear it down pretty far for to get a decent amount of room to work around by the starter. If you feel you are nimble enough you may be able to just remove the coolant line, thermostat housing, etc. and snake the power in there. I am hearing more and more cases of gen 4 starter failures so my money is on the starter, but diagnose before you start replacing.

Depending on what went wrong in the starter there are some places that can rebuild starters for a good deal less then $400, if interested I can send you the shops information.

Thanks for the reply, I would gladly take the shop info to get a cheaper alternative than buying the part new. I wish I had enough power just to run start it until i can get it fixed but that's not going to be possible.

I'm really hoping for loose connection but I've been unlucky lately. Why does it seem the gen 4 starter is much more expensive than previous generations?
post #5 of 10 Old 04-11-2018, 10:12 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer Richardson View Post
Thanks for the reply, I would gladly take the shop info to get a cheaper alternative than buying the part new. I wish I had enough power just to run start it until i can get it fixed but that's not going to be possible.

I'm really hoping for loose connection but I've been unlucky lately. Why does it seem the gen 4 starter is much more expensive than previous generations?
Here is the link to the shop : https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/index.php

Really informed and helpful staff, give them a call and explain your situation. They are good people.

You can also call around to salvage yards and try and get a good deal. Ebay is another place you might be able to find one for cheap. The starter motor's are the same from 2012 - 2017 so grab one and get her in there.

To repeat, be sure to do some diag before throwing parts at it as that will only add more frustration to the whole situation.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM or post em up here.

The more you learn, the more you realize how little you know.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-11-2018, 07:26 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Most likely the starter, had mine start to die out around 13k miles where it would make a high pitch noise when starting and then eventually wouldn't turn at all. Couldn't find one used so had to pay $375 for a new one
post #7 of 10 Old 04-12-2018, 06:11 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

how many miles on the bike
post #8 of 10 Old 04-25-2018, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
how many miles on the bike

38000. I noticed the other day when having someone try to push start me it was acting weird, instead of firing up when I popped the clutch in 2nd the dashboard would shut off.

I'm not good with money so the whole thing is going to have to wait.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-17-2018, 10:30 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawikidd View Post
Most likely the starter, had mine start to die out around 13k miles where it would make a high pitch noise when starting and then eventually wouldn't turn at all. Couldn't find one used so had to pay $375 for a new one
Where did you buy yours for 375? I need one.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-18-2018, 12:24 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

https://www.partzilla.com/product/kawasaki/21163-0064

$375.29 + free delivery. Please double check your model on the Related Fitment List.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in