Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Shifter shaft/ engine mounts

3K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Braaap21 
#1 ·
So I just picked up a 2008 zx10r have done some reading about the shifter shafts being trash. It seems like a fairly easy repair with the new 09-10 shaft but I was just seeing it theres anything additional i need to replace such as the seal when i go to do this swap. Also I have ordered some race rails to go on it as well and I noticed theres a water pipe from the radiator to the water pump on the left side that complete covers where itll mount up. If theres any insight or tips anyone can give me on either of these issues would be a great help.

#2 ·
You have to pull the clutch basket out to install the shift shaft. So you'll need at least the clutch cover gasket. Also, they aren't all "trash". If yours hasn't failed or been replaced by now, there's no indications that it needs to be replaced just for the sake of it.

Race rails? You mean stunt rails. There's nothing "race" about those heavy-ass metal bars that bolt to the frame. Mount them if you want, but if you're not stunting the bike they won't do much of anything unless it falls off the sidestand. The water pipe you're talking about is nowhere near where those things will mount up. The stunt rail will go between the forward engine mount and upper rear engine mount. Well above the piping you're mentioning. So I'm confused as to why you're worried about that.

#3 ·
The 2008 model is prone to having issues with it, and since the clutch baskets on this particular model have a tendency of blowing up, I'll already be removing that to get the rivets upgrade, so I figure while it's out, go ahead and replace the shift shaft to the newer and upgraded version while I'm there. Just have never replaced one and didn't know if there was anything else needing to be replaced as well.

For one I do stunt a bit on it and stunt rails and race rails are referred to as one in the same. I completely disagree with them not being worth it. I've had a similar set completely save a previous bike on a lowside and they have various products that mount in different locations.

RACE RAILS - Impaktechusa.com

That is the one I went with, and as you can see, it will interfere with the water pipe, just wanted to see if anyone here has had to come to adjust there setup fo have something similar work.

#5 ·
Yeah, here's the pic of it on the right side from their site. They don't show the left side, but it's no different than what I was describing other than it using the swingarm pivot and not the rear engine mount.

It's showing the rail outside of the bodywork and going to the swingarm pivot in the frame. Below is a pic of my old Gen 3 and you can see that the rail will be exterior to the tubing going into the water pump. The rails wrap over and around them so they aren't in the way.

It's your bike and you're welcome to put those things on if you want. For me, the extra weight, aerodynamic drag, and the fact that if these catch on anything while they're sliding means they dent or crack the frame makes it not worth the risk. Especially given the price of them and how hideous they are on the bike, nah. But you do your thing with them.

Attachments

Reactions: wheelz96
#6 ·
My 2008 zx10r currently has 14000km on it with the original shaft. Friends 2008 zx10r shift shaft broke at 45000km and he abused it. Shifting or trying to shift while wheeling. So it depends on how you ride it. If you wheelie and shift while wheelieing. The clutch basket and shift shaft need to be upgraded.

#7 ·
Yeah, I'm not worried about the rails, I was just mentioning it just in case anyone on here ever had to install one on this particular model. Once it comes in and I can actually look at how it lines up I'll figure something out. My main concern was replacing the shift shaft if there were any other seals or pieces I should replace along with it. I already ordered the clutch cover gasket. Nice bike though ?

#8 ·
I've just heard a lot of horror stories about the basket on the 08's and I know I'll be riding the bike hard between track days and clutch ups so I'm upgrading that just for the piece of mind and since the shift shaft is exposed already may as well do that to. From my understanding the billet basket is really only needed for when you're swapping out internals and adding forced induction like a turbo? The rivet upgrade should be able to handle just bolt ons and a flashed ecu?

#9 ·
I would advise investing in a billet clutch. zx10r, zx12, and zx14 all have problems with exploding clutches.
Here are three links to a zx10, zx12 and zx14 clutches that broke. All three of them did not break at the rivets which suggests that the whole basket is weak not just the rivets... Clutches get abused with hard launches on sticky tires as well as clutched wheelies. I personally don't believe it just happens on highly modified bikes.

Clutch Basket Broke!!! @ ZX-14.com
Clutch basket shattered - ZX Forums
2009 Kawasaki ZX10R clutch basket

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.