Gen 4: 2011-2015 Reliability? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 Old 12-30-2016, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Unhappy Reliability?

How have y'all's 4th gens treated you in the long run?

Sort of venting here, this is my first Kawasaki and I'm finding it hard to not lemon law the damn thing.

Bought New 204 hold over. Had OEM paint issues within the first month, Kawasaki did awesome and replaced everything. Back in October my speedometer started going nuts. One minute I'm doing 60 mph then all of a sudden I'm doing 174 mph, then 0 mph, and everything in-between. ABS light on, ESD light on, F1 light on, traction control bar all lit up....

Dropped it off at the dealer Oct. 18th. They did awesome and told me they were going to replace the ECU on the 23rd... Hadn't heard a word since until I called on the 22nd of December where they magically "Just finished it up"... Picked it up and within 5 minutes the speedometer is going nuts again, so I dropped it back off immediatly. Dealer replaced ECU and both wheel speed sensors.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? I don't have faith in the dealer finding a fix and it is lemon law eligible, been under repair for more than 30 days consecutively. Love the bike but I'd eat about 3 grand to replace it and all the trouble its giving me doesn't give me much faith in the long term...

Sorry for the rambling and being all over the place, just frustrated my bike has been down 3 out of the 8 months I've owned it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 12-30-2016, 03:56 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

How's the battery?

I raced mine for 3 years and only had issues with the reg/rec but it was my fault. It treated me well.
post #3 of 54 Old 12-30-2016, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by dricked View Post
How's the battery?

I raced mine for 3 years and only had issues with the reg/rec but it was my fault. It treated me well.
New battery installed in May. No issues starting. Haven't been able to put a meter on it as it's out of my hands right now, giving the dealer another chance to fix it. Still under warranty which is why I'm not messing with it.

This 50*F December weather and parts money in the bank is just getting to me

post #4 of 54 Old 12-30-2016, 04:44 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I ask about the battery because they've been known to cause weird issues and your issues are weird lol.
post #5 of 54 Old 12-31-2016, 04:37 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Sounds like a pretty shit dealer, id say the issue is pretty clear.

They need to replace the speed sensor AND the speed sensor discs on the front and rear wheel, that is why you are getting very strange readings on the dash because the discs on the wheels if they are damaged in any way will cause the speedo to display weird readings as the gap that the speed sensor magnet is picking up is off.
post #6 of 54 Old 12-31-2016, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBZ10R View Post
Sounds like a pretty shit dealer, id say the issue is pretty clear.

They need to replace the speed sensor AND the speed sensor discs on the front and rear wheel, that is why you are getting very strange readings on the dash because the discs on the wheels if they are damaged in any way will cause the speedo to display weird readings as the gap that the speed sensor magnet is picking up is off.
Thank you, this is the exact stuff I was looking for that makes you guys awesome.

I was able to find the gap in the service manual, the only negative is there is a note saying the gap cannot be adjusted. Looks like I'm going to try and have them replace the hub bearings along with it.

12-48 Brakes; KIBS (Equiped Models)
Wheel Rotation Sensor Air Gap
Standard:
Front 0.4 ∼ 1.6 mm (0.02 ∼ 0.06 in.)
Rear 0.4 ∼ 1.6 mm (0.02 ∼ 0.06 in.)

NOTE
○The sensor air gap cannot be adjusted.
post #7 of 54 Old 12-31-2016, 11:07 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
yea these bikes are bullet proof... once you figure that bug out you shouldnt have any problems
post #8 of 54 Old 12-31-2016, 02:10 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

I have the '11 and the '13. 50,000 on former with blown up crank bearing, both seals leaked around 30k or earlier, paint wore off the tank from the monkey suit; radiator is too weak as it was holed around 30k.

I reported all of the above to Kawa on their survey except the blown bearing and the weak radiator has those probs did not come up at that time.

The '13 has 61,000. Paint much improved but wearing yet NOT down to the metal like the '11. Fork seals working. Bike is on the same loop as '11 showing Kawa listens to clients. Bike running strong and on this one bought the extended. Radiator was replaced at 40k and cam replaced same time the latter under warranty.

'13 has hit two deer one vulture and one nice sized rock about 10-15; rock was shaped like a ramp in shadow. No damage from rock with some cracked plastic and the bottom bolt plastic broke. Zip tied that.

With the exception of the blown bearing, the 10r is solid. Dealer diagnosed the '11 as bearing problem and reported oil looked in good condition.

oem batteries are weak; Shorai works. np with any of your issues. I'm not planning on a future 10r but have not studied CBR or gixxers yet.

g4's are good; I would say excellent if it wasn't for the blown '11 with its stupid weak seals and paper mache radiator.

Last edited by scout; 12-31-2016 at 02:13 PM.
post #9 of 54 Old 01-01-2017, 03:26 PM
EJR
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
I have the '11 and the '13. 50,000 on former with blown up crank bearing, both seals leaked around 30k or earlier, paint wore off the tank from the monkey suit; radiator is too weak as it was holed around 30k.

I reported all of the above to Kawa on their survey except the blown bearing and the weak radiator has those probs did not come up at that time.

The '13 has 61,000. Paint much improved but wearing yet NOT down to the metal like the '11. Fork seals working. Bike is on the same loop as '11 showing Kawa listens to clients. Bike running strong and on this one bought the extended. Radiator was replaced at 40k and cam replaced same time the latter under warranty.

'13 has hit two deer one vulture and one nice sized rock about 10-15; rock was shaped like a ramp in shadow. No damage from rock with some cracked plastic and the bottom bolt plastic broke. Zip tied that.

With the exception of the blown bearing, the 10r is solid. Dealer diagnosed the '11 as bearing problem and reported oil looked in good condition.

oem batteries are weak; Shorai works. np with any of your issues. I'm not planning on a future 10r but have not studied CBR or gixxers yet.

g4's are good; I would say excellent if it wasn't for the blown '11 with its stupid weak seals and paper mache radiator.

Wtf, you blew the 11 by not putting oil in it for 50k miles. That had nothing to do with the motor.
post #10 of 54 Old 01-01-2017, 06:50 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJR View Post
Wtf, you blew the 11 by not putting oil in it for 50k miles. That had nothing to do with the motor.
hardly. Did same oil change with '13. You love the oil god!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.