22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 107 Old 02-14-2017, 06:13 PM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazOnaZX View Post
....can't give you anymore good rep at the moment, but the follow up is good to have!
Ya know, it's kinda funny because I am really busy as hell today, in fact I have been really busy for the last couple weeks and I really wasn't going to bother to come here and dredge up the old thread just to add something that in all fairness is pretty trivial all the way around, but let me tell you what happened to spur this on.

Yesterday a guy that we had sold a shock to called me about the spring on his shock. He claimed he couldn't get the sag set correctly and that the spring was way too stiff etc. He relayed this info to me after he was told that by his suspension tuner and of course the "guys on the forum" all of whom confirmed that his spring was too stiff.

I know his bike like the back of my hand and I also knew beyond any shadow of doubt that the spring he had on the bike was if ANYTHING a little undersprung for him not oversprung so I told him some things he could check like making sure the linkage bolts weren't too tight etc. Well today that guy called me back and confirmed the linkage bolts were way too tight and were binding the linkage which of course would make the shock seem a lot stiffer than it is. His problem was fixed and that would have been good enough for most people to just carry on, but this guy actually took the time to wait until I was open for business (I'm West coast and he is on the East Coast) and told me what it was that fixed his issue. I cannot convey to you guys or that guy how appreciative I am of him doing that. It's so nice to actually know the answers to your questions so that you can apply what you have learned to something later down the road.

That is pretty much the long winded reason why I came back here today to add on to this thread.
SpazOnaZX and mpp12 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 107 Old 02-14-2017, 08:01 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Yes, they can be used as a noise control device. However MotoGP bikes are using them now and to my knowledge they don't have the same noise issue as WSB as they are running without mufflers.
post #103 of 107 Old 02-15-2017, 09:42 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

...also, as an FYI, that valve can do really neat stuff for fuel economy in places where cam timing/cylinder fill is not ideal. I've played with it with turbochargers quite a bit.... there are places where a little bit of back pressure can dramatically reduce the fuel load you need for a stable AFR. Granted, these areas are no where near peak power or WOT, but reducing tailpipe emissions and reducing fuel consumption at low(er) engine speeds is not a wasted effort.... but you'll never see it on a dyno graph, and following that, never read about it on a forum. ;)

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.

post #104 of 107 Old 02-15-2017, 10:20 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazOnaZX View Post

...also, as an FYI, that valve can do really neat stuff for fuel economy in places where cam timing/cylinder fill is not ideal. I've played with it with turbochargers quite a bit.... there are places where a little bit of back pressure can dramatically reduce the fuel load you need for a stable AFR. Granted, these areas are no where near peak power or WOT, but reducing tailpipe emissions and reducing fuel consumption at low(er) engine speeds is not a wasted effort.... but you'll never see it on a dyno graph, and following that, never read about it on a forum. ;)
SpazOnaZX the valve is in the collector pipe feeding the exhaust inlet of the turbo or on the exhaust outlet?
post #105 of 107 Old 02-15-2017, 12:53 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Pre-turbine in this case.... post turbine would cause all sorts of hellish problems.
Craig - Sydney likes this.

post #106 of 107 Old 02-15-2017, 06:56 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Could it not be used as a engine brake as well?

Should work exceptional as a exhaust brake.
post #107 of 107 Old 02-15-2017, 10:10 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottoms-Up View Post
Could it not be used as a engine brake as well?

Should work exceptional as a exhaust brake.
Not really. With the throttle blades closed there is very little combustion going on to make that work. It's viable with diesels, but they are not throttled. :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.