Power Commander question! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 01-09-2017, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Power Commander question!

Hello guys!

I have a 2016 zx10r and I just purchased the full akrapovic exhaust from rev zilla, along with a power commander.

The only issue I see is all the maps on the power commander site seem to say European model next to the one that says (full akra exhaust)

I have done a bunch of searching but just come up with it has to do with gas and having a leaner tune.... I called power commander but the guy that answered didn't seem to be very knowledgeable on what the difference was and if its okay.

Can someone with better knowledge fill me in?

I really appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-09-2017, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

shoot sorry about the double post ><

what a way to make a entrance
post #3 of 19 Old 01-09-2017, 12:13 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

where are you located?

it's usually best to go to a dyno tuner and have them build a custom map for your bike. the power commander maps are there can be too...varied, to be considered safe to use

Shut up and ride.

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv

post #4 of 19 Old 01-09-2017, 12:56 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Garage
Fully agree with Naked!dont be to hasty with generic maps on fuel controllers websites!if you post up what area your located someone on the forum will point you towards a reputable Dyno tuner and that way there is no second guessing in your head the question "if"this map is ok!
post #5 of 19 Old 01-09-2017, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Okay awesome! I live about 20 minutes from fort worth texas!

Does the dyno shop need a power commander to tune kinda like cobb to a car, or should I cancel that part of the order?

it does say on rev zilla you don't necessarily need to tune it with new headers but it is recommended so theoretically I suppose I could be easy and drive it to the shop with them installed

Thanks again!
KRTone likes this.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-09-2017, 01:47 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Here's a quick breakdown for you. yes, you need it tuned. even bone stock. the fueling is off from factory due to epa crap in america. Sadly, on your bike, there is a lot of software restrictions that only fuel tuning cannot fix.

the other answer is yes and no, a dyno shop will need a power commander to tune your bike. unless they can flash the ecu, in which case they don't.

If you can, look for an ecu tuner in dallas who uses woolich racing or ftecu. an ecu flash tunes your bike to its fullest potential, fixing issues in the bike that fueling can't fix because there are software restrictions in your bike from the factory.

If you can't find a local dyno tuner for this, you can purchase the equipment yourself and flash the ecu if you are a DIY'er

Your other options is to mail it to a dyno tuner who provides mail in ecu flashing services. i recommend 2 wheel dynoworks. 2 Wheel DynoWorks ECU Flash

with an ecu flash, you would not need a power commander and can sell it or return it to revzilla. the tuners with mail in flashes should have exhaust specific ecu flashes. the list of things a tuned ecu flash changes is very long and there's a lot of threads posted about it.

i know the last thing you want to do is buy an ecu flash for ~$300 but returning the pc5 should offset that cost and it will get you a better performing motorcycle

Shut up and ride.

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv
post #7 of 19 Old 01-09-2017, 01:53 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Well, there's actually a lot you're going to have to do in order to use a Power Commander (which is essentially obsolete in these days of ECU flashes).

Since the PC only controls fuel, the Euro maps should be fine to use. But that doesn't necessarily mean they will be good maps. As most of them downloaded from DynoJet's website basically suck, I wouldn't count on it being of much help. And the Euro maps will be predicated on the way the Euro ETV maps work, which should be different than the US ones.

To use the PC properly, you're going to have to disable the stock O2 sensor to make that work or you're ECU will be fighting the PC to make proper adjustments.

The best way to tune the bike is to reflash the ECU with the proper fueling changes made to your specific bike by a tuner. Skip the Power Commander all together. Get it mapped properly and there's some serious gains to be had. The pipe and Power Commander can't correct for the ECU restrictions, so in order to get the most from it, you'd have to reflash it anyway.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #8 of 19 Old 01-09-2017, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Holy hell! Thank you guys so much! I am calling woolich right now and cancelling the power commander! That's why I love these forums you guys get it straightened away immediately!
post #9 of 19 Old 01-09-2017, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

do you guys reccomend the

2016-2017 Kawasaki ZX10R
USB M v3 Package

or

2016-2017 ZX10R
Log Box (Mitsubishi)
+ Zeitronix ZT-3 Wideband Package

not sure what would be more bang for my buck down the road!
post #10 of 19 Old 01-09-2017, 02:54 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared355 View Post
do you guys reccomend the

2016-2017 Kawasaki ZX10R
USB M v3 Package

or

2016-2017 ZX10R
Log Box (Mitsubishi)
+ Zeitronix ZT-3 Wideband Package

not sure what would be more bang for my buck down the road!
Down the road, the Logbox will be the better purchase. This will allow you to data capture and tune the bike yourself pretty easily.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.