Gen 4: 2011-2015 Need Inputs: Brembo Brake Upgrade - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 03-05-2017, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Need Inputs: Brembo Brake Upgrade

Trying to budget what to save for next between suspension and brakes and brakes seem to be the cheaper option so that might take the win.

Just wanted some inputs before I ripped out the ABS system.

Trying to decide between the M4 monoblock or the GP4-RX's with the 320mm discs for my gen 4. The M4 look similar to the factory brembo calipers that came on the GSXR's. So a part of me is staring at them like WTF? Lol!

The GP4-RX's, are probably gonna take the win though. Love hat nickel finish, but how durable is coating? Worried about rock chips affecting the finish...

Either way? I'm getting anew brembo MC, and steel braided lines.

Just to give everyone some background. I know they're gonna be overboard either way.. I'll probably do 3-4 track days a year, but this is my main hobby and I'm taking this build more seriously than I did with my other bikes. Thanks in advance for any inputs!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 03-05-2017, 06:54 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

I did similar upgrade, and used gsxr brembos. No complaint with the caliper. The set is much lighter than our stock brakes. Power/feel advantage? not really I'll have to explain...

The stock gsxr brembo pads were terrible. Low power, and a lack of feel.

I switched the pads out to a vesrah, and have been very happy. I also added Brembo master cylinder form a 2012 ducati 1198 sp. I was running Galfer Wave rotors, 310mm size. Great power. Huge power form the first second

Last spring, Im lookign at ebay, and someone is selling the 330mm Brembo rotors from a 2016 zx10. 150.00, including shipping. I had to have them.

In all seriousness, they do not have the grab, or the instant power of the galfer wave, but the feel is so incredibly smooth, Ive learned to really enjoy them.

What I learned is:

Goodpads are most of the battle. A good caliper, with a long wearing, consumer issued pad is nothing.

I really like the round rotor and not the wave. The round rotor feels like I have more braking range, for lack of better words. The wave grabs too hard, initially.

The gp4-rx was not available when I did mine, or thats what Id have used. I believe their quality is higher than what I have. Still, no complaints.

Good news is that after spending almost 800.00, I am sure I at least equaled my concours 14 stock brakes, and maybe even bettered them..maybe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170119_151955.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	393706  
post #3 of 30 Old 03-05-2017, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I may just save some money and do a pad and brembo t drive setup... as long as I can get over not wanting the bling factor! Lol!

post #4 of 30 Old 03-05-2017, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks for the input by the way!

post #5 of 30 Old 03-05-2017, 08:02 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

In all seriousness, I could have, and should have skipped the calipers. I know mine are not as good as the ones you are looking at, but I gained nothing except saving weight. It was almost 1lb, with both calipers added together, so fairly significant.

The brembo master cylinder was amazing. Again, I went low budget, but it was very worthwhile.

If you were to do the master cylinder and pads, I dont think you'll be able to justify the calipers, unless the bling counts for a lot...
post #6 of 30 Old 03-05-2017, 12:28 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

In order:

(1) Fluid
(2) Pads
(3) SS Lines

(4) Master
(5) Good rotors
(6) Calipers

In racing I'll do 1-3 first and then consider 4. If I have a specific problem like vibration then new rotors. I've never gotten to calipers since 1-5 has always done the trick.

IMHO from a budget perspective on a Gen 4, proper springs in the fork, rear shock and linkage before going beyond those first 3 brake upgrades.
Helitech likes this.

Thank you to my racing sponsors Riders Discount and Alpha1 Vinylworks

Last edited by sdiver68; 03-06-2017 at 07:39 AM.
post #7 of 30 Old 03-05-2017, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68 View Post
In order:

(1) Fluid
(2) Pads
(3) SS Lines

(4) Master
(5) Good rotors
(6) Calipers

In racing I'll do 1-3 first and then consider 4. If I have a specific problem like vibration then new rotors. I've never gotten to calipers since 1-5 has always done the trick.

IMHO from a budget perspective on a Gen 4, proper springs in the fork, rear shock and linkage before going beyond those brake upgrades.

Might switch to suspension parts first then! Thanks! I'll do 1-3 then see how I feel.

post #8 of 30 Old 03-06-2017, 02:43 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Garage
Helitech the M4 are lighter than the gp4rx!after I changed the 6 M8 gp4rx bolts that hold the calipers together they were around the same weight!gp4rx look a bit nicer and are 2 piece but think M4 is 1 piece!now if you want to loose a lot more weight but they are more expensive the gp4rr are the next step mate
Helitech likes this.
post #9 of 30 Old 03-06-2017, 06:41 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

I think with the brakes theres always a "Next" level you can improve upon. Still if you use Helitec's list, once you get past 3, its expensive, and harder to justify.
post #10 of 30 Old 03-06-2017, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

That's what's key right now, harder to justify! I think I'll do 1-3 first as listed above, then move on to some ohlins bits for the suspension as the next major purchases...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.