4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 05-22-2018, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Non-kit Cut Times

Search didn't bring up much info.

Looking for some starting numbers for adjusting cut times with Flash Tune on a 2017 ZX10R.

Issue that led into this was the bike not shifting from 4th to 5th at high RPM under a load. Once I completely disconnected the QS, bike shifted old school just fine (still ran like a raped ape, but I miss my autoblip!!!).

Currently have Graves rearsets, GP shift. Also have a set of Bonimici rearsets for the bike.

Problem is obviously electrical, and since it works in all the other gears and under lower RPMs, I'm guessing it's definitely an issue with the cut times, not a loose wire or bad connector.

Just looking for some people who would have some specific numbers we can try to adjust this via Flash Tune. Do NOT have a kit harness. Time crunch here, so don't really have a ton of time to just play around with it and "see what works" so hoping to at least get some base numbers we can tweak but will get us in the right direction.

Racing Like a Honey Badger Blog

AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2017 sponsors and supporters!!
Kawasaki USA Team Green; DareDevil Motorsports; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; RiderzLaw; Dainese D-Store SF; BARF Racing; Dunlop Race Tires; Woodcraft; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Skratch Labs; PUSH Laptimer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 05-22-2018, 01:03 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
What are your current killtime settings? I'm not familiar enough with the FlashTune software or the capabilities of it. I don't know what the settings are in it. Are they killtimes per gear? In milliseconds or percentages? I don't think they would correspond directly to the settings within the Woolich software. On my Gen 4, I used the QS4USB and had killtime settings per gear as follows:

1st->2nd = 75ms
2nd->3rd = 75ms
3rd->4th = 65ms
4th->5th = 55ms
5th->6th = 45ms

Again, I'm not confident that these numbers will translate over directly since they are for a different controller. These values worked well for my needs with it.

I would suggest that you just try adding about 10ms to your current killtime to lengthen it a bit to fix your issue (if that's what the values are in). It might be a bit of a trial-n-error way to go, but it shouldn't take much of a change to see if it responds. You can tweak the numbers to your liking if that doesn't work.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 30 Old 05-22-2018, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
What are your current killtime settings? I'm not familiar enough with the FlashTune software or the capabilities of it. I don't know what the settings are in it. Are they killtimes per gear? In milliseconds or percentages? I don't think they would correspond directly to the settings within the Woolich software. On my Gen 4, I used the QS4USB and had killtime settings per gear as follows:

1st->2nd = 75ms
2nd->3rd = 75ms
3rd->4th = 65ms
4th->5th = 55ms
5th->6th = 45ms

Again, I'm not confident that these numbers will translate over directly since they are for a different controller. These values worked well for my needs with it.

I would suggest that you just try adding about 10ms to your current killtime to lengthen it a bit to fix your issue (if that's what the values are in). It might be a bit of a trial-n-error way to go, but it shouldn't take much of a change to see if it responds. You can tweak the numbers to your liking if that doesn't work.
Thanks, that's a point in the right direction, appreciate it. Unfortunately at this point I'm having to rely on my shop/crew chief for this as I haven't invested in the FT myself yet (really probably need to, but not gonna happen in the next month or two!).

Right now, all those settings are still stock, we never messed with the cut times.

AFM #302

Kawasaki USA Team Green; DareDevil Motorsports; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; RiderzLaw; Dainese D-Store SF; BARF Racing; Dunlop Race Tires; Woodcraft; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Skratch Labs; PUSH Laptimer

post #4 of 30 Old 05-22-2018, 02:54 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
Right now, all those settings are still stock, we never messed with the cut times.

Strange. If the killtimes weren't messed with, then why would only one shift point not work properly? That doesn't really make sense to me. Or are you referring to the killtimes that come standard with the FT ECU map that may actually be different than the OEM times from Kawi?

#WordCrimes

post #5 of 30 Old 05-22-2018, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Strange. If the killtimes weren't messed with, then why would only one shift point not work properly? That doesn't really make sense to me. Or are you referring to the killtimes that come standard with the FT ECU map that may actually be different than the OEM times from Kawi?
Rumor has it swapping the rearsets fucks with the sensor and you need to adjust the times. Trust me, has me scratching my head too, but I've heard it from some fairly reliable sources.

AFM #302

post #6 of 30 Old 05-22-2018, 03:26 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Rumor has it swapping the rearsets fucks with the sensor and you need to adjust the times. Trust me, has me scratching my head too, but I've heard it from some fairly reliable sources.

In theory, I can believe that thought. But given that the switch is just a strain gauge I don't see how the rearset change would affect only one gear change and not all of them. That would make sense if the rearsets changed how the QS works for everything. But I'm only speculating on that and scratching my own head there.

Again, I don't know how the FTECU software works in the interface. But if it works like the Woolich software, the QS activation pressure is able to be modified since it's a strain gauge. Maybe you need to check and lower the activation pressure value instead of the killtimes.

#WordCrimes

post #7 of 30 Old 05-22-2018, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
In theory, I can believe that thought. But given that the switch is just a strain gauge I don't see how the rearset change would affect only one gear change and not all of them. That would make sense if the rearsets changed how the QS works for everything. But I'm only speculating on that and scratching my own head there.

Again, I don't know how the FTECU software works in the interface. But if it works like the Woolich software, the QS activation pressure is able to be modified since it's a strain gauge. Maybe you need to check and lower the activation pressure value instead of the killtimes.
Ya, we're playing around with it. "Thankfully?" my shop/crew chief has the same bike and is experiencing the same issue, so he can do some trouble shooting on his bike before I involve mine But yes, it has us pretty stumped, but Laguna (where you're driving up hills at those kinds of speeds) REALLY made the problem obvious for both of us.

AFM #302

post #8 of 30 Old 05-23-2018, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Mini update, we're still working this all out, but looks like we need the Kawi software in order to adjust the timing voltage on the QS. Flashtune doesn't allow it unless you have their sensor I guess. So, we're still seeing what options may exist, including just a reflash of the ECU to see if that helps.

AFM #302

post #9 of 30 Old 05-23-2018, 11:46 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Mini update, we're still working this all out, but looks like we need the Kawi software in order to adjust the timing voltage on the QS. Flashtune doesn't allow it unless you have their sensor I guess. So, we're still seeing what options may exist, including just a reflash of the ECU to see if that helps.
Hey sorry, I don't mean to disrupt your thread, but I'm curious how you are able to adjust the QS using FTECU software? Mine has no options for that. Do you have their Auto-Blipper installed?
post #10 of 30 Old 05-23-2018, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearsNStuff View Post
Hey sorry, I don't mean to disrupt your thread, but I'm curious how you are able to adjust the QS using FTECU software? Mine has no options for that. Do you have their Auto-Blipper installed?
We can't, that's what we found out yesterday. Need the Kawi software to do that unless you have the FT auto-blipper, which I do not.

AFM #302

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in