Gen 3: 2008-2010 Removing small amount of fork oil - Page 3 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 25 Old 05-18-2017, 03:55 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearaway View Post
It's a gen 3 bike. I've dialed all the rebound and compression out. The bike needs a bit of force to turn.

I replaced the rear spring. It was slightly shorter than the standard one but I have good sag of 31mm. Front sag is 36mm.

The other option I'm looking at is dropping the fork tubes in case the slightly shorter spring has altered the ride height.
The shorter spring wont affect the overall length of the shock. The force of the spring will stretch the shock to it's full extension as long as you have preload on the shock (which is sounds like you do).

The turn in is generally not caused by improper damping settings, but by geometry issues. Geometry can be broken into two categories, static (ride height) and dynamic (spring rate and preload which determines where the suspension sits in the stroke). SO by your description the bike wont turn in on entry would suggest your bike is sitting a bit too high. Two options you could try would be take out some preload in the front (generally 2 turns will give you noticeable results either positive or negative) OR lower the front a few mm and see. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages and without knowing more info would be a good starting point for you.
Tearaway likes this.

Stupidity and Motivation are a dangerous combination

Velocity Calibrations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 Old 05-18-2017, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

I don't believe it's tyre pressure related. I keep a very close eye on them but it's a possibility. I'm not suffering from hot or cold tears.

I've also dialed out all preload so that's not an option I'm afraid.
post #23 of 25 Old 05-19-2017, 01:59 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I think I gave you some advice before on this, but I found raising the fork stanchions 5mm in the triple tree worked well for me.
Tearaway likes this.

post #24 of 25 Old 05-22-2017, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by renais View Post
I think I gave you some advice before on this, but I found raising the fork stanchions 5mm in the triple tree worked well for me.

You did! The bike was laid up for over a year. I pulled it out last month and started to play with it again. On Friday I went back and reread those pms and saw your mention of 5mm. Saturday morning I raised them 5mm and it seems to have helped a lot. Had it on track on Sunday and it's made a huge improvement on the ability of the bike to turn.

Still not happy with the front end but I suspect ultimately it's a revalve.
post #25 of 25 Old 08-22-2017, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

An update in case some one end up in a similar situation... removing a small amount of fluid is very easy. - remove the fork cam and slip a small tube into the fork and suck a little out.

Tiny amounts make a huge difference
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.