Sports Tourer zx10r - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 05-12-2017, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Sports Tourer zx10r

Has anyone ever toured on a zx10r and if so what mods did you do to make it comfortable? I previously had an old 1998 cbr900rr fire blade and could ride it all day.... But the zx10r is hurting after about 45 mins!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 05-12-2017, 01:39 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I did 7,600ish miles on my gen 4 in about 2.5 weeks and I didn't think it was that bad. It was bone stock, most of the time by the time I had to get gas I'd get off the bike and stretch a bit to help be less sore/stiff. I also had a tank bag I kept it soft so I could lay down on the tank if I was cruising on the highway for a bit.

I just picked up a Yamaha Stratoliner and I don't think I'd ever want to do another trip on a sport bike again. The factory bags are so handy and the riding position with the backrest and highway pegs are like riding a couch down the highway. Yet still handles decently enough. I never wanted to push my gen 4 too much when I was so far away from home, sure I went a lot faster in the corners than on a cruiser and you can definitely do tour on a zx10 but just isn't as comfy as a bike thats more made for that kind of stuff.

I would get a good seat, maybe some heavy bar ends to help reduce vibration in the bars if thats bugging you, some way to bring luggage with (i used a kriega combo pack with a tank bag) and a little cruise control thing is handy to help stretch out your right hand sometimes.
post #3 of 38 Old 05-12-2017, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

I have a st2 Ducati but I'd like to just keep one bike.

If I can make the 10r comfortable then I can run just one bike.

So I'm thinking..... Gillies variobar.

Do gillies rear sets go lower than standard?

Heavier bar ends help that?

post #4 of 38 Old 05-12-2017, 02:22 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
My Vortex rearsets will go 5mm lower and 5mm further forward than stock. I run some pretty hefty Zeta Racing bar end weights to reduce vibration which helps a lot.
Petelucherts likes this.
post #5 of 38 Old 05-12-2017, 02:32 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

add some woodcraft clip on's with riser, to the rear sets and lower pegs. that will help with the ergo's. a good soft seat, and some soft bags (TDH, has some good ones, and a thread about touring with the gen 4-5).

Ski
Petelucherts likes this.

May we all, get to have a chance to ride the fast one, walk away wiser when we crash one, keep hopin that the best one is the last one.
post #6 of 38 Old 05-12-2017, 02:36 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I've been thinking about some Woodcraft clip-ons with a rise for my Gen2, but I'm wondering how high is to high so that it interferes with the fairing?
post #7 of 38 Old 05-12-2017, 02:48 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I've done several 500 mile (800kms) days on a bone stock Gen 4.
The trick for me was stretching before and during the ride and moving around in the saddle when you get a straight section of road.
Petelucherts likes this.
post #8 of 38 Old 05-12-2017, 06:45 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Johnny View Post
I've done several 500 mile (800kms) days on a bone stock Gen 4.
The trick for me was stretching before and during the ride and moving around in the saddle when you get a straight section of road.
800?!?! I would've had to amputate my butt after a day like that. 550km was my max and I felt like dying.
jr0065 and evilaugust like this.

2013 ABS, Bridgestone S20/T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, Showa BFRC Lite w/ ukzx10r's plates & 5th Gen dogbone, GP shift, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, set up by RMR Suspensions, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), Bestem carbon, PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modified OEM sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 45,000km+ and going strong!
post #9 of 38 Old 05-13-2017, 08:38 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

The 2017 Ninja1000 looks sweet. Just needs cruise control.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...%7C%20Combined

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS

Last edited by obijack; 05-13-2017 at 08:48 PM.
post #10 of 38 Old 05-13-2017, 09:11 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

I'm new to the Zx world, but I bought it in a large part to tour on, I came from an 05 R1 that I toured lots on. For me, I don't see the zx10 being extra uncomfortable to be on all day with just rear sets. Although I sat on a saddleman seat the other day and I think my ass is angry at me now for not already having one. I find the zx10 and my old R1 much more comfortable with leathers on, that extra bit of padding seems to help a ton compared to jeans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.