semi active suspension for 2018

Just announced at EICMA

Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R goes semi-active f... | Visordown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-07-2017, 03:26 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Sweeeet! I wonder if this is trickle down tech from WSBK?

Alternatively, is it meant solely to increase sales and has no benefit on track over a non-electronic suspension?

Regardless, I was thinking of a new bike for 2019 and this might be it.

2013 ABS, Bridgestone T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, GP shift, Gen5 shock/links/dogbone, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), Bestem carbon, PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modded sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 45,000km+ and going strong!
post #3 of 22 Old 11-07-2017, 07:23 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Interesting. Guess I wasn't too far off with my KECS theory all that time ago:
KECS... Hrm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschenut View Post
Sweeeet! I wonder if this is trickle down tech from WSBK?

Alternatively, is it meant solely to increase sales and has no benefit on track over a non-electronic suspension?

Regardless, I was thinking of a new bike for 2019 and this might be it.
Negative. No ECS in WSBK or MotoGP. They have linear potentiometers on the forks and shock to monitor suspension travel for tuning and data acquistion but it is not a feedback system where it is adjusting live on the track. Even most of the fast guys at track days or regional racing will pull the semi-active stuff in favor of the good old bits and pieces that you manually adjust.

The only real benefit of an active suspension is for the guys that go from the street right to the track for the weekend and then back to the street come Monday. You don't have to mess with a whole shit ton of settings before you leave for the track and when you get back home. Provided your suspension is set for your weight you can pretty much just cut loose on the track and have the suspension tighten up and then when you're back on the street relaxing it loosens up a bit.
mpp12 likes this.

post #4 of 22 Old 11-08-2017, 08:21 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX10RArcher View Post
Interesting. Guess I wasn't too far off with my KECS theory all that time ago:
KECS... Hrm...

Negative. No ECS in WSBK or MotoGP. They have linear potentiometers on the forks and shock to monitor suspension travel for tuning and data acquistion but it is not a feedback system where it is adjusting live on the track. Even most of the fast guys at track days or regional racing will pull the semi-active stuff in favor of the good old bits and pieces that you manually adjust.

The only real benefit of an active suspension is for the guys that go from the street right to the track for the weekend and then back to the street come Monday. You don't have to mess with a whole shit ton of settings before you leave for the track and when you get back home. Provided your suspension is set for your weight you can pretty much just cut loose on the track and have the suspension tighten up and then when you're back on the street relaxing it loosens up a bit.

Just complicating a good thing.... a dual purpose bike I see the reasoning, but a sport bike no..
Lanister likes this.
post #5 of 22 Old 11-08-2017, 10:56 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

...my thoughts from the SE thread...

Meh, looks wise its not doing much for me but im pretty interested KECS stuff. Guess it was just a matter of time. Anyone else doing this? I'd think BMW woulda been all over it already. I still like to shift up and down for myself but it might be cool to have a suspension that could adjust itself on the fly. Would be even cooler if down the road it could be developed to have different suspension maps of your liking banked somewhere and the ability to change suspension maps on the fly. Then maybe one could store all fuel and suspension maps in one place? Shit, one day motorcycles will be 185mph computers, already are i guess.

*Official winner of one Riflemans 1/5 insert

Every fortress falls, it is not the end. It aint if you fall, its how you rise that says who you really are.
- QOTSA

"if you want to be told today to fk off let me no I can help"
- Peter
post #6 of 22 Old 11-08-2017, 11:51 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Honestly electronic suspension isn't there yet, from any manufacture. I'm good friends with the North American Race Engineer for BMW and we have COUNTLESS talks about this stuff and he will even say if you go on the track, rip out the electronic suspension and put in conventional aftermarket suspension. The electronics can't keep up.

Also something to think about. On the BMW if you lose power (electrical or motor) while riding the suspension locks up and will NOT move. This can cause some major issues while trying to stop the bike. I'm curious if the Kawi will do the same.
tbolt likes this.

Stupidity and Motivation are a dangerous combination

Velocity Calibrations
post #7 of 22 Old 11-08-2017, 11:56 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by evallarta1 View Post

Also something to think about. On the BMW if you lose power (electrical or motor) while riding the suspension locks up and will NOT move. This can cause some major issues while trying to stop the bike. I'm curious if the Kawi will do the same.
That doesn't sound fun at all lol
post #8 of 22 Old 11-08-2017, 02:12 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaLife View Post
That doesn't sound fun at all lol
I believe the term you're looking for is "no bueno"
NinjaLife likes this.

Stupidity and Motivation are a dangerous combination

Velocity Calibrations
post #9 of 22 Old 11-08-2017, 04:34 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Just had a call with a friend, he had the 2011 multistrada ohlins electronic... he is a very very fast rider....
he also owns a zx10r gen4 and now a gen5.

he tells me that the old ohlins you preadjusted electronically and the bike just stayed there and It was very nice at hi speeds.

The new multistrada 2016, he tells me the bike mid corner starts to act and move around and change feelings...
post #10 of 22 Old 11-08-2017, 04:45 PM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I don't care how fast the system reacts to changes if the damping rates are incorrect to begin with, as they always are, then all you are getting is another wrong setting chosen for you by the Control Unit. Much of that leads to inconsistency in the way the bike reacts. For that reason alone I cannot recall a single club racer I have met let alone a Pro racer using any type of OEM active suspension components.
evallarta1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.