Gen 2: 2006-2007 Slow oil drip after front sprocket change - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 02-01-2018, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Slow oil drip after front sprocket change

My Gen2 has always been tighter than a drum. No leaks. Changed the front sprocket the other day. Took it off with an electric impact driver. Put the nut back on and torqued by hand. The only other semi-violent act that occurred in this operation was the tapping of the washer edge down.

Anyway, now I have a slow drip falling on the floor somewhere an inch or two behind the sprocket area. Like a small drop every day or two. What could I have done here? Is there a seal on the shaft that I could have buggered up? It was pretty cold in the garage when I was working on it. Not sure if that matters.

Just pretty bummed, because, like I said, thing has always been tight and all I did was change a damn sprocket, now I have a drip.

Any ideas here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-01-2018, 10:08 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Ive changed them on dirt bikes and it was no big deal, really. I believe the seal was less than 10.00.

The impact gun on, countershaft sprockets, is not my favorite tool. Then again, I'm sure you were screwed, just like I was. I can almost guarantee Andre The Giant tightened mine, at the factory, before the bike was sold. Then he did the oil filter....

Check that shaft for excessive play. Its not a real common thing to have leaking and it makes me wonder if something was damaged when you used the impact gun.

All I did, for mine, some seal lube, then slid the new one in place.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-01-2018, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I'm not seeing a seal on that shaft in the schematics. Not really sure what to think.

post #4 of 14 Old 02-01-2018, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Unless this?
Attached Images

post #5 of 14 Old 02-01-2018, 12:34 PM
gaz
Squid

Posting Frequency

no, shift shaft seal. larger one, 92049. look at 10 transmission on ebay, countershaft seal aparrent. like u i remove engine sprockets with electric impact. i did have one on a bike that leaked a little oil after changing sprockets. couple of drops on floor for just a few days, then stopped. unsure, maybe impact shocked seal allowing oil to seep by loosening. that seal has a spring around the sprocket spacer opening to maintain tension against spacer to be oil tight. it can be replaced if careful without splitting cases with sprocket/spacer removed. it's basically metal fabbed/rubber coated. can be drilled with small hole to side and jerked out, good news is its got a slight taper that helps it go back in cases. i've done couple over the years. me, i'd give it a day or 2.
SkyDork and michael4012 like this.

Last edited by gaz; 02-01-2018 at 12:59 PM.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-01-2018, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz View Post
no, shift shaft seal. larger one, 92049. look at 10 transmission on ebay, countershaft seal aparrent. like u i remove engine sprockets with electric impact. i did have one on a bike that leaked a little oil after changing sprockets. couple of drops on floor for just a few days, then stopped. unsure, maybe impact shocked seal allowing oil to seep by loosening. that seal has a spring around the sprocket spacer opening to maintain tension against spacer to be oil tight. it can be replaced if careful without splitting cases with sprocket/spacer removed. it's basically metal fabbed/rubber coated. can be drilled with small hole to side and jerked out, good news is its got a slight taper that helps it go back in cases. i've done couple over the years. me, i'd give it a day or 2.
Kinda thinking the same thing. Maybe take it out for a little shake down. See what happens. Thanks for the advice.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-01-2018, 02:35 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilaugust View Post
Kinda thinking the same thing. Maybe take it out for a little shake down. See what happens. Thanks for the advice.
You wont get that seal out without damaging mate, if your gonna pull it you need a new one to fit with a litle gasket sealent to make sure.

192MPH stock engined 2008
post #8 of 14 Old 02-01-2018, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I mean, take the bike out for a ride.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
michael4012 likes this.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-01-2018, 04:35 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilaugust View Post
I mean, take the bike out for a ride.

Aaaaa i see i must of lost that in translation

192MPH stock engined 2008
post #10 of 14 Old 02-01-2018, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael4012 View Post
Aaaaa i see i must of lost that in translation
All good. I'm just thinking if I get things good and hot, it might seal back up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.