Gen 4: 2011-2015 Replacing gen 4 rear shock with gen 5 showa bfrc - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 66 Old 03-09-2016, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Question Replacing gen 4 rear shock with gen 5 showa bfrc

dear members,

I would like to ask whether is it possible to install gen 5 showa bfrc rear shock to the gen 4?
It seems like a direct fit, except from the pictures the rear linkage seems a bit different.
I am not sure about the dimension for gen 4 and gen 5 if they are different or same.
Hopefully someone can help me here..

Thank you a lot for reading and giving advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 03-09-2016, 09:04 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Hi.

I'd bet money on it fitting. But the linkages are different which will throw off the action of the shock. The swingarm on the G5 is also longer. So bolting on a G5 shock may not provide much if any benefit without matching the ratios with the linkages and longer arm.
White Fang likes this.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 66 Old 03-09-2016, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Hi SkyDork,
Thank you very much for you reply.
The reason why i plan to fit G5 rear shock is because my current G4 rear shock is now in need for replacement.
i don't have the budget to buy Ohlins, so i'm looking for better alternatives.
Besides, i only go for track day 2-3 times a year, and only to practice my cornering skills.
Do you think it's worth to choose G5 rear shock?

Thanks again..

post #4 of 66 Old 03-09-2016, 11:19 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by reemba19 View Post
Hi SkyDork,
Thank you very much for you reply.
The reason why i plan to fit G5 rear shock is because my current G4 rear shock is now in need for replacement.
i don't have the budget to buy Ohlins, so i'm looking for better alternatives.
Besides, i only go for track day 2-3 times a year, and only to practice my cornering skills.
Do you think it's worth to choose G5 rear shock?

Thanks again..
It would be the cheapest to have your existing shock serviced. You can opt for a new spring as well. That would be cheaper than finding a used G5 shock and way cheaper than aftermarket. If budget is your concern, I'd stick to a rebuilt G4 shock with upgrades over trying to find and fit a G5 shock.
White Fang likes this.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #5 of 66 Old 03-09-2016, 03:53 PM
Always On Mod

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
It would be the cheapest to have your existing shock serviced. You can opt for a new spring as well. That would be cheaper than finding a used G5 shock and way cheaper than aftermarket. If budget is your concern, I'd stick to a rebuilt G4 shock with upgrades over trying to find and fit a G5 shock.
The revalved rebuilt G4 shock with the correct shims for ride height is a lot better than stock and will definitely give you some improvements in the way the rear behaves on corner exit.

fitting the g5 shock to a g4 will fit, but it gives an unknown quantity in terms of performance
SkyDork and Turbodc2 like this.

Fast parts, Great Service: PM Mike at Rider's Discount
post #6 of 66 Old 03-10-2016, 03:27 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Try it and report back

it will fit up, the bike is 15mm longer than the gen 4, I'll admit im guessing but if you look at the images between the gen 4 and gen 5 swingarm the majority if not all the extra length is at the chain adjuster. Obviously the new link on the Gen 5 is more like the race links from Gen 4 so more linear.

If anything using the gen 5 shock on gen 4 you shouldn't need to shim the bike as much IF it is in fact a longer shock.
post #7 of 66 Old 03-11-2016, 02:28 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

I would try it, the gen4 shock is one of the worst Ive ever had on a bike. I bought two brand new gen4 shocks off ebay and tried everything to make them work. Problem is the cost of getting them fixed to a point that they work you would be better off spending on a used ohlins. The gen5 shock might work right away or only need a new spring, its worth a try. fyi I ended up with an ohlins and aftermarket linkage in the end, now the bike is on rails. Good Luck
post #8 of 66 Old 04-02-2016, 01:19 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackdaypro View Post
I would try it, the gen4 shock is one of the worst Ive ever had on a bike. I bought two brand new gen4 shocks off ebay and tried everything to make them work. Problem is the cost of getting them fixed to a point that they work you would be better off spending on a used ohlins. The gen5 shock might work right away or only need a new spring, its worth a try. fyi I ended up with an ohlins and aftermarket linkage in the end, now the bike is on rails. Good Luck
that's good
post #9 of 66 Old 04-02-2016, 09:38 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

If you are using a gen5 shock, you will have to change the links.
The gen5 has a longer 2 links more chain. So its longer but if you change the chain you will have same effect.
To me that is a lot of work and money.

I have a rebuilt Gen4 shock (stock spring), can send it to you, with dyno of the shock and everything. Only used it for 4 months. I was night and day from stock. 200usd TYD
post #10 of 66 Old 05-26-2016, 01:20 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Gen 4 shock is absolute rubbish.
Im gonna fit gen5.
Any info to help would be great thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.