24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 38 Old 03-12-2018, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dricked View Post
In the garbage, no. Up on a shelf somewhere collecting dust, yes.
Well, mine went onto the street/B bike since it was at least track-sprung for me (still a hella stiff street ride unless I'm moving along, but better than stock at least).

Racing Like a Honey Badger Blog

AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2017 sponsors and supporters!!
Kawasaki USA Team Green; DareDevil Motorsports; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; RiderzLaw; Dainese D-Store SF; BARF Racing; Dunlop Race Tires; Woodcraft; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Skratch Labs; PUSH Laptimer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 Old 03-12-2018, 06:07 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by dricked View Post
In the garbage, no. Up on a shelf somewhere collecting dust, yes.
Fair enough.
post #13 of 38 Old 03-12-2018, 06:40 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

It’s probably not bad to use up until a certain pace on the track but proper suspension is worth every dime. When you think “oh shit, I don’t know if I’ll make this!”, the suspension/tires shrug it off and you really see what this stuff can do. Or you end up on your face.

post #14 of 38 Old 03-12-2018, 08:24 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutsuryoku View Post
So all that marketing and SHOWA branded stuff, BPF etc, gets tossed in the trash because their aftermarket counterparts are that much better......I haven't ridden on Showa before but it's a shame to see they suck and are not even remotely close to Ohlins or its direct competitors.
These people have been racing for years. Itís not like they do 3-7 track days per year. For 95% of the people who buy these bikes, the stock suspension is better than they are fast.
mpp12 likes this.

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS
post #15 of 38 Old 03-12-2018, 09:18 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijack View Post
These people have been racing for years. Itís not like they do 3-7 track days per year. For 95% of the people who buy these bikes, the stock suspension is better than they are fast.
Please lets not open this can of worms. Just because the feedback is coming from someone who races at Superbike level doesn't mean the average street rider can't 'enjoy' or notice some kind of difference riding on aftermarket Ohlins or K-Tech. The OEM units are definitely enough for 95% of riders out there but that is not to say that they will feel the same to the less experienced.
post #16 of 38 Old 03-13-2018, 05:19 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

you're new here, just giving you some background. calm down slick.
mpp12 likes this.

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS
post #17 of 38 Old 03-13-2018, 07:39 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijack View Post
you're new here.
post #18 of 38 Old 03-14-2018, 01:32 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Let me say that many people who ride a bike with Fully adjustable suspension ( I use that term loosely) can't adjust their own suspension to save their lives. I know this because I see them and talk to them on virtually every ride through the Malibu Mountains. Stock Showa and KYB stuff is very good generally. It can be made much better by experienced tuners ( i.e. Paul Thede, Racetech or similar). Now one could be riding an Ohlins product but this person my not be able to Tune said product to make it work the way it should or could. Tuning is key to making anything work, whether stock components or Ohlins stuff. Testing and Tuning!!!!!!! What do you say FELLAS..........make sense?
CanyonCarver likes this.
post #19 of 38 Old 03-14-2018, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Prophet View Post
Let me say that many people who ride a bike with Fully adjustable suspension ( I use that term loosely) can't adjust their own suspension to save their lives. I know this because I see them and talk to them on virtually every ride through the Malibu Mountains. Stock Showa and KYB stuff is very good generally. It can be made much better by experienced tuners ( i.e. Paul Thede, Racetech or similar). Now one could be riding an Ohlins product but this person my not be able to Tune said product to make it work the way it should or could. Tuning is key to making anything work, whether stock components or Ohlins stuff. Testing and Tuning!!!!!!! What do you say FELLAS..........make sense?
Um, most of the posters in this thread are racers. Pretty sure we all have our stuff professionally adjusted, extremely frequently, by people who know WTF they are doing.

The upgraded suspension made a massive difference with how the bike handled without so much as sag set up (although sprung for me and put about where Canfield figured it should be for a starting point).

The stock stuff was sprung and tuned multiple times throughout the year, and never handled anywhere near as well as this set up does.

For the average street rider, sure, get it set up and tuned and it will probably be more than adequet. I wouldn't put Ohlins on my street bike except that it's also my back up race bike, so eventually it'll be getting the upgrade as well.
CanyonCarver and Shutsuryoku like this.

Racing Like a Honey Badger Blog

AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2017 sponsors and supporters!!
Kawasaki USA Team Green; DareDevil Motorsports; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; RiderzLaw; Dainese D-Store SF; BARF Racing; Dunlop Race Tires; Woodcraft; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Skratch Labs; PUSH Laptimer

Last edited by Honey Badger; 03-14-2018 at 03:34 PM.
post #20 of 38 Old 03-14-2018, 04:09 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Knowing how to adjust your suspension yourself makes a big difference in how well your bike can handle. You are the person riding it so, you should be the one adjusting it. I learned that a lesson by time ago. Many of my friends have turned to Dave Moss ( west coast tuner ) for tuning help. He does good work as long as his head is in the game. Again, tuning and testing are paramount in winning races. Because after all, all tracks a bit different and certain suspension set up can make you more confident or hesitant in your riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in