Speedometer not working? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 08-16-2017, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Question Speedometer not working?

So when I got the bike the speedometer wasn't working. All the guage and instruments were good but it just read 0 mph at every speed. The day after the F1 code came up with the trouble light. Trouble code was 24 which is speed sensor. I haven't looked into it too hard but I just wanted to know what the likely culprit would be. Bad speed sensor at the sproket, cable pinched or cut, or maybe someone grinded off the tab to override the 189mph speed limiter? Should I follow the service manual procedure for checking the speed sensor, then trace the cable all the way up to the instrument panel? Where does the cable run through? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-16-2017, 05:59 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage

So many typos though. "Grinded off" isn't even a phrase. Let alone grinding off a tab to overcome the speed limiter since that won't work.

First, it's an "FI" light. As in, Fuel Injection, Fault Indicator, etc. It's NOT an F1 light. As stated here....
All Gens: So, your "FI" light is on.....

Secondly, it's likely the sensor is just bad. That's the common failure point on them. It's connected directly the harness, so if there's an issue with wiring, that's not likely and would require and new main harness for the whole bike.

Third, it could also be the instrument cluster, but that's rare. You'd have to pull the cluster, put power on it to fire it up on the bench, and then provide an input voltage on the speed sensor pins to verify that the cluster reads something. But the sensor itself is more common than this.

Capncalyx and thundercoupe9 like this.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 12 Old 08-16-2017, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Great, thanks SkyDork. My bad, I just got the bike and was going off of stuff I read in the forums and the manual. Damn, thought it read F1, FI does make more sense. Lol. So how is the speed limited on the Gen 2s? I thought the ECU went off the speed sensor to know when to limit it.

post #4 of 12 Old 08-16-2017, 10:22 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post

So many typos though. "Grinded off" isn't even a phrase. Let alone grinding off a tab to overcome the speed limiter since that won't work.

First, it's an "FI" light. As in, Fuel Injection, Fault Indicator, etc. It's NOT an F1 light. As stated here....
All Gens: So, your "FI" light is on.....

Secondly, it's likely the sensor is just bad. That's the common failure point on them. It's connected directly the harness, so if there's an issue with wiring, that's not likely and would require and new main harness for the whole bike.

Third, it could also be the instrument cluster, but that's rare. You'd have to pull the cluster, put power on it to fire it up on the bench, and then provide an input voltage on the speed sensor pins to verify that the cluster reads something. But the sensor itself is more common than this.

Those darn F1 lights Go Scuderia Ferrari.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-17-2017, 09:38 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercoupe9 View Post
Those darn F1 lights Go Scuderia Ferrari.
Helitech likes this.

#WordCrimes

post #6 of 12 Old 08-17-2017, 09:47 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07_ZX10R View Post
Great, thanks SkyDork. My bad, I just got the bike and was going off of stuff I read in the forums and the manual. Damn, thought it read F1, FI does make more sense. Lol. So how is the speed limited on the Gen 2s? I thought the ECU went off the speed sensor to know when to limit it.
It basically does limit the speed using the sensor and a couple other inputs, from what I recall. It's been 11 years since I had mine and was up to date on all the mods for it.

But, the speed sensor gets it's input from the output shaft of the transmission. So I'm not sure what "tab" the previous owner would grind off. If he cut a wire, that just makes the ECU think the bike isn't moving and may not defeat any limiter. Some people back then used to use a speedohealer to try and slow the displayed speed down some. But tons of people have had an erratic/failed sensor that does as you describe, so I wouldn't really worry about some sort of defeat setup until the sensor and cluster are checked out.

#WordCrimes

post #7 of 12 Old 08-17-2017, 10:01 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
It basically does limit the speed using the sensor and a couple other inputs, from what I recall. It's been 11 years since I had mine and was up to date on all the mods for it.

But, the speed sensor gets it's input from the output shaft of the transmission. So I'm not sure what "tab" the previous owner would grind off. If he cut a wire, that just makes the ECU think the bike isn't moving and may not defeat any limiter. Some people back then used to use a speedohealer to try and slow the displayed speed down some. But tons of people have had an erratic/failed sensor that does as you describe, so I wouldn't really worry about some sort of defeat setup until the sensor and cluster are checked out.
I hope Mercedes grinds their teeth to remove speed limiter and doesn't follow service manuals and take advice from fb mechanics, Ferrari will have championship in the bag
post #8 of 12 Old 08-17-2017, 10:16 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercoupe9 View Post
I hope Mercedes grinds their teeth to remove speed limiter and doesn't follow service manuals and take advice from fb mechanics, Ferrari will have championship in the bag
Stranger things have happened! I'm sure someone at Mercedes has tried that. Go Ferrar1!

#WordCrimes

post #9 of 12 Old 08-17-2017, 10:19 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Stranger things have happened! I'm sure someone at Mercedes has tried that. Go Ferrar1!

I don't know about Merc, i am sure Honduh build their power units taking advice from fb mechanics
post #10 of 12 Old 08-17-2017, 10:27 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Check the output voltage on the speed sensor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8-17-2017 10-25-32 AM.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	403721  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.