Gen 4: 2011-2015 Rear Brake Rubs Against Rotor Disc Half The Time After New Tire Install - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 04-08-2018, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
DGF
Squid

Posting Frequency

Unhappy Rear Brake Rubs Against Rotor Disc Half The Time After New Tire Install

Hello Everyone, New to forum. Hope someone can help with a solution.

Situation: Took bike in to dealer and had tires replaced. After change, I first noticed rear brake was gone so pumped it up. Got home and put on stand. Noticed rear tire rolls free half way around, then can hear rear brake rub for the other half. Pushed in brake, started bike on stand and tire rolls free all around. Pumped rear brake again, but same result - rolls free half way around, then can hear rear brake rub for the other half.

Can someone help a newb troubleshoot and solve this issue? Is this a safety concern?

Thanks,
DGF.
2013 ZX10R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-08-2018, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
DGF
Squid

Posting Frequency

I do not know, the dealer did the work. I would not think it necessary to remove the rotor from the rim when replacing the tire though.
post #3 of 22 Old 04-08-2018, 09:50 PM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Sounds like they dorked your rotor.
Wrangoleer likes this.

post #4 of 22 Old 04-08-2018, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
DGF
Squid

Posting Frequency

This is my thought as well. I was just hoping it was something else. This probably explains why my rear brake was completely decompressed when I got on it.
post #5 of 22 Old 04-09-2018, 10:38 AM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF View Post
This is my thought as well. I was just hoping it was something else. This probably explains why my rear brake was completely decompressed when I got on it.
As far as the caliper pucks being reset, that's normal, they just didn't pump the brake until they were up against the rotor after putting the wheel back on. That's bad for a dealer to do that though, customer might ride off and try to use their rear brake and they're not going to have anything. I've done that myself once or twice. It's also somewhat normal for there to be a slight warp, which could explain your issue. There is a tolerance limit for the warp and believe it or not, if the bike is covered under warranty still a rotor that is warped beyond tolerances is actually covered by the warranty. I had a couple of rotors replaced on a 4 year old ZX6R under warranty for that.

post #6 of 22 Old 04-09-2018, 04:38 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Have they put the right spacer in the right side
scout likes this.
post #7 of 22 Old 04-09-2018, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
DGF
Squid

Posting Frequency

Boxtradamus,

I checked. I found a pic taken a while ago of the rotor and compared it to today - there are #11 and 45MM stamps visible in both the old pic and now so believe the rotor is facing the right way. It is smooth all the way around with no bolt obstructions. Hope the dealer would not have to remove a rotor just to change the tire.

Without removing the wheel, is there a visual way to see / determine if a Spacer is missing from either the Left or Right side?

Thanks.
post #8 of 22 Old 04-09-2018, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
DGF
Squid

Posting Frequency

ukzx10r and Boxradamus, is there a way to visually see, or inspect, the tire to determine if a Spacer is missing or incorrectly installed? Thanks for all your helps.
post #9 of 22 Old 04-09-2018, 11:10 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Somethings seriously not right here.
Do not ride it whatever you do.
The pic you put up doesnt look like a 2013 bike.
Can you confirm its a 2013 model with a zoomed out pic?
Wheres your traction ring and there is no sensor on the bracket??
post #10 of 22 Old 04-10-2018, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
DGF
Squid

Posting Frequency

Ukzx10r, It was Boxtradamus who uploaded the pic. And, yeah, that pic does not look like a 2013. Ha. I think it was just to represent a disc rotor installed backwards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in