Gen 5: 2016 -> Rough ignition module (pushing the key in is hard) - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By michael4012
  • 2 Post By belkins
  • 1 Post By SpazOnaZX
  • 1 Post By Porschenut

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-03-2017, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Rough ignition module (pushing the key in is hard)

Hi,

I was wondering if everyone had the same thing as I do, but whenever I insert the key in the ignition module, I almost need to hammer it down with my first for it to get through the last pin inside, it's really stiff.

Not to mention the small door preventing stuff from going in doesn't shut even anymore.
I slightly bent my key this morning trying to put it in (it was a cold morning though, 25F-4C).

I hope I'm not alone and it's a regular behavior, otherwise my warranty ran out 4 days ago...
It was smoother when I got it, that's for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-03-2017, 01:32 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

i would give it a spray of WD40 inside you should find it loosens up after 2 or 3 inserts with the key.
lun471k likes this.

192MPH stock engined 2008
post #3 of 8 Old 05-03-2017, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
I put a small amount of an anti-freeze bottle for door locks this morning and it helped a bit, but the issue was back at noon (alcohol probably evaporated). I'll try WD40 and see if it helps.

post #4 of 8 Old 05-03-2017, 02:21 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lun471k View Post
I put a small amount of an anti-freeze bottle for door locks this morning and it helped a bit, but the issue was back at noon (alcohol probably evaporated). I'll try WD40 and see if it helps.
when i have trouble with locks i use some powdered graphite lubricant which is made for locks.. works like a champ and will make them work like new again.
lun471k and Kllongbrake like this.

2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R

~Woolich ECU Flash/Log Box/AutoTune~Driven Block Off Plates~Woodcraft Frame sliders~Cox Radiator Guard~OEM Seat Cowl~Tinted Hotbodies Venom Windscreen~Lightech Chain Adjusters/Axle Sliders/Spools~Sato Rearsets/Race Hooks/Bar Ends/Reservoir Covers~Pazzo Shorty Levers~Engine Ice~Motodynamics Rear Turn Signals~Ohlins TTX MKII Rear Shock~R&G Case Savers~M4 Street Slayer Exhaust~Ohlins Race SCU~+1 -2 520 Driven Sprockets~520 DID Gold Chain~
post #5 of 8 Old 05-03-2017, 02:35 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

...WD-40 will work as a temp fix, but it will displace other lubricants and then dry up. Graphite is great.... until it gets wet. Houdini is what we use on our secure, outdoor locks if they start to get nasty..... best stuff I've ever used. A can of that will last you years and years, and it will pay for itself 100X..... works great on any tumbler-style lock.

But if you've been bashing on your key for a bit, you may have already caused some damage.... just be prepared to repair/replace the cylinder if it's gone that far. Also, once corrosion has set in bad enough to start eating metal you'll be in for the repair in short time, no matter what fancy lube you use. ;)
lun471k likes this.

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.

Last edited by SpazOnaZX; 05-03-2017 at 02:38 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-03-2017, 03:30 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I ride my bike in really nasty weather so my lock needs a little TLC once a year.

I put a couple drops of motor oil in the lock and insert the key a dozen or so times and rotate it to get the lube worked into the tumblers. After it's working like butter again I repeat the process but wipe the key off after every insertion to draw any excess oil back out. I started doing it this way after I found that WD40 quickly stopped working and determined that I needed a more lasting lubricant.
lun471k likes this.

2013 ABS, Bridgestone S20/T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, Showa BFRC Lite w/ ukzx10r's plates & 5th Gen dogbone, GP shift, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, set up by RMR Suspensions, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), Bestem carbon, PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modified OEM sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 40,000km+ and going strong!
post #7 of 8 Old 05-16-2017, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Just to close the thread, I went with graphite powder, just because I was shopping for oil and saw the can on the shelf:
Jig-A-Loo Graphite Extreme Lubricant | Canadian Tire

After shooting it in, wiping the excess (this thing stains !) a few times on the key and turning the key a dozen time (still wiping it off everytime), it's as smooth as before.

Last edited by lun471k; 05-16-2017 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Fixed typo. meant Powder, not Power.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-16-2017, 10:09 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Good I reckon IL be getting some if that myself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.