Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Proper clutch replacement and oil

Gen 4: 2011-15 
13K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  SkyDork 
#1 ·
I'm wanting to try and replace my clutch and maybe use 3 Bartel springs.

1. If I open up the side case, Will I definitely need a new gasket? Also will oil definitely not come out?

2. Any good "How to" video's out there? I can't find a single video that is start to finish with specifically a Gen4. Plenty of suzuki type videos. Does noone change clutch on Gen4?

#2 ·
1. If you are careful with removing the clutch cover, you should be able to re-use the gasket. I've had my cover off probably like 10 times and never had an issue re-using it. Just don't bend the gasket as I don't know if it'd seal well after getting bent.

I've also never had oil come out either and I always have my bike in a wheel chock while changing the clutch. You'd have issues if you some how tipped the bike to the right with the cover off. But if you have the bike on the kickstand or on a rearstand or a chock you will have no problems.

Look at the top picture. Look at the lowest portion exposed with the clutch cover off then look to where the sight glass is for checking the oil level. The sight glass is lower, if you have the bike over filled you might leak out a bit but it shouldn't be an issue. Pic also shows the sequence and the torque specs for when you put the clutch cover back on too :hello: If you look at the bike

I should make a video one of these days but never want to take the time to do one.

#3 ·
Thanks a bunch. How about in terms of Clutch plates?
Which are preferred and their order? I'm sure once I have it open, it will make sense, but just in case want to make sure. Also, I have full synthetic oil, any reason i should go back to regular or synthetic blend?

#6 ·
Hardest part for me was always figuring out which way those little seat and spring set between the first and 2nd steel plate, I always look at the manual when doing that part. I attached an picture to hopefully show you that part.

Depending where you get the clutch from they might not have different sized blocks like described in the manual. I get my clutches from cycle concepts and just throw them in, don't pay any attention to block sizes or different thickness steels going in any particular direction.

Attachments

#7 ·
Ditto, I've reused my gasket plenty of times. As far as minimizing oil coming out, just make sure you work on the bike cold and most of the oil will have settled in the pan, I only lose a drop or two when I work on my clutch or gearbox. Brocks has a couple videos going over installing one of their clutch mods on youtube that gives you a pretty comprehensive look at whats involved.

#8 · (Edited)
I replaced my clutch discs in my gen4. Pull them out and lay them in order, soak the new discs in oil (i soaked mine for 24hrs), measure the stack height and install them the same way you pulled the old ones out. Set the cable tension so it doesnt drag. Then you are good to go. I'm running motul 300v. There are some good videos on how to change the discs out. Its really simple. Took me 45mins and 20mins was figuring out how to remove the fairings without breaking them lol

#17 ·
So I replaced my clutch in my 2012 ZX-10R yesterday. I followed the steps listed above. When I put the clutch housing back together and attched the clutch cable to the actuator. The clutch never once got tight after I adjusted the knob on the handle bar. I also turned the adjustment nuts and nothing happened. Can someone please help me. I installed fiber first, steel, washer, bulged washer, fiber, steel, etc.

#18 ·
Uh, you need to make sure that you engaged the actuator to the pusher rod correctly. There's a notch in it for the pusher to hook into. If it's just loose, then it's not engaged. You don't need to worry about the cable until you can feel tension on the throw arm to check for engagement on the actuator. Then you hook up the cable after that and adjust it from there.

Reactions: DaMamba2
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.