Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

sprockets and chain

Gen 4: 2011-15 
13K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  LDH 
#1 ·
Good evening everyone. i was out riding last night and unfortunately i broke a good portion of my teeth in my sprocket and it's time to order a new one. From the previous owner its a 520 set with rk chain, rear sprocket was renthal and my front sprocket was driven. not trying to piece out like that and looking to get one set if possible. i read some good things about driven but wanted to see if anyone has any other recommendations they think i should go with. Thanks in advance for all advise really appreciate it!

#2 ·
I've been using and selling the Drive Systems steel stuff with DID ZVM-X chain for about 4 seasons now. They last forever with minimal maintenance. In fact I kinda wish they weren't so good as I sell a lot less sprocket kits now that everyone has gone away from Alloy sprockets we all used to use to these Steel rears.

#4 · (Edited)
Now is a good time to just start from scratch. Screw the 520 chain BS and stick with OEM pitches. Also, avoid driven for your drive-train. I know they're products are widely used and backed but stick with a company that specializes in chain/sprocket manufacturing like Vortex, DID, Renthal, JT, or RK. Try a -2/-4, 525 pitch set-up. You're dropping weight and you're not screwing with any power (you'll get a +2% torque gain and -2% top speed). If you're having a hard time finding sprockets with that tooth count try this: https://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/sprockets?has_mmy=true&sprocket_position=Rear

Only con to dropping weight like this though is sprocket life. You're looking at 90% life vs OEM 525 gearing, but probably 100+% the life of your 520 set-up.

#7 ·
been happy with my DID Chain 520 setup with driven rear and front sprocket -1 +2.

Attachments

Reactions: gonzosport9
#10 ·
LDH,

I really respect your point of view...makes you sense...

1 - A flash and the bike is not limited.
2- correct, the bike barely gets to near the limiter in 6th even with flash... mine has like 193hp and -1F gets 13700rpm in the data logger when riding here in 6th gear.
3- Bring you bike to Dominican Republic and get ready to ride really fast.... more than a couple of bikes here blown up in the way from Sto Dgo to Punta Cana... long straights and 130+mph curves. for 50kms.

you need top speed not to get records, you need top speed because when you ride with guys that can ride fast you need all you can get, and my experience is, you get 2 short and the bike just revs and revs and dont move forward (hope I make sense), 2 long and the bike does not get to the sweet spot, you need the bike short so it can move the bike when winds are not helping and when the wind favors, the bike the power does not drop...

-1F and +2 on the back you lose on a gen4 like 6mph

the shortest for flash stock power would be -1+1.

#17 ·
Stay 525, use oem or vortex sprokets and use this chain:

Amazon.com: D.I.D 525 ZVM-X Super Street Series Chain - 120 Links - Gold , Chain Type: 525, Chain Length: 120, Color: Gold, Chain Application: Offroad 525ZVM-X GOLD X 120: Automotive

I wear out chains about every 18k miles; chain wear based upon your riding conditions and riding level. Oem chain wear well but wear out for me about 12k; dealer installed new EK chain and that stretched with every ride but can't recall number of miles it lasted but very little. Steel front wears good but steel back oem or vortex have the best wear for me; steel only.

#20 ·
Stay 525, use oem or vortex sprokets and use this chain:

Amazon.com: D.I.D 525 ZVM-X Super Street Series Chain - 120 Links - Gold , Chain Type: 525, Chain Length: 120, Color: Gold, Chain Application: Offroad 525ZVM-X GOLD X 120: Automotive

I wear out chains about every 18k miles; chain wear based upon your riding conditions and riding level. Oem chain wear well but wear out for me about 12k; dealer installed new EK chain and that stretched with every ride but can't recall number of miles it lasted but very little. Steel front wears good but steel back oem or vortex have the best wear for me; steel only.
Why 525 chain? 520 just as strong or stronger than stock, and lighter? Steel front/rear sprockets agreed!

Tried aluminum rear sprocket once, and only once - never again. They degrade fast as hell. The hybrid alum/steel rear is interesting.

Also tried 530 chain - heavy as fvk, and a very noticeable difference in performance once switched back to 520.

#21 ·
ive only used Driven steel sprockets on my bikes along with DID 525 ZVMX. the chains are great and you get a lot more miles out of the sprockets.

#25 ·
For what it's worth, I have -1 +2 on my gen5 and top speed is limited to 179 mph redlined in 6th. It hurt me a little at Road Atlanta's back stretch but not enough to change anything. With this gearing I can run in 2nd gear for most hairpin turns which is beautiful so I don't have to risk a false neutral finding 1st.

#27 ·
Hi am just doing abit off research and came across your post am looking at going - 1+2 on my gen 4 zx10r 2011 and I am not sure wat chain is best for this bike? Found renthal hard anodised rear & front?
Ya know if you are racing and this is the difference of being on the podium or not an aluminum sprocket makes sense as it is small amount of money compared to a proper race budget to save a few ounces of weight, but outside of that with a 200hp bike you are way better off with a steel rear 520 sprocket when compared to the Alloy Sprocket which is always going to wear out and do so much quicker.

I have posted this before, but the info is still valid and I specifically mention Renthal Sprockets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.