Gen 5: 2016 -> Sprocket change or OEM? - Page 5 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 45 Old 01-13-2017, 09:13 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to Otto Man
At places like Road Atlanta, Road America, VIR, NJMP? Yeah, not too far off from stock. Nothing night and day like -1/+3 stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 45 Old 01-14-2017, 04:18 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Our tracks require it, not because I'm slow and can't carry corner speed but because the track is slow and if you run stock gearing you'll be using 1st-3rd gear and maybe touching 4th. You'll get left behind out of corners because you'll be at 4,000rpm in 2nd. Same as I can't run the same shock/fork springs at every track. If you want to be competitive with the top guys you need to change things and make the bike work. We had a guy run +1f (18) and not sure the rear, at Mosport last year. He lost to Corti by milliseconds.

I'll say it again, every track is different and why I carry 3 fronts, 5 rears, and two chains.

On the street who's carrying huge corner speed anyway?

Last edited by dricked; 01-14-2017 at 07:17 AM.
post #43 of 45 Old 02-21-2017, 05:37 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Then there are guys like me who prefer +2 rear only so the change is not too aggressive and it shortens the wheelbase to help with turn-in slightly. Plus the rear sprocket is much easier to change. This is essentially the same as going -1F, but with the advantages I just mention.
Just so Im clear, you can go +2 and keep the stock chain, or would you need to get an aftermarket 525 or go down to 520 chain?

post #44 of 45 Old 02-22-2017, 06:23 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRTone View Post
Just so Im clear, you can go +2 and keep the stock chain, or would you need to get an aftermarket 525 or go down to 520 chain?
Usually you can go +2 and keep the stock 525 chain, as long as you have enough room to move the axle forward. Safer to go -1 Front for about the same effect as +2R...and IDK why people think it's so hard to change? A heavy duty impact wrench is all you need.

If you switch to a 520 chain, then you'll need both F and R sprockets.

To be honest, -1F and Rifleman was plenty to really wake my bike up and effectively use 3rd gear on back roads for a street bike. I'm pretty skeptical of racers who feel they need all those gearing options on 1000.
Jlefevre1122 likes this.

Thank you to my racing sponsors Riders Discount and Alpha1 Vinylworks
post #45 of 45 Old 03-05-2017, 02:50 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Glad I'm not the only one who thought the Gen 5 gearing is way too long, I went with a -1/+1 Renthal Sprockets, they should be here any day now, will install them and report back. Keeping the OEM chain for now as it barely has 600 km's on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.