Gen 3: 2008-2010 Removing small amount of fork oil - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 05-13-2017, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Removing small amount of fork oil

Is it possible to remove a small amount of fork oil with the forks in place? My rebound is too slow even with it all dialed out. I believe if I take a little oil out that it will help a little which is really all I need

I don't want to go through the hassle of stripping the forks down and doing an oil change which is probably what I should do.

Is there a handy way of doing it by popping the caps and any idea how much I should take out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-13-2017, 08:08 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

if your rebound is too slow, the amount of change you are trying to get, is not enough to get, by removing oil. the forks need servicing, and more rebound shims added in the shim stack. read: re-valve. you want your adjusters to have room to move, on either side, so you can make adjustments. having them maxed out, then trying a Band-Aid, is not a solution to the problem.

it doesn't take that much to remove the forks for service. just bite the bullet and do it right so, you don't cause more or different issues, later. Ski
SkyDork and kapp241 like this.

May we all, get to have a chance to ride the fast one, walk away wiser when we crash one, keep hopin that the best one is the last one.
post #3 of 25 Old 05-13-2017, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Thanks Ski,

I know you're right... but I don't have the time nor finances to stick into this bike at the moment ( if my misses sees me heading for the garage one more time it'll be divorce )so I want to try a quick fix first and then if that doesn't work I'll bite the bullet. The improvement I'm looking for is minor!

post #4 of 25 Old 05-13-2017, 08:40 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

I dont see how you will accomplish a rebound change with oil level. Heres a good article talking about oil height, and what it does.

Keep in mind, hes talking dirt bike forks with 12 inches of travel..but the idea is the same.

Motocross Action Magazine HOW TO FIX YOUR FORKS WITH FORK OIL HEIGHT TRICKS | Motocross Action Magazine
post #5 of 25 Old 05-13-2017, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon View Post
I dont see how you will accomplish a rebound change with oil level. Heres a good article talking about oil height, and what it does.

Keep in mind, hes talking dirt bike forks with 12 inches of travel..but the idea is the same.

Motocross Action Magazine HOW TO FIX YOUR FORKS WITH FORK OIL HEIGHT TRICKS | Motocross Action Magazine
You could very well be right. According to the article it will just let the oil move more.

Would an oil change to a lighter oil do the job? I'm only after a small improvement!
post #6 of 25 Old 05-13-2017, 09:13 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

the way to do it on the bike is, to open the cap on top and using a measuring tool and a tool that looks like a syringe to add/deduct oil.

but these guys are right .by taking oil away not going to make any difference and could make the forks not functioning correctly . adding oil makes the difference from stock level. making the compression and rebound slower . but if you go lower then standard level for that fork (usually 122mm) then can make the fork create air bobble and not functioning correct.

By changing the oil weight can make what you need to achieve, but keep in mind the stock oil usually is low on its weight and you may not find lower weight , usually what i have seen people go to a higher weight and lower air gap to make the forks stiffer/ slower on rebound and compression.

only way to do it correctly is to re valve the forks.
post #7 of 25 Old 05-13-2017, 01:02 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearaway View Post
if my misses sees me heading for the garage one more time it'll be divorce
This sounds like a bigger issue then slow rebound.
skidooboy and mpp12 like this.
post #8 of 25 Old 05-13-2017, 02:47 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

thicker oil would help, less oil will hurt. you need to get the mrs interested in riding herself, then you dont have "those issues"... but, then everything you do with bikes, toys costs double. don't ask me how I know. :D Ski

May we all, get to have a chance to ride the fast one, walk away wiser when we crash one, keep hopin that the best one is the last one.
post #9 of 25 Old 05-13-2017, 03:21 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

If you have rebound that is "too slow", a lighter oil is what you are looking for.

A thicker oil will have a more difficult time traveling through the valving, and slow rebound.

Im not sure what specific fork oil we are supposed to have. If its showa ss7, and it may be, that looks like its a 5w.

This chart works really well as it lists so many of the fluids we have access to. You can see, also , that someones 5w may be different than others 5w. They break the fluids down and measure in cSt centiStokes. Suspension Fluid - Pvdwiki

Just a fancy name for soemthing more accurate than 5w, 10w, etc. The lower the number, the thinner the fluid is.

From the list, the redline (like water, clear) fluid is probably the easiest to get. My local shop sells it.

Lets say you dumped out the stock oil, then switched to this redline, it should lighten the rebound. I say SHOULD because as chiffeee said, the stock oil is like water, anyway.

The bad part about messing with oil weight is it also messes with compression damping. It will make that lighter, as well.

As a compromise, I think I might try this.

Wanting to decrease rebound makes me think the fork is harsh. Hits a bump and does not ready itsle , fast enough, for the next bump.The stock Kawasaki forks get pretty harsh, halfway through their travel.

How about increasing preload, a few turns. Bring the fork back up to a position where its not running into the middle of its travel so easily.

At that point, the bike may be too tall. Bring the fork up through the top triple clamp 5mm so the front end stays about where it was.

The cartridge forks are a pita to deal with, in regards to oil. Unless you get 100% of the oil oil out, you'll end up with some odd mixture of stock and aftermarket fluid. Even if it were amazing, you would never be able to duplicate it again if you blew a seal, or needed fork service.
post #10 of 25 Old 05-13-2017, 09:06 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

my bad, I read the original post wrong, I thought he did not have enough rebound dampening, and was looking to slow the rebound down more. (the gen4 rear shock is like that, not enough rebound dampening in the shock adjustment).

thinner oil would help but, still be a band aid. Ski
rcannon likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.