Gen 4: 2011-2015 Seems like I'm already flashed...Can ECU still be tuned? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 02-21-2017, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Question Seems like I'm already flashed...Can ECU still be tuned?

Hey all,

Just got a gen 4, and I was unsure if it had been flashed as it's got a decat and end can plus other mods.

Someone mentioned that I should try changing TC settings on the move, and lo and behold I can, so I guess I'm flashed.

Trouble is, the bike is running rich and I had already booked the bike in to have ECU flashed, and the fuelling tuned.

So I wanted to ask, does the ECU need to be reflashed depending on which software was used to flash it, in order to adjust fuelling (I don't want any piggyback modules)?

Is there any way to check which software was used?

Also, I want to fit the Translogic quickshifter off my GSXR 1000, which I have been told is possible (just need a wire swap).

Anyone know what I need to do?

I would obviously like to avoid paying for the fixed price flash if I can.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-21-2017, 03:38 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

You can change TC settings on the go on a non flashed ECU. Most flashes allow you to turn it OFF while on the move. Try that and report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mpp12 and Zed-xer like this.
post #3 of 17 Old 02-22-2017, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks.

Yep can only change TC on a closed throttle and lowest it goes down to is 1.

Does the display actually show [b]off[\b] when TC is off, or does that section of the display just show as blank?

Thanks.

post #4 of 17 Old 02-22-2017, 03:23 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

It'll show as "OFF" just above the numbers slightly off center to the right.

This doesn't mean your ECU Is not flashed. Maybe that option just wasn't done. If you look at your ECU, most reputable companies put their sticker on the ECU itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 17 Old 02-22-2017, 09:37 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Arghh View Post
Thanks.

Yep can only change TC on a closed throttle and lowest it goes down to is 1.

Does the display actually show [b]off[\b] when TC is off, or does that section of the display just show as blank?

Thanks.
usually on a flashed bike also it will retain your traction control setting and power mode you have set instead of resetting to default settings on every start of the bike. and as helitech said they usually put a sticker on the ecu itself letting you know who flashed it.

2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R

~Woolich ECU Flash/Log Box/AutoTune~Driven Block Off Plates~Woodcraft Frame sliders~Cox Radiator Guard~OEM Seat Cowl~Tinted Hotbodies Venom Windscreen~Lightech Chain Adjusters/Axle Sliders/Spools~Sato Rearsets/Race Hooks/Bar Ends/Reservoir Covers~Pazzo Shorty Levers~Engine Ice~Motodynamics Rear Turn Signals~Ohlins TTX MKII Rear Shock~R&G Case Savers~M4 Street Slayer Exhaust~Ohlins Race SCU~+1 -2 520 Driven Sprockets~520 DID Gold Chain~
post #6 of 17 Old 02-22-2017, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks guys...Ok..More investigation required

Just hard taking eyes off the road to look at dash

Only a different note (and probably not a good idea), but has anyone run the bike in gear on a stand?

Does that make the TC go crazy due to the big difference in wheel speed?
post #7 of 17 Old 02-22-2017, 12:10 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Thanks guys...Ok..More investigation required

Just hard taking eyes off the road to look at dash

Only a different note (and probably not a good idea), but has anyone run the bike in gear on a stand?

Does that make the TC go crazy due to the big difference in wheel speed?
Chances are that you aren't flashed then. I can't imagine why anybody would go to the effort of flashing without removing the traction control restrictions when they suck so badly. Removing the TC restrictions is one of the primary selling features of a flash.

You can run the bike on a stand on idle (I've never dared applying throttle). I know it's a bad idea but I've done it a million times to save time while spray waxing my chain. When I think about it, I'm pretty sure I've done it many times even while in TC setting 3 so either the wheel speed is staying below the threshold for activation (check the manual - I think it's 25kph?) or the bike knows that it's on a stand somehow.

2013 ABS, Bridgestone S20/T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, Showa BFRC Lite w/ ukzx10r's plates, GP shift, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, set up by RMR Suspensions, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modified OEM sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 40,000km+ and going strong!

Last edited by Porschenut; 02-22-2017 at 03:38 PM.
post #8 of 17 Old 02-22-2017, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Porschenut that's how I do my chain as well, just mind your fingers as have known a few guys lose them through spinning chain interface.

Ok si the mystery (minor) continues...I can change and turn off TC whilst the bike is rolling, but not when the throttle is being applied.

I guess I should dig out the ECU.

Where is it on this bike?

Cheers.
post #9 of 17 Old 02-22-2017, 05:17 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
I can change and turn off TC whilst the bike is rolling, but not when the throttle is being applied.
There's no mystery. If you can turn the TC to OFF while rolling (and I mean OFF, not setting 1, 2 or 3) then your ECU is flashed.

2013 ABS, Bridgestone S20/T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, Showa BFRC Lite w/ ukzx10r's plates, GP shift, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, set up by RMR Suspensions, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modified OEM sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 40,000km+ and going strong!
post #10 of 17 Old 02-22-2017, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschenut View Post
There's no mystery. If you can turn the TC to OFF while rolling (and I mean OFF, not setting 1, 2 or 3) then your ECU is flashed.
Great, yes it said Off on the dash after I held the TC button down long enough.

Guess my other question is, don't ECU software vendors lock an ECU to the specific computer and software it was flashed from?

I'm worried how my tuner will map the fuel table with his Woolich software.

Also is quick shifter functionality enabled through the ECU?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ecu, flash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.