Gen 4: 2011-2015 Rebuild update: oil spray - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Doppler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 12-31-2017, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Rebuild update: oil spray

Appears to be same as the 2011 10r recall of oil being forced out during operation, (which I also own).

After 12 days and 1200 miles of operation after dealer engine rebuild I noticed a couple drops of oil on garage floor yesterday. I looked and noticed film of oil on oil pan but did NOT look at the can. I noticed this morning that nothing leaked after the bike cooled.

Did the 200 mile loop this morning and noticed a couple drops of oil on the garage floor again after one hour of cooling. THIS time I noticed that 1/3 of the front of the graves can was lightly coated with oil

Meaning, the rear tire is getting oil spray.

Appears to be similar to the above mentioned recall. Have to inform dealer Tuesday.

Also, noticed the cam is making same dorky noise it did around 41k miles; cam was replaced under warranty at that time; thinking time to have that replaced again as dealer mentioned cams are rated about 35k miles.

Bike ran perfectly on the loop. Brain caught up with the bike yesterday with the bike floating on the loop today. Dang. Never know what to expect; but I learned after six-seven months of zero riding takes a few days for the brain to catch up with what it knows from the past. Like relearning algebra, trig and calculus.

Last edited by scout; 01-02-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-01-2018, 05:00 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
That's disappointing that after they had the bike so long they have made mistakes in the rebuild that need correcting. Glad you noticed it before it got worse, imagine if it got worse during your loop and did contaminate the rear tyre.

6 months off the bike you'd be rusty for sure! I can't imagine not riding for that long. I know for many of you in the US and Canada the winters prohibit riding for many months so am grateful in Aus we can ride all year round. ( I know that's not what happened in your case Scout, just saying)
scout likes this.

-Woolich/Race Tools/Log Box V3|-Graves Titanium/Carbon cat eliminator|-Ohlins Mechatronic|+2 rear|Stone chips & bugs
post #3 of 4 Old 01-02-2018, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler View Post
That's disappointing that after they had the bike so long they have made mistakes in the rebuild that need correcting. Glad you noticed it before it got worse, imagine if it got worse during your loop and did contaminate the rear tyre.

6 months off the bike you'd be rusty for sure! I can't imagine not riding for that long. I know for many of you in the US and Canada the winters prohibit riding for many months so am grateful in Aus we can ride all year round. ( I know that's not what happened in your case Scout, just saying)
I have one area on my loop, Mt. Ham, only 5000 feet, but sometimes gets cold enough to cause serious icy conditions. Lick Observatory, run by University of California Marxist-Fascist Psychos, that my county road slices through. They do stuff to locals that cause problems, but another thread. The observatory has a weather station so I know by the temp if too icy and possible black ice or even snow as cameras are provided by old timers in the past that were tolerant of everyone.

post #4 of 4 Old 01-02-2018, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Update: informed dealer about the problem and received green light to bring the bike in; my impression is that he knew exactly what the problem was.

Rain and rain-unsettled weather for the next several days and the one day of clear weather is tied up. If can't deliver bike tomorrow; may have to wait a week.

I'll report diagnosis when I know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.