Gen 5: 2016 -> No start - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 Old 04-19-2018, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I ordered a OBD 2 to KDS cable and paid for 2 day air so hopefully I can get this squared away before the weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 04-19-2018, 01:14 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Personally if I had to remove the tank, the first thing I would have done is remove the PC5, or make sure my PC5 is on the latest firmware.
post #13 of 17 Old 04-19-2018, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I thought about that too, the one thing I’m worried is taking that posi tap off having a hole in the wire. If I just remove the wire from the ecu would it remove power from the power commander and still run the injectors with the harness still on? Or does it need to be fully removed?

post #14 of 17 Old 04-19-2018, 06:50 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPac View Post
I thought about that too, the one thing Iím worried is taking that posi tap off having a hole in the wire. If I just remove the wire from the ecu would it remove power from the power commander and still run the injectors with the harness still on? Or does it need to be fully removed?
I'd completely take the PC5 out of the loop. Sorry that doesn't answer your specific question, I have no experience with PC5. That said, seeing your dash flash like that reminds me of what my bike does when I am flashing my ECU via bike side harness. This is why I suggest looking at PC5.

That said, if i understand Power Commanders, there is nothing that plugs into the ECU, so that posi tap you are speaking about is just to get 12v to the PC??? But if that wire (without knowing it's purpose on the ECU) is broken on the ecu side of the tap, that too might be a problem. I don't know man, I'm just a backyard mechanic like you. But yeah, if you already have access, disconnect your bike injector plugs from the PC and plug back into the bike. I guess you can just leave the posi tap, but you might want to test voltage on the wire on the ECU side if you still have an issue. Maybe the wire is broken and the ecu is not getting the 12v it needs from that wire.
post #15 of 17 Old 04-24-2018, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
UPDATE.

After issues with Graves I finally got my KDS cord. I had 4 codes when I originally scanned it and were from stuff I had unplugged when I was working on it. Cleared the codes and the dash stopped flashing, but the check engine light was still on but ran the scan again no codes. Now I have it on a battery charger and was cranking it over with no start. So the dash started to flash again, I run the codes and I get the crank sensor code again, figured the first time was I had it unplugged. But the whole electrical system is still running and “resetting” after a couple seconds like in the video posted above. I’m thinking now this is more a bad battery issue then the crank sensor due to the bike “resetting”. I’m just surprised if the battery is already junk. I bought the bike new off the show room floor last June and it’s only got 2k miles on it. But I’ve seen stranger things in the race car. So I’m going to run the battery to the auto parts store and have it tested. I’m hoping that’s my issue. I don’t know if the sensor would be covered under the warranty or even how long or what the factory warranty covered.
post #16 of 17 Old 04-29-2018, 07:38 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

When plastic came off you tweaked at least one point in the harness. If the 5 is configured like the g4, tank plastic, left side, upper ripped off. Start sorting right when you noted the results of your creation that produced the plastic problem.
post #17 of 17 Old 05-03-2018, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
When plastic came off you tweaked at least one point in the harness. If the 5 is configured like the g4, tank plastic, left side, upper ripped off. Start sorting right when you noted the results of your creation that produced the plastic problem.
It’s was the right side that ripped off, lower side fairing and the upper fairing at the headlight. But I found the issue tonight. Somehow I got the crank wiring pinched between the clutch cover and cut the ground. Spliced it and the “reset” quit and it rode like a top! Something so simple!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in