Gen 5: 2016 -> Starter crapped out last night on my 2016.... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 08-11-2017, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Starter crapped out last night on my 2016....

Wonder how many others have had a similar issue. I pulled the starter out and took it to my buddy who works at a shop and this is the 2nd one he's had this week where the magnets have come loose from the housing. I thought my ZX6R was a bit of a bitch to change the starter on but changing them on these ZX10Rs make the ZX6R look like baby stuff. :)

Heading out to Colorado next Friday so I am glad this crapped out last night and not on day 1 of our trip!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-11-2017, 08:48 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

You don't change the oil?

Bike looks show; how many miles?
post #3 of 22 Old 08-11-2017, 09:21 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Same issue on my '12 at around 12k miles. Starter was making a weak noise and i thought it was the battery but after buying a new one im having the same issue. Is there a rebuild kit or are you getting a new starter?

post #4 of 22 Old 08-11-2017, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
you don't change the oil?

Bike looks show; how many miles?

post #5 of 22 Old 08-11-2017, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawikidd View Post
Same issue on my '12 at around 12k miles. Starter was making a weak noise and i thought it was the battery but after buying a new one im having the same issue. Is there a rebuild kit or are you getting a new starter?
That little bugger is 500 bucks. My bike is out of warranty already but my buddy called up Kawi and mentioned this is the 2nd one he's seen in a week and if there wasn't something they could do. Kawi said they would cover it, even though it's out of warranty! I am paying an extra 80 bucks to get it expedited because I need it for my trip. They totally didn't have to cover this part so I am extremely impressed with them! They even covered a jug of coolant because you have to drain the cooling system to get the starter out. I had the same issue with it acting weak. I had a 120Ah lithium in it which is less than the stock battery so I recently put a 240 in it. To be honest it seemed weak from the day I picked it up from the dealer when it was brand new. I think it was a problem from the start that just slowly got worse and worse and then just completely crapped out last night.
kawikidd and Honey Badger like this.

Last edited by tdh; 08-12-2017 at 02:48 PM.
post #6 of 22 Old 08-12-2017, 06:52 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
You're not alone. The starter on my Gen 5 is on its last legs at 14K miles and my buddy's Gen 4 has gone through two of them, the original and a used one from eBay. TDH, did your buddy mention the possibility of rebuilding it or is replacement the only option?
post #7 of 22 Old 08-12-2017, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

They do have a parts breakdown for the starter. Unfortunately the housing is not one of the parts! So, it's either buy a new one or find a used one off Ebay.

post #8 of 22 Old 08-12-2017, 12:16 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I was looking at the manual and aren't you able to remove the starter without digging that deep into the bike? Service Manual page # 16-47... I only ask because my Gen 5 since new has had starting issues and the battery has always came back good. If I needed to get to the starter to replace, I'd like to know which is best way of doing so.
post #9 of 22 Old 08-12-2017, 12:24 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K16/10r View Post
I was looking at the manual and aren't you able to remove the starter without digging that deep into the bike? Service Manual page # 16-47... I only ask because my Gen 5 since new has had starting issues and the battery has always came back good. If I needed to get to the starter to replace, I'd like to know which is best way of doing so.
Have to take off the thermostat housing blocking the starter so its easier to do with the tank off. i did mine with the air box still on
2K16/10r likes this.
post #10 of 22 Old 08-12-2017, 12:33 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawikidd View Post
Have to take off the thermostat housing blocking the starter so its easier to do with the tank off. i did mine with the air box still on

OK, sweet. I assume its doable then if you were able to get it done, still very tight? Was it a pain in the ass? I am still under warranty but I don't like anyone else working on my bike. My dealer is cool enough to warranty certain things and allow me to do the install such as my brake light switch that went bad.. part warrantied and I did the work. Being by the water they are more busy with watercraft/boat work and I refuse to drop my bike off for weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.