3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 02-18-2018, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Part Help

Hello,

I've got a small problem, I was washing my bike today and this "heat shield" with a not so sticky backside came off from somewhere on the left side. Third time I've washed it and I don't use a lot of pressure so this is crazy it came off of wherever it's from. See attached photos plz. Anyone have an idea? Thx.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-18-2018, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
I'm assuming it's a heat shield.

post #3 of 13 Old 02-19-2018, 12:41 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Just keep the old piece, buy some aluminum heat shield on amazon, and cut to the same shape as the OEM. Just make sure the surface you want to bond to is spotless.. maybe even scotch brite it so you know it won't come off again. Most likely this shield wasn't applied properly and the adhesive on these things dry out super quick if they're not bonded to a surface properly.
Forrest Hebert likes this.

post #4 of 13 Old 02-19-2018, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddipaola View Post
Just keep the old piece, buy some aluminum heat shield on amazon, and cut to the same shape as the OEM. Just make sure the surface you want to bond to is spotless.. maybe even scotch brite it so you know it won't come off again. Most likely this shield wasn't applied properly and the adhesive on these things dry out super quick if they're not bonded to a surface properly.
Thx 4 help.

post #5 of 13 Old 02-20-2018, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Still can't find where it's suppose to go. Anyone have another gen 5 and could check there left side inside farings etc? I asked a dealer but no response yet.

post #6 of 13 Old 02-20-2018, 04:08 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Hi there! You actually have a couple of problems here. First one is that you're using water to wash the bike. The next one is you didn't just pull up the parts diagram to figure out where it goes. Left inside frame rail, not the fairing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pad.png
Views:	32
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	412594  

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #7 of 13 Old 02-20-2018, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Hi there! You actually have a couple of problems here. First one is that you're using water to wash the bike. The next one is you didn't just pull up the parts diagram to figure out where it goes. Left inside frame rail, not the fairing.
Lots of people use water to wash bikes. I kinda have to because I ride in all kinds of weather. But I wish I didn't have to. I didn't think bout a parts diagram. Thx 4 help.

post #8 of 13 Old 02-22-2018, 02:36 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
it sticks to the inside of the frame hear the radiator on top. it should fit into the somewhat recessed area around the same shape of the piece. The Gen 4 did not have any of them but had similar openings/impressions as the Gen 5 does.

Anyone know why they added these in the impressions for the Gen 5 when the Gen 4 did not have any?

Forrest if you need a picture of where that piece specifically goes on a bike I could get one for you, just let me know.
Forrest Hebert likes this.

2011 ZX-10R Ebony
post #9 of 13 Old 02-22-2018, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brimal_rage View Post
it sticks to the inside of the frame hear the radiator on top. it should fit into the somewhat recessed area around the same shape of the piece. The Gen 4 did not have any of them but had similar openings/impressions as the Gen 5 does.

Anyone know why they added these in the impressions for the Gen 5 when the Gen 4 did not have any?

Forrest if you need a picture of where that piece specifically goes on a bike I could get one for you, just let me know.
I'll take a pic for reference only if it doesn't make you go outta your way and take bike apart. I'll be taking my bike apart soon to put it on and do some other work. Thank you.

post #10 of 13 Old 02-24-2018, 08:00 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Hebert View Post
I'll take a pic for reference only if it doesn't make you go outta your way and take bike apart. I'll be taking my bike apart soon to put it on and do some other work. Thank you.

It would not be out of my way at all, in the least.

We have a Gen 4 and Gen 5 torn apart with engines removed sitting on tables side by side where I work. I could easily snap pictures of the frame's inside area and the pads/lack of them in the difference generations. The only reason why I recognize the piece you posted is because after tearing down the Gen 5 I noticed the pads installed inside the frame and wondered why they were added, also why they are absent from Gen 4 machines.

On Monday I will take a few pictures of the area and I can throw them up here Monday night when I get home. might as well considering its barely any extra work.

2011 ZX-10R Ebony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in