Gen 5: 2016 -> Oil Type (race bike) Clarification - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 Old 07-31-2017, 09:16 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to Otto Man
Rotella T6 is life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 08-01-2017, 08:06 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Why would this particular engine HAVE to run on conventional oil? That makes zero sense. Also using Kawasaki Oil and Filters, keeping receipts and a log, will go a long way towards warranty work. Although If you have flashed your ecu like 99% of us, you might as well forget that.

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS
post #13 of 19 Old 08-01-2017, 03:58 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by obijack View Post
Why would this particular engine HAVE to run on conventional oil? That makes zero sense. Also using Kawasaki Oil and Filters, keeping receipts and a log, will go a long way towards warranty work. Although If you have flashed your ecu like 99% of us, you might as well forget that.

I purchased a spare ecu for this reason alone lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #14 of 19 Old 08-01-2017, 04:41 PM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I generally refrain from participating in oil threads of any kind, but I will quickly throw out what I know about some pertinent details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dricked View Post
I use Lucas Oil and I noticed my engine is quite all weekend where as by Sunday morning it was quite noisy using 300V. I'm yet to replace a clutch using either oil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by obijack View Post
Maxima Extra4 and Motul 300v are ester products and are arguably the highest quality motorcycle oil on the market.

Both of you are right. What they don't tell you is the best possible protection under race conditions generally means that the engine oil doesn't last as long and requires more frequent changes or you will experience exactly what dricked describes. Most people just aren't astute enough to observe the changes in the engine and/or transmission feel or engagement to realize that the oil is going off etc.

Back to the idea that the clutches require Conventional oil over Synthetic. This is both true & false depending on where & when you get the info. Because motorcycle engines share their oil with the transmission there are special friction modifiers required in motorcycle specific oil. The amount and type of those friction modifiers which are much more prevalent in Synthetic engine oils can lead to problems with clutch slippage depending on the type of modifier and the type of organic friction plates. This was a very big problem about 10-15 years ago because all the sudden bikes started coming off the showroom floor with 130-145 rwhp etc and it exacerbated those types of slippage conditions with more & more hp being available. Back then Molybdenum was added to a lot of Full Synthetic oils and was a well known killer of motorcycle clutches. Since then most reputable motorcycle engine oil manufacturers have taken steps to avoid those kinds of issues by changing their formulas and we are also seeing better friction plate designs to cope with the higher & higher horsepower machines we get to enjoy. The bottom line is the stories of failures from many years ago persist and in some cases still happen today so you get the perpetuation of warnings still being dangled over new buyers at dealerships.

It's very similar to when fuel injection first came on to the scene and all the old timers that had been working the parts counters at the dealerships for 40 years were still telling new bike owners that their bikes were too lean from the factory and needed to be ran richer (like they used to be back in the 70's & 80's with carbs) when the truth was most bikes were already too rich from the factory to compensate for the EPA's 1993 clean air act where they started testing for trace elements in exhaust gases and a rich mixture would hide a lot of those hydrocarbons etc during testing.
obijack and Honey Badger like this.
post #15 of 19 Old 08-02-2017, 08:32 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks @LDH; I use maxima pro+ or Motul 7100 in my gsx-s1000 because it is my street bike. And I use the race oil in the gen 5 because it is my track bike. I remember hearing that a while back about the race oils. Good info.

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS
post #16 of 19 Old 08-02-2017, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Thank you LDH for your honest and unbiased response, along with some good information on where these ideas may have sprouted from.

I've already ordered up the Kawi-branded full synthetic. The price is reasonable enough I can change it as often as I feel the need (which is fairly frequently on the race bike).

My GSXR I noticed a difference in oils. It loved the Repsol oil when I could still get that. It did fine on the Motorex, but it is not a fan of the Mobile 1, which I've used a grand total of twice in that bike just for that reason. That bike clearly has a preference at least with how I ride on the street. I will find it interesting to see if the replacement engine (from another bike) prefers similar oil to the original.

Racing Like a Honey Badger Blog

AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2017 sponsors and supporters!!
Kawasaki USA Team Green; DareDevil Motorsports; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; RiderzLaw; Dainese D-Store SF; BARF Racing; Dunlop Race Tires; Woodcraft; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Skratch Labs; PUSH Laptimer
post #17 of 19 Old 08-02-2017, 02:45 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Im doing tack days.... how many track days per oil change do you recommend
post #18 of 19 Old 08-02-2017, 04:24 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp12 View Post
It really depends on a lot of things. If you really want to know how your oil is standing up to the trackdays and street miles you need to get it tested via a reputable laboratory like https://www.blackstone-labs.com/ its only $25-35 to get a UOA and they will help you work on a correct oil change interval. More often is better of course, but you won't know how long is too long without a UOA.

Here are my past UOA's for some of mine/friends bikes/vehicles/motors. https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...G8?usp=sharing
post #19 of 19 Old 08-02-2017, 05:12 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp12 View Post
My oil is changed after each race weekend which is 6 40min sessions (a bit less but close enough). You could probably go longer. If I were on a stockish motor I'd pick a decent affordable oil and change it every track day. Skip the syn and longer drain intervals.
LDH likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.