Sprocket change needed? - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 45 Old 03-27-2016, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Its just so sluggish on the low end. I dont want to have to be up to 10k rpm to hit the power band. Ill be going way too fast for city driving at 10k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 45 Old 03-27-2016, 02:25 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighit2883 View Post
Hey guys, 1st post here. Im new to the sport bike world. Ive had several harleys and now ive decided to go with something different. I just bought a 2016 zx10r KRT and ive noticed on the low end its really sluggish. Ive ridden a cbr 1000rr before and that thing was such a low end monster it was addicting. I was really hoping my zx would be head and shoulders above the cbr but im sad to say im a little disappointed. I feel a sprocket change would do me good. I do not track the bike. I want it for just ripping up the streets and potentially a couple passes at the drag strip. Is this what the Dr ordered? What sprocket would be best? Price range? Just a noob here looking for some advice

I totally agree with the bottom end of this bike but like the guys are saying up top it's outrageously strong! I have ordered a 16t front and 41t rear and hope its gonna help! I did the same on my GSXR 750 and it became a beast low down! With a handful of throttle it would come up in first from about 15MPH id say do that before the flash as its a much cheaper option and if you don't like it you can just go back to stock! Here in the UK front sprockets are about £15 and rears start from about £30 odd! I have gone for the supersprox at £50 as i think it looks good. Also changing to a 520 is unnecessary if you're riding on the road and will wear out quicker! Im sticking with a 525!
post #13 of 45 Old 03-27-2016, 07:31 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Supersport 1000cc bikes are like big fast 600's now. They have hugely tall gearing and sacrifice midrange power for top end delivery. This makes the bike better for the race track.

I know it is too late for you, but I wish people would look at bikes like the Z1000 or ninja 1000 for street riding. You would love the bottom end on even a stock one.

Now to answer your question, if you drop a tooth in the front (2 if you want it to be really fun) it is a cheap way of creating torque. If your not going to ride the bike above 9,000-10,000 you will be very very disappointed with the 2016 ZX10r

It is a big nimble 600 with a top end pull that is really gnarly. The bottom end is shit though because your only using that to leave the pits....

post #14 of 45 Old 03-27-2016, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Haha anyone wanna buy it for 500 under msrp? Abs version
post #15 of 45 Old 03-27-2016, 10:39 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

My buddy sold a zx14 for his. He complained about the low end too but says now that his hit 1000 miles it seems to be better. I say give it time. Big power down low will only put you on your head.
post #16 of 45 Old 03-27-2016, 11:21 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Well, if you're driving a hellcat, you can probably afford sprockets and a flash...

If you want good low end, I'd go -2 in the front...
I'm riding -2+2 and that shit's ridiculous fun!
Also need your ecu flashed, contact zx10archer here for info, he knows his shit.

Few hundred bucks for both, you won't be disappointed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post
i could give two shits if you were taking a bubble bath in applesauce being fed grapes by lemurs with electrodes attached to your nipples in the bed of a semi truck, as long as you're not holding up traffic, go for it
post #17 of 45 Old 03-28-2016, 10:03 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Do a -1 front sprocket change first. Cheap and easy. If you still want more low end then get a +2 rear after. If you still need more, and you have re-flashed, you may be on the wrong bike- or you have not experienced the top end rush yet.
post #18 of 45 Old 03-28-2016, 11:19 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
Not harley and not sure what year CBR but for certain you have not dialed into the 10r. This won't hit the limiter until about 13k. Use the high rpms if all safe, meaning, you have no one on the road. leave the chain oem 525. Leave the sprocs alone until you figure out what this bike is about and you'll most likely not change them. This bike will tell you how to ride it once you learn the language set.
what he said. The 10R - well... a re-mapped 10R anyway, will launch hard enough to make your eyes water. If you’re chugging around at under 4k rpms you’re not doing it right. Try that on a Ducati in top gear and you’ll be stalled, the fact that the Kaw can still actually accelerate in top gear at like ( 2500? ) rpms is a testament to how well the engineers thought out the premise of “Hmm... how lazy will our target riders be, do we need to make it run in top gear at only 2000 rpms? Ducati doesn’t and the magazines all give them a pass”

The current ZX10’s are much more responsive in low rpms than the first gen ZX14’s were in ’06 - ’07, hence the ‘pull the secondary plates’ mod became popular. In I think it was ’08 they remapped the secondary plates? Anyway at some point later on. The power was anemic below 6000 rpms.

Give the bike some break in time and get more saddle time first.
Wild Colonial Boy likes this.
post #19 of 45 Old 03-28-2016, 11:55 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

for street riding I was REALLY happy with -1 front (16 tooth), that made all the difference in the world and you'll still be able to hit about 180mph, just a lot faster.

Keep in mind the zx10 is geared extremely tall, mainly so squids don't get into trouble too fast. Gear it down and then let us know what you think. Love the HellCat!

Yoshimura ... DynoJet PCV ... ECUleashed flash ... BMC race airfilter ... DynoTuned ... K-Tech 20DDS Fork/Cartridges ... K-Tech 35DDS Rear Shock ... Rear Linkage kit ... Brembo T-Drive rotors ... Accossato Master Cylinder ... Vesrah pads ...
post #20 of 45 Old 03-29-2016, 03:28 AM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighit2883 View Post
Bike is literally brand new. 10 miles on it. I bought it took it for a little ride then having it shipped home to me on tuesday. The bike was located 4 hrs from home and the weather sucked so im just having them ship it. Sucks im starting to have second thoughts. I feel like my hellcat is even quicker to 100 mph
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man View Post
How can you make that decision in 10 Miles???

Give it a chance! Do the remap and de-restrict before throwing in the towel.

THIS ^^^^....ONLY 10MILES and you feel your Hellcat is quicker JUST to put into prospective my old 12 year ZX10R basically stock will do 121mph in just a 1/8mile with over 200lb rider, the Hellcat will do that speed maybe a little more in a 1/4 mile. ....feel is one thing results is another if your looking for feel than you should have bought a Gen 1 bike.

bloo

Sent from My Computer via DSL mid to low service Firefox updated version, sometimes wireless sometimes Wire from the garage depending on connection speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.