RPM! Comparing Machines. - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 08-10-2004, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

RPM! Comparing Machines.

Monti wrote us a short essay on the suspension problems thread...

Let's get back on the revs topic.

I've had a ride on every 04 1K. IMO I don't like the R1. One reason is that you have to carry more revs for the bike to perform! More revs at the same speed as the 10R.
Now monti's point is noted that because the R1 is at higher rpm's it will deliver more power at the same speed. True. But, you are still at higher rpm. Which means that there will be more gear chaning required to keep the revs up! Right?
I am and will always be a fan of twins! I enjoy low end grunt when I'm on the road. I also enjoy revs when racing!

Another question! Why would the clever journo's rate the R1 as more rideable if you need to carry more rpm's? Higher rpm's also mean that you have to be more precise in your riding.

I know this post isn't going in any specific direction at the moment, I simply want your input on the rpm issue!
I personally don't like a bike that revs to 15K. And the 10R does have more low down power than the R1. Compared to the one I tested anyway!

Do you feel the same or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I know nothing about bikes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 08-10-2004, 09:29 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

What I find amazing is someone who supposely has 'The Bike' would go over to another forum to tell everyone that they're on the wrong bike, why would you bother when you've got 'The Bike'. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Jealously or Inadequacy.

As far as the revs from what I've seen the R1, 10R, Gixxer, Blade are so close together in performance and yet they produce there power at different revs, I hav'nt seen any thrust curves yet but I think the Gixxer has the best for street riding and probably the blade next, R1 and 10R would be nothing in it. Track work seems to suit the 10 due to in part the close ratio gearbox, but once again its going to vary. I do remember watching a video with the 01 bigbore sportsbikes and the gixxer 750, the 750 needed to be in the right gear pretty much all the time otherwise it could'nt keep up with the big bikes.

Anyway did'nt mean to rant on, but some people amaze me, who cares what you've got just ride the damn thing.
post #3 of 27 Old 08-10-2004, 10:52 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

When the r1 blows up what good will any rev do ya'. The rr has good power off the bottom. Never rode one but they say the g1k has a nice powerspread/per revs.

BIKES IS GOOD.

post #4 of 27 Old 08-11-2004, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

It makes sense that the bikes that has a lower peak rpm would have more low down! e.g. RR, GXSR and even 10R!

What SP500 said about the 750 is exactly my point with high revving engines. That would mean that your gear selection has to be spot on. Obviously there's enough power to go around for any street rider. It's just something that's tickled me. Why build a bike that revs 3-4K more than the other bikes in it's class! And still have the similar performance! If it outperformed the other bikes, the additional revs would make sense, but it doesn't.

I'm not ranting about how awesome the 10R is. It's simply an interesting topic for me. Huge difference in characteristics, but still similar performance.

post #5 of 27 Old 08-11-2004, 01:39 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to BeepeR
Personally I would take torque and power at lower RPM's over the same at high RPM's. THis was actualyl a factor in me choosing to get a 10r instead of a 636. I know the 636 is also more than enough power for the street, but the one experience I had on a 600cc sportbike was something I did not liek because of having to rev it so high to get the power out of it. Personally having to rev something scares me more (gives me an uncomfortable feeling) than lower end torque.

Save a horse, RIDE a Cowboy!
post #6 of 27 Old 08-11-2004, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by KwObAbY
Personally I would take torque and power at lower RPM's over the same at high RPM's. THis was actualyl a factor in me choosing to get a 10r instead of a 636. I know the 636 is also more than enough power for the street, but the one experience I had on a 600cc sportbike was something I did not liek because of having to rev it so high to get the power out of it. Personally having to rev something scares me more (gives me an uncomfortable feeling) than lower end torque.
I'm with you on this one! That's probably what I loved most about my TLR!

post #7 of 27 Old 08-11-2004, 02:56 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Re: RPM! Comparing Machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vane
Monti wrote us a short essay on the suspension problems thread...

Let's get back on the revs topic.

I've had a ride on every 04 1K. IMO I don't like the R1. One reason is that you have to carry more revs for the bike to perform! More revs at the same speed as the 10R.
Now monti's point is noted that because the R1 is at higher rpm's it will deliver more power at the same speed. True. But, you are still at higher rpm. Which means that there will be more gear chaning required to keep the revs up! Right?
I am and will always be a fan of twins! I enjoy low end grunt when I'm on the road. I also enjoy revs when racing!

Another question! Why would the clever journo's rate the R1 as more rideable if you need to carry more rpm's? Higher rpm's also mean that you have to be more precise in your riding.

I know this post isn't going in any specific direction at the moment, I simply want your input on the rpm issue!
I personally don't like a bike that revs to 15K. And the 10R does have more low down power than the R1. Compared to the one I tested anyway!

Do you feel the same or am I barking up the wrong tree?
If the zx has the closer ratio gearbox, as you said, then who is going to change gears more? Think about it.
post #8 of 27 Old 08-11-2004, 02:59 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp500
What I find amazing is someone who supposely has 'The Bike' would go over to another forum to tell everyone that they're on the wrong bike, why would you bother when you've got 'The Bike'. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Jealously or Inadequacy.
For the last time. Please, pay attention sp500!

I DON'T OWN AN R1!
post #9 of 27 Old 08-11-2004, 03:01 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

that was along time ago monti, you should read the time it was posted compared to the rest of my posts.
post #10 of 27 Old 08-11-2004, 03:03 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Sorry SP500.

Although this was the 3rd time I was posting it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.