RPM! Comparing Machines. - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 Old 08-11-2004, 06:08 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

The Yamaha has the shortest stroke in the 1000 class. Do the maths and it has to do a higher engine speed to do the same amount of work. It always has to be running at higher speed compared to the Gixxer, ZX10 and the CBR. Higher engine speeds means higher wear.

Give me a ZX10R you can drop the clutch at any rpm and hit the throttle and it goes. On the ZX10R you can open the throttle at any speed any gear and go. That is one thing I am sure the R1 can not do. Rev it like a 600 yeah it can go fast but is it better I don't think so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 Old 08-11-2004, 08:40 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja
The Yamaha has the shortest stroke in the 1000 class. Do the maths and it has to do a higher engine speed to do the same amount of work. It always has to be running at higher speed compared to the Gixxer, ZX10 and the CBR. Higher engine speeds means higher wear.

Give me a ZX10R you can drop the clutch at any rpm and hit the throttle and it goes. On the ZX10R you can open the throttle at any speed any gear and go. That is one thing I am sure the R1 can not do. Rev it like a 600 yeah it can go fast but is it better I don't think so.
Yes it can. I tried it, and it pulls as hard as the zx. Down low and up the top. With turbine like smoothness and superior stability.

I don't think it will make much difference to wear if you look after it, make sure that it is nice and warm, and has good oil in it and change it often. How long are you going to keep your bike anyway? 10 years? Not many people bought the zx to keep it for the long haul. This is not a Gold Wing we are talking about. People buying this type of bike do so because they want the latest and greatest. They are not going to own them for very long. They are going to change them for a new one, that will be by that stage revving higher, will have more horse power, and therefore will be faster. Even yours revs higher than any big bore Kawasaki ever did before it.
post #13 of 27 Old 08-11-2004, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Re: RPM! Comparing Machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monti
Quote:
Originally Posted by vane
Monti wrote us a short essay on the suspension problems thread...

Let's get back on the revs topic.

I've had a ride on every 04 1K. IMO I don't like the R1. One reason is that you have to carry more revs for the bike to perform! More revs at the same speed as the 10R.
Now monti's point is noted that because the R1 is at higher rpm's it will deliver more power at the same speed. True. But, you are still at higher rpm. Which means that there will be more gear chaning required to keep the revs up! Right?
I am and will always be a fan of twins! I enjoy low end grunt when I'm on the road. I also enjoy revs when racing!

Another question! Why would the clever journo's rate the R1 as more rideable if you need to carry more rpm's? Higher rpm's also mean that you have to be more precise in your riding.

I know this post isn't going in any specific direction at the moment, I simply want your input on the rpm issue!
I personally don't like a bike that revs to 15K. And the 10R does have more low down power than the R1. Compared to the one I tested anyway!

Do you feel the same or am I barking up the wrong tree?
If the zx has the closer ratio gearbox, as you said, then who is going to change gears more? Think about it.
The R1 also has a close cut gearbox!

I know nothing about bikes!

post #14 of 27 Old 08-11-2004, 11:32 AM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

indeed it does [smilie=1: the 04 R1 pals in comparison through the low & mid power range to the 10r & G1k.....in fact the earlier R1's 02,3 perform better through this area than the 04.

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
post #15 of 27 Old 08-11-2004, 12:03 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Change gearing and be done with it. We all do it anyway.
post #16 of 27 Old 08-11-2004, 01:04 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to BeepeR
Quote:
Originally Posted by monti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja

Yes it can. I tried it, and it pulls as hard as the zx. Down low and up the top. With turbine like smoothness and superior stability.

I don't think it will make much difference to wear if you look after it, make sure that it is nice and warm, and has good oil in it and change it often. How long are you going to keep your bike anyway? 10 years? Not many people bought the zx to keep it for the long haul. This is not a Gold Wing we are talking about. People buying this type of bike do so because they want the latest and greatest. They are not going to own them for very long. They are going to change them for a new one, that will be by that stage revving higher, will have more horse power, and therefore will be faster. Even yours revs higher than any big bore Kawasaki ever did before it.
Put the R1 and 10r in 4th gear (just picking this gear because it will require some power down low to get the bike moving at a lower RPM) at about 40-50 mph and nail the throttle on both. The 10 will leave teh R1 no problem because the R1 does not have the down low power or torque that the Kawi produces. Buddies and I have done this, same outcome everytime [smilie=1:

Save a horse, RIDE a Cowboy!
post #17 of 27 Old 08-12-2004, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsr
I'm concerned about losing top-end. Theoretically, swapping front for 16T will reduce top end from something like 306 to some 286.

I know nothing about bikes!
post #18 of 27 Old 08-12-2004, 08:50 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

286, is that all :D
post #19 of 27 Old 08-12-2004, 09:46 AM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Both bikes have engines that rev quicker or slower. The R1 has a short stroke which makes the engine rev QUICKER, The ZX has a slower revving engine. Now listen I'm not talking about actualy RPM's but the speed at which the engine operates and spools up. This is another advanteg the ZX has on its side due to its lower revving engine, and being able to start making power lower than the R1. Also this aids in the close ratio gearbox, it requires less effort to keep the bike in the power. The R1 would require 2 downshift to get the bike back up into its operting speed as to the ZX, because the R1 needs to rev higher in passing and etc. I hope this made some sense.
[smilie=B:
post #20 of 27 Old 08-12-2004, 09:51 AM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by vane
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsr
I'm concerned about losing top-end. Theoretically, swapping front for 16T will reduce top end from something like 306 to some 286.
Theoretically speaking if your into the top end stuff then don't bother with a 16t.
FYI after installing my 16t i managed a highly optimistic / indicated 186mph and still gaining slowly.

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.