Gen 5: 2016 -> Oil Fill Level? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 03-20-2018, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Oil Fill Level?

This is a really stupid question, but I'd like to hear the responses. On the Gen 5, manual says 3.5 quarts. This puts the oil up to bottom of the top fill mark. Is this ok? Should I be putting in less? I ask because I changed my air filter recently, and noticed a little oil in the air box. There was no dust, just some oil around the upper sides, and a little dribbled down to the bottom around cylinder 3. Nothing pooled up, or drained into the clear hose.

When I change my oil, I warm the bike up, put it on a rear stand, and remove the drain bolt, and the oil fill cap. I let the bike sit there until it is barely dripping, like maybe 10 to 15 minutes. I then install the oil drain bolt and remove the filter, and let that drizzle to very slow drip as well, maybe 5 to 10 minutes. I then wipe some old oil around the new filters O-ring (I change the oil every 1000 miles), and install the filter (I do not put any new oil in the filter before installing). I then add 3.5 quarts install the oil fill cap, and start the bike.

Now that procedure being said, I put in a little more than 3.5 quarts on one of my oil changes (and I think that is why I have the oil in my airbox - fingers crossed), I rode the bike maybe 50 miles before checking the level and draining some out.

So I question if 3.5 quarts is really too much oil. I noticed after riding, if I remove the oil fill cap, and with a flashlight look into the case, the oil looks a little "frothy" which is not good, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-20-2018, 07:18 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Save yourself the headache of over thinking this. Just target the top line on the sight glass AFTER you've primed the filter by running the new oil for a few moments. Personally, I prime the new filter before installing it but it probably doesn't matter since the we warmed it up before draining and there'll be a film of old oil protecting the internals.

2013 ABS, Bridgestone T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, GP shift, Gen5 shock/links/dogbone, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), Bestem carbon, PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modded sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 45,000km+ and going strong!
post #3 of 20 Old 03-20-2018, 07:24 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

By "frothy" if you mean it looks like a chocolate milkshake, you have some built up moisture in the motor from a long cold storage period or a head gasket issue. That's a mix of oil and water. If it's from a cold storage, you just need to take the bike out for nice long (hot) run to burn off that water.

Don't pull a rookie mistake and run the bike every week in your garage for 10 minutes. That's a bad idea and will cause the milkshake to occur.
turtle1000 likes this.

2013 ABS, Bridgestone T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, GP shift, Gen5 shock/links/dogbone, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), Bestem carbon, PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modded sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 45,000km+ and going strong!

post #4 of 20 Old 03-20-2018, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

By "frothy" I mean, there was a very thin layer of what looked like bubbles at the top, I'd compare it to like the head of a beer, it definitely didn't look like oil in a non-agitated state. Bike is stored in a heated garage.

I read somewhere that too much oil can cause the "frothy" to happen and that is obviously not ideal for lubrication, so that in conjunction with riding it for 50 miles before I drained some out (which is when I checked and saw the "frothy"), leads me to think, or rather hope that is the reason I saw some oil in my air box.
post #5 of 20 Old 03-30-2018, 10:28 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

On rear stand, do what rider above said and load, kinda load the new filter with oil; install filter. Add about three quarts. Run for a few minutes. Go away for one hour. Look at glass and add and repeat, but add very little, like a half cup. Engine is tiny. Repeat that about ten times until you get the feel of how small the oil stomach is on our engine.

Take your time. If you overfill and run a loop, you will burn oil. You'll know, as you'll smell it burning. The bike hates that.

Trust me. Been there.

Also, and this is kinda odd, the entire glass covered in oil does NOT mean too much oil if you add tiny amounts. Too much oil problem is you add WAY too much; this links to the above burn oil problem.

Last edited by scout; 04-02-2018 at 06:40 PM.
post #6 of 20 Old 03-30-2018, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

When I overfilled, it wasn't by very much, maybe an ounce or two.

Why would I be seeing oil in my airbox if it wasn't because of overfilling? Is there anything I can do to test if there are issues? Are there any symptoms? I don't smell oil burning, I don't see any smoke coming out of my exhaust.

Also, how would I know I am at the fill line, if the bike is on a rear stand when adding oil?
post #7 of 20 Old 03-30-2018, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Can't edit my post, sorry. But isn't there a synthetic oil out there that is a different color, like I think green? I'd be real curious to try that for my next change, and then inspect the air box to see if I see green oil deposits. Good idea? LOL I have no clue, but this is something that bugs the hell out of me.
post #8 of 20 Old 03-31-2018, 02:36 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
The green oil you are talking about is probably Motul 300V. Oil is a topic that peoples opinions and views differ greatly on so do your own reading and decide for yourself. Personally I think 300V is overkill fro a street bike and I run Motul 7100. It's red just in case the colour is important to you, lol.

Almost every sports bike I've had or worked on gets a very small amount of trace oil in the airbox. It is normal and nothing to be concerned about unless there is so much it's pooling in there. Usually it's from some oil passing the rings into the top end of the cylinders then coming up the intake into the airbox. Can also come through the valve stem collar from the valve train. The oil lubricates the wall of the cylinder and its only an issue if the rings are out of tolerance and too much oil passes them. The oil often burns on combustion but when the bike is not under load, especially if fuel cut kicks in, there is little combustion to consume the oil. I just want to stress I am talking a minute quantity. It can on some bikes also come through the AIS from the exhaust which plumbs back into the airbox. If it's not consuming oil and it's not blowing smoke it's probably fine. Do a leak down test if you want to be sure about the rings. Head gasket failure between an oil gallery and cylinder can also do it but that sounds unlikely.

Stress less and ride more!
GearsNStuff likes this.

-Woolich/Race Tools/Log Box V3|-Graves Titanium/Carbon cat eliminator|-Ohlins Mechatronic|+2 rear|More stuff + stone chips & bugs
post #9 of 20 Old 03-31-2018, 07:47 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

what's the miles on the bike.
post #10 of 20 Old 04-05-2018, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
what's the miles on the bike.
3,100 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.