Gen 5: 2016 -> OMG Ohlins - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 24Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 03-06-2018, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider
 
Honey Badger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 137
Posting Frequency
 
Garage
OMG Ohlins

Caveat: I've never ridden a bike with full suspension on it...

When I picked up my Gen 5, I was pretty hesitant to upgrade the suspension - I figured I would eventually, but I knew plenty of people who went faster than me on the stock stuff, so I put it off (medical bills also prompted that decision).

This winter I decided to build the bike the way I wanted it, and got the Ohlins shock and a set of the GP cartridges (used off of Pascarella's bike) for the forks.

The last weekend of February was my first time riding the bike with the new suspension. While everything was sprung to begin with, I didn't even have sag set as I haven't seen my suspension guy.

Even without that, OMG, it was a completely different bike. HOLY CRAP. I will never look the other way again. I can't wait to get out on it again (please rain, go away next weekend) after I get some base line set up done. Suddenly the bike was doing everything I wanted it to do, and the only thing holding it back was the back of my mind still thinking it would act like it had before....which was not the case. At all.
or10r and peterd10r like this.

Racing Like a Honey Badger Blog

AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2017 sponsors and supporters!!
Kawasaki USA Team Green; DareDevil Motorsports; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; RiderzLaw; Dainese D-Store SF; BARF Racing; Dunlop Race Tires; Woodcraft; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Skratch Labs; PUSH Laptimer
Honey Badger is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 38 Old 03-06-2018, 06:30 PM
Я - Ребенок Люциферов
 
Vonstallin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 3,454
Posting Frequency
Images: 16
      
Ive been slapping suspension parts on my Kaws since 2004.
On average I was using Penski then moved on to Ohlins. Mostly because I could get Ohlins cheaper....by surprise.

WERA Novice 325 | CCS Novice 326 | The Nightmare of Summit Point

2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race) | 2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
Vonstallin is offline  
post #3 of 38 Old 03-06-2018, 11:18 PM
GP Star
 
peterd10r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,687
Posting Frequency
Images: 7
     
Garage
Ohlins all round

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
Caveat: I've never ridden a bike with full suspension on it...

When I picked up my Gen 5, I was pretty hesitant to upgrade the suspension - I figured I would eventually, but I knew plenty of people who went faster than me on the stock stuff, so I put it off (medical bills also prompted that decision).

This winter I decided to build the bike the way I wanted it, and got the Ohlins shock and a set of the GP cartridges (used off of Pascarella's bike) for the forks.

The last weekend of February was my first time riding the bike with the new suspension. While everything was sprung to begin with, I didn't even have sag set as I haven't seen my suspension guy.

Even without that, OMG, it was a completely different bike. HOLY CRAP. I will never look the other way again. I can't wait to get out on it again (please rain, go away next weekend) after I get some base line set up done. Suddenly the bike was doing everything I wanted it to do, and the only thing holding it back was the back of my mind still thinking it would act like it had before....which was not the case. At all.
Even though I don't do track days or race!but how I would try and explain the difference from a before and after feeling!from driving a 1964 VW bug then jumping into Bugatti Veyron!
rcannon and Honey Badger like this.
peterd10r is offline  
 
post #4 of 38 Old 03-07-2018, 03:18 AM
Chairman of the Board
 
or10r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 15,872
Posting Frequency
Images: 17
           
Garage
How's the leg HB?

or10r is offline  
post #5 of 38 Old 03-07-2018, 09:07 PM
Squid
 
Ben75's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 36
Posting Frequency
Images: 2
 
Nice! im running the Ktech rear shock on my Gen 5 - its like day and night from the stock rear shock.
Ben75 is offline  
post #6 of 38 Old 03-08-2018, 10:02 AM
GP Star
 
dricked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 2,164
Posting Frequency
 
I remember you asking why I wasn’t going to give the stock suspension a go when I built my gen 5. Now you know lol.
Honey Badger likes this.
dricked is offline  
post #7 of 38 Old 03-08-2018, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider
 
Honey Badger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 137
Posting Frequency
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
How's the leg HB?
It's getting better. Never will be 100%, but at the opening weekend I hardly noticed it, no missed shifts, either. Wasn't any crankier than on a normal day, so it's come a long way over the winter (that being said, I've been working my a$$ off to get it as far as I could, too). Hoping by this time next year I can safely say that it's 80-90% of what it used to be. Right now it's still probably only about 60% of what it 'used to be.' Functional, joint hasn't collapsed, so hoping that continued work will get it pretty close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dricked View Post
I remember you asking why I wasn’t going to give the stock suspension a go when I built my gen 5. Now you know lol.
I have been converted
dricked likes this.

Racing Like a Honey Badger Blog

AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2017 sponsors and supporters!!
Kawasaki USA Team Green; DareDevil Motorsports; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; RiderzLaw; Dainese D-Store SF; BARF Racing; Dunlop Race Tires; Woodcraft; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Skratch Labs; PUSH Laptimer
Honey Badger is offline  
post #8 of 38 Old 03-09-2018, 03:26 AM
Chairman of the Board
 
or10r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 15,872
Posting Frequency
Images: 17
           
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
It's getting better. Never will be 100%, but at the opening weekend I hardly noticed it, no missed shifts, either. Wasn't any crankier than on a normal day, so it's come a long way over the winter (that being said, I've been working my a$$ off to get it as far as I could, too). Hoping by this time next year I can safely say that it's 80-90% of what it used to be. Right now it's still probably only about 60% of what it 'used to be.' Functional, joint hasn't collapsed, so hoping that continued work will get it pretty close.
That's good to hear. I hope it gets way better than what you ever could imagine. Keep at it!
Honey Badger likes this.

or10r is offline  
post #9 of 38 Old 03-11-2018, 12:48 PM
Squid
 
Shutsuryoku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 15
Posting Frequency
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dricked View Post
I remember you asking why I wasn’t going to give the stock suspension a go when I built my gen 5. Now you know lol.
So all that marketing and SHOWA branded stuff, BPF etc, gets tossed in the trash because their aftermarket counterparts are that much better......I haven't ridden on Showa before but it's a shame to see they suck and are not even remotely close to Ohlins or its direct competitors.
Shutsuryoku is offline  
post #10 of 38 Old 03-11-2018, 07:38 PM
GP Star
 
dricked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 2,164
Posting Frequency
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutsuryoku View Post
So all that marketing and SHOWA branded stuff, BPF etc, gets tossed in the trash because their aftermarket counterparts are that much better......I haven't ridden on Showa before but it's a shame to see they suck and are not even remotely close to Ohlins or its direct competitors.
In the garbage, no. Up on a shelf somewhere collecting dust, yes.
dricked is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome