Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

SE Composites Tank Shroud

Gen 5: 2016-20 
8K views 40 replies 13 participants last post by  Twistedsocal13 
#1 ·
#5 ·
I don’t own one or have ever seen these in action personally, however if all the R1’s in MotoAmerica use them with just the 3M stickies that come with it, then I’m inclined to believe it’s gonna be solid.

#14 ·
Still holding strong after a year. Got bumped to Advance group and have since found more speed.

The only thing I don't like about it: with my current seat height (and current gut size) I have a harder time getting to a full tuck because the very top-rear of the shroud is in the way. However this is mostly due to my size I think. When entering higher corner speed curves, the security of the extra real estate is great! Braking from high speed is also better since I can grab the tank/shroud with my outer leg much more easily.

#17 ·
I like the carbon frame covers but the swing arm covers idk, they never look right or cover the entire swing arm and almost seem pointless since if you dump the bike the chance that the carbon will protect the swingarm is little to none. It's kinda the same with the frame protection cover deals but at least they cover up the little imperfections in the frame cast like the tiny Pitts and such plus help prevent the coating from being worn down from daily riding etc. still to each thier own. I replaced my body work to keep it saved and stored safely away. OEM plastic can be expensive and especially on the SE

#18 ·
I agreed what you are saying it will be my first time I put frame covers and swingarm covers on a bike but my frame is scratched from crash thats the reason and swingarm is just to protect the paint from the gravel if I go down and wear from my boot+ it looks nice IMO together with the frame covers:biggrin:

#21 ·
Mine is doing great, don't think mine is from the same company but I love it. Moved the factory tank protection deal on to the carbon tank shroud so it looks all integrated. Keeps my tank from getting damaged by my jacket zippers, gloves etc. Since the jacket has zippers on both arms and I'm a fan of gloves with titanium on them it's kinda a must have unless I wanted scratched up paint everywhere which is 100% what happens from experience. They are worth every penny to keep the bike looking clean and new full time even when they are dusty or actually dirty as mine is right now.

#24 ·
Expensive in comparison to?
Hey Twisted - more just a broad statement in comparison to other similar products that are out there.
The SE composites version does help with body positioning.

It is a better made than the Chinese Ebay one I had prior! :p

Here's the old one I had on my previous zx10r (destroyed)
ignore the sticker - it was from the guys that made my hugger.

Attachments

#27 ·
Yeah it helps give you a little extra tank grip..mostly when you are going into a turn...leaned over. I like the hump since it keeps you kind of planted. I have not used it on the track yet,,,b ut it should help keep you from feeling like you are going to fly over the tank. I love it.
I noticed that a good amount of guys under 5ft 7in did not like it and sell them. Im 5ft 10in and it feels perfect.

#28 ·
I'm 5' 8.5" I have had 2 track days on mine... I can see what you mean about shorter guys getting rid of theirs.
It makes it harder to get your head up further over the bars.
*definitely not recommended for big bellies. :p

It works good to keep you back a bit further when leaned over...
corrects body position - it doesn't allow for you to cross up as easily.

*I just totaled my '16 10r three weeks before (2 laps after this 1st picture). Tires got greasy and let go. I was over leaning too - posing like a fool!
though... Great picture! :p

2nd picture - This is my new 10rr. My back was so fucked I couldn't turn my torso (area 27). The spacing between the ribs on my back was screwed up
caused knots up both sides of my spine.... 3 visits to the chiropractor fixed me up.

#29 ·
So, here is my mad sketch with the tank shroud you guys are talking about and this comes 100% from personal experience that I can promise would have ended with me dead instead of able to type this shit right now. I do carbon fiber work so I know if there is a extra protrusion on the tank that means that there is either a gap behind the carbon which means a weak spot or there is some sort of backing or filler material which would make the carbon much stronger but unable to give. When I wrecked my 18 abs krt, I took the entire tank off with my nuts. It broke my pelvis, severed my spine and ruptured my bladder. My boy still has the tank at his shop and I think I will ride out and take some pics of it today. If there was carbon that protruded like that it would have shattered and left me ripped up with carbon splinters inside of me, I would 100% be dead. The severity of my spine separation would have increased because I would have been unable to slide off and over the top of the tank. Also, I'm 6'2" tall, so I can only tuck in fully with my ass all the way back on the seat anyway or I can't get down far enough to actually tuck. I guess for slightly shorter riders it makes sense but it seems like one more area of bodily Hazzard to me. Like I said, I got mine to protect my tank from zippers and add some carbon to the bike. I'll trust myself to keep my body position correct

#30 ·
The shroud is a highly personal preference. JD Beach had to have it removed from his Attack R1 because he didn't like it and he actually went faster without it. On the zx10r, the shroud pushes you back in the seat a bit and the tuck may not be as easy since where the tank naturally curves now there is a bulge. I ran with it for a bit and felt I liked natural tank shape more. Plus, it's not legal in MotoAmerica Stock 1000 class. (Can't change shape of the tank). Not saying it won't work for you, some people might have the dimensions that might work with the shroud. Looks wise, it sure makes the bike look like a true superbike, I really like that part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.