Gen 4: 2011-2015 sprockets and chain - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 04-22-2018, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

sprockets and chain

Good evening everyone. i was out riding last night and unfortunately i broke a good portion of my teeth in my sprocket and it's time to order a new one. From the previous owner its a 520 set with rk chain, rear sprocket was renthal and my front sprocket was driven. not trying to piece out like that and looking to get one set if possible. i read some good things about driven but wanted to see if anyone has any other recommendations they think i should go with. Thanks in advance for all advise really appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-22-2018, 06:55 PM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I've been using and selling the Drive Systems steel stuff with DID ZVM-X chain for about 4 seasons now. They last forever with minimal maintenance. In fact I kinda wish they weren't so good as I sell a lot less sprocket kits now that everyone has gone away from Alloy sprockets we all used to use to these Steel rears.
gonzosport9 likes this.
post #3 of 20 Old 04-23-2018, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
I've been using and selling the Drive Systems steel stuff with DID ZVM-X chain for about 4 seasons now. They last forever with minimal maintenance. In fact I kinda wish they weren't so good as I sell a lot less sprocket kits now that everyone has gone away from Alloy sprockets we all used to use to these Steel rears.
How much would a set cost me??

post #4 of 20 Old 04-23-2018, 07:56 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Now is a good time to just start from scratch. Screw the 520 chain BS and stick with OEM pitches. Also, avoid driven for your drive-train. I know they're products are widely used and backed but stick with a company that specializes in chain/sprocket manufacturing like Vortex, DID, Renthal, JT, or RK. Try a -2/-4, 525 pitch set-up. You're dropping weight and you're not screwing with any power (you'll get a +2% torque gain and -2% top speed). If you're having a hard time finding sprockets with that tooth count try this: https://www.motosport.com/motorcycle..._position=Rear

Only con to dropping weight like this though is sprocket life. You're looking at 90% life vs OEM 525 gearing, but probably 100+% the life of your 520 set-up.
gonzosport9 likes this.

Last edited by ddipaola; 04-23-2018 at 09:51 AM.
post #5 of 20 Old 04-23-2018, 08:38 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

buy a EK 3D chain, buy a stock back, plenti in ebay like new and weight the same as a brand steel, and buy a renthal or driven front -1.

and forget about this.
post #6 of 20 Old 04-23-2018, 08:42 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Agreed, I even started using Stainless steel rear sprockets on my Yz450 motocross bike. They are cut out big time so the weight is less than a conventional steel sprocket. They last forever. The only drawback is that they last so long you forget that you should replace the chain before it breaks or wears out.
gonzosport9 and ddipaola like this.
post #7 of 20 Old 04-23-2018, 12:11 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
been happy with my DID Chain 520 setup with driven rear and front sprocket -1 +2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0433.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	415626  
gonzosport9 likes this.

2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R

~Woolich ECU Flash/Log Box/AutoTune~Driven Block Off Plates~Woodcraft Frame sliders~Cox Radiator Guard~OEM Seat Cowl~Tinted Hotbodies Venom Windscreen~Lightech Chain Adjusters/Axle Sliders/Spools~Sato Rearsets/Race Hooks/Bar Ends/Reservoir Covers~Pazzo Shorty Levers~Engine Ice~Motodynamics Rear Turn Signals~Ohlins TTX MKII Rear Shock~R&G Case Savers~M4 Street Slayer Exhaust~Ohlins Race SCU~-1 +2 520 Driven Sprockets~520 DID Gold Chain~
post #8 of 20 Old 04-23-2018, 01:41 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

-1 +2 = no top end.... no bueno

gen4 is -1F
gen 5 is +1R
gonzosport9 and ddipaola like this.
post #9 of 20 Old 04-23-2018, 02:40 PM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp12 View Post
-1 +2 = no top end.... no bueno

gen4 is -1F
gen 5 is +1R

Come on bro...

1. The bike as delivered is limited to 186mph
2. The bike as delivered barely has enough hp to pull redline in 6th gear and you aren't going to set any top speed records
3. Who in the hell is really riding around at redline in 6th gear at 186+mph?

CanyonCarver and belkins like this.
post #10 of 20 Old 04-23-2018, 03:02 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

LDH,

I really respect your point of view...makes you sense...

1 - A flash and the bike is not limited.
2- correct, the bike barely gets to near the limiter in 6th even with flash... mine has like 193hp and -1F gets 13700rpm in the data logger when riding here in 6th gear.
3- Bring you bike to Dominican Republic and get ready to ride really fast.... more than a couple of bikes here blown up in the way from Sto Dgo to Punta Cana... long straights and 130+mph curves. for 50kms.

you need top speed not to get records, you need top speed because when you ride with guys that can ride fast you need all you can get, and my experience is, you get 2 short and the bike just revs and revs and dont move forward (hope I make sense), 2 long and the bike does not get to the sweet spot, you need the bike short so it can move the bike when winds are not helping and when the wind favors, the bike the power does not drop...

-1F and +2 on the back you lose on a gen4 like 6mph

the shortest for flash stock power would be -1+1.
michael4012 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in