Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Rough ignition module (pushing the key in is hard)

Gen 5: 2016-20 
1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  michael4012 
#1 ·
Hi,

I was wondering if everyone had the same thing as I do, but whenever I insert the key in the ignition module, I almost need to hammer it down with my first for it to get through the last pin inside, it's really stiff.

Not to mention the small door preventing stuff from going in doesn't shut even anymore.
I slightly bent my key this morning trying to put it in (it was a cold morning though, 25F-4C).

I hope I'm not alone and it's a regular behavior, otherwise my warranty ran out 4 days ago...
It was smoother when I got it, that's for sure.

#4 ·
when i have trouble with locks i use some powdered graphite lubricant which is made for locks.. works like a champ and will make them work like new again.

#5 · (Edited)

...WD-40 will work as a temp fix, but it will displace other lubricants and then dry up. Graphite is great.... until it gets wet. Houdini is what we use on our secure, outdoor locks if they start to get nasty..... best stuff I've ever used. A can of that will last you years and years, and it will pay for itself 100X..... works great on any tumbler-style lock.

But if you've been bashing on your key for a bit, you may have already caused some damage.... just be prepared to repair/replace the cylinder if it's gone that far. Also, once corrosion has set in bad enough to start eating metal you'll be in for the repair in short time, no matter what fancy lube you use. ;)

#6 ·
I ride my bike in really nasty weather so my lock needs a little TLC once a year.

I put a couple drops of motor oil in the lock and insert the key a dozen or so times and rotate it to get the lube worked into the tumblers. After it's working like butter again I repeat the process but wipe the key off after every insertion to draw any excess oil back out. I started doing it this way after I found that WD40 quickly stopped working and determined that I needed a more lasting lubricant.

Reactions: lun471k
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.