Gen 5: 2016 -> Sprocket change or OEM? - Page 3 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 45 Old 01-04-2017, 05:57 PM
The Pace
 
scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: watsonville, ca
Posts: 6,782
Posting Frequency
 
With metzler rr on back go 16 on front and see how the 39 feels. If 39 feels off then go one higher Vortex on back and test. I think oem one higher would work but haven't tested that yet. Front go bridgestone rs10 G. It V's way slow for me. If you don't use met rr rear then just go up on the rear sprocket until you find what you like.
scout is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 45 Old 01-05-2017, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider
 
vroomshankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: India
Posts: 147
Posting Frequency
Images: 3
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
With metzler rr on back go 16 on front and see how the 39 feels. If 39 feels off then go one higher Vortex on back and test. I think oem one higher would work but haven't tested that yet. Front go bridgestone rs10 G. It V's way slow for me. If you don't use met rr rear then just go up on the rear sprocket until you find what you like.
Hi Scout. Thanks for the suggestion. I oscillate between RS10s and Metz M7s on the track. Have decided to go ahead with a +2R and a stock front for now. Incase it acts up then will go for a -1F and stock rear as suggested.
vroomshankar is offline  
post #23 of 45 Old 01-05-2017, 10:47 AM
OMG Look at that squid!!
 
trackaddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: KCMO
Posts: 2,581
Posting Frequency
Images: 51
   
I dropped 1 tooth on the CS and it made a world of difference. I would consider going up 1 in the rear, but it would be overkill. Just my opinion, but the bike is damn fast as is. The -1 CS was what it needed for the lack of low end torque the bike has stock.

Because wheelie!!!

16' ZX10R - 08' Hypermotard 1100s
14' Ducati Monster 1200S - SOLD
13' RSV4-R - SOLD
My ZX10R's 11' - 08' - 07' - 05' - 04' - ALL SOLD
Miss my Black 04' the most!
Never enough money, never enough time!


trackaddict is offline  
 
post #24 of 45 Old 01-05-2017, 12:51 PM
GP Rider
 
mpp12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,496
Posting Frequency
 
in a gen5 I would not go beyond +2 rear or -1 front. unless you want to lose top end...
mpp12 is offline  
post #25 of 45 Old 01-05-2017, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider
 
vroomshankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: India
Posts: 147
Posting Frequency
Images: 3
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaddict View Post
I dropped 1 tooth on the CS and it made a world of difference. I would consider going up 1 in the rear, but it would be overkill. Just my opinion, but the bike is damn fast as is. The -1 CS was what it needed for the lack of low end torque the bike has stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp12 View Post
in a gen5 I would not go beyond +2 rear or -1 front. unless you want to lose top end...
Thanks guys. Going ahead with a +2 at the rear. I dont think I will need to lower the gearing any further than that unless I make the bike a track-only machine.

Any feedback on the EK 3D chain? Going for the 525 pitch
vroomshankar is offline  
post #26 of 45 Old 01-06-2017, 08:11 AM
GP Rider
 
mpp12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,496
Posting Frequency
 
the bike comes with a 525 EK 3d chain...

I have the gold and black one... excellent, the stock one lasted me like 15K kms.
mpp12 is offline  
post #27 of 45 Old 01-07-2017, 11:16 AM
Squid
 
MotoMillion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 41
Posting Frequency
 
For those looking to get some really high quality sprockets for your ZX10R, there is currently a group buy posted.

You can view the group buy thread here: BPP Superleggera Light Weight Front & Rear Sprocket Group Buy
MotoMillion is offline  
post #28 of 45 Old 01-07-2017, 01:44 PM
WSB Rider
 
Otto Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Fred-vegas, VA
Posts: 724
Posting Frequency
  
Send a message via AIM to Otto Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
This is a completely subjective topic that no one can answer over the internet. It completely depends on what YOU like. Some people like -1/+1, others swear -1/+2, and others still like just +1 or +2 on the back. YOU have to try different combinations to see what YOU like in the riding conditions that YOU do and that make sense for YOU and YOUR bike.

Same goes with a 520 or 525 conversion. If you're that conflicted about it, stick with the 525 stock size. Aluminum on the rear if you don't mind changing sprockets more often. Steel if you want to put it on and basically forget about it.
This hits the nail on the head. I have no clue why this "-1+2" bullshit has become the norm for pretty much every bike out there, but it's gotta stop.

You will find most street riders gear down their bikes because they do nothing but putt around on the road with them, so when 85% of your riding consists of going the speed limit (that you can do in 1st gear), yes, shorter gearing is a left handed way of "waking up" the bike.

Once you get to be a fast track day dude/racer, you'll find most people sticking pretty close to factory gearing.
mpp12 likes this.
Otto Man is offline  
post #29 of 45 Old 01-08-2017, 08:38 AM
OMG Look at that squid!!
 
trackaddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: KCMO
Posts: 2,581
Posting Frequency
Images: 51
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Man View Post
This hits the nail on the head. I have no clue why this "-1+2" bullshit has become the norm for pretty much every bike out there, but it's gotta stop.

You will find most street riders gear down their bikes because they do nothing but putt around on the road with them, so when 85% of your riding consists of going the speed limit (that you can do in 1st gear), yes, shorter gearing is a left handed way of "waking up" the bike.

Once you get to be a fast track day dude/racer, you'll find most people sticking pretty close to factory gearing.

Umm no. But, you are entitled to your opinion. I've ridden on track with, and been friends with many an expert MCRA, CMRA, CCS and WERA racer. That statement is complete BS. Gearing is, and has been always been dependent on the conditions. Track or street. If it's a 4 mile track where you top out... at like say Road America then yes, stocking gearing would be most guys choice. Shorter tracks like say Heartland Park Topeka, you will definitely run -1 +2 or in that vicinity. For the street, dropping a tooth on the CS is the most economical and feasible method to get around a 1st gear that runs into 100mph.
Jlefevre1122 likes this.

Because wheelie!!!

16' ZX10R - 08' Hypermotard 1100s
14' Ducati Monster 1200S - SOLD
13' RSV4-R - SOLD
My ZX10R's 11' - 08' - 07' - 05' - 04' - ALL SOLD
Miss my Black 04' the most!
Never enough money, never enough time!


trackaddict is offline  
post #30 of 45 Old 01-08-2017, 03:40 PM
WSB Rider
 
Otto Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Fred-vegas, VA
Posts: 724
Posting Frequency
  
Send a message via AIM to Otto Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaddict View Post
Umm no. But, you are entitled to your opinion. I've ridden on track with, and been friends with many an expert MCRA, CMRA, CCS and WERA racer. That statement is complete BS. Gearing is, and has been always been dependent on the conditions. Track or street. If it's a 4 mile track where you top out... at like say Road America then yes, stocking gearing would be most guys choice. Shorter tracks like say Heartland Park Topeka, you will definitely run -1 +2 or in that vicinity. For the street, dropping a tooth on the CS is the most economical and feasible method to get around a 1st gear that runs into 100mph.
Ohhh...you've ridden with experts. Forgive me.

Otto Man is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome