Gen 4: 2011-2015 Need Inputs: Brembo Brake Upgrade - Page 3 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 37 Old 03-06-2017, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Is your bike an ABS model? If it is, That's where you're losing your feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 Old 03-06-2017, 07:07 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helitech View Post
Is your bike an ABS model? If it is, That's where you're losing your feel.

No it's non ABS model actually (don't get confused by battery thread..).

The feel I describe is all due to stock master cylinder.

By the way, this doesn't make the MC a bad one....It gives consistent brake feel...And as far as I hear, it does not suffer brake fade after hard track use like the GSXR stock MC

BUT

I personally do not like the feel...I like a very strong (hard) initial pressure.

Nothing to do with how the brakes actually work in stopping the bike...All to do with feel at the lever...That's me.

Last edited by 10Arghh; 03-06-2017 at 07:10 PM.
post #23 of 37 Old 03-13-2017, 10:19 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

If you like a hard initial bite the Galfer wave rotors are something you would like.

I have a set that I ran last summer, and they bite HARD.

For me, I preferred the smooth and powerful way the round brembos bite, but its a personal preference thing for sure.

post #24 of 37 Old 03-13-2017, 10:23 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

[QUOTE=rcannon;4319154]If you like a hard initial bite the Galfer wave rotors are something you would like.

I have a set that I ran last summer, and they bite HARD.

For me, I preferred the smooth and powerful way the round brembos bite, but its a personal preference thing for sure.

I wish you were closer I have a set of Vesrah endurance racing pads I would hook you up with.

I bought them used, on ebay, from a race team.

I hated using them because each and every stop reminded you they were wearing them out. Wearing them out was sad, because I knew this pad was "IT"..I'll never find a better set of brake pads, sort of thing...I'm being dumb, but these pads were amazing, and then some.

When they sold new, the price for two sets, up front, was around 350.00 dollars.
post #25 of 37 Old 03-14-2017, 02:19 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Garage
I have heard a few times the Brembo TDrive can be very very noisey!I actually listened to a YouTube video and when he applied the front brakes it sounded like empty cans being dragged behind a wedding car!thats a little concerning
post #26 of 37 Old 03-14-2017, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterd10r View Post
I have heard a few times the Brembo TDrive can be very very noisey!I actually listened to a YouTube video and when he applied the front brakes it sounded like empty cans being dragged behind a wedding car!thats a little concerning

I've heard some that say they do and some that say they don't. Could be a pad issue or an installation issue?

post #27 of 37 Old 03-20-2017, 06:33 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
I have a 2011 ABS version, I have always been front brake only (30+ years riding), I always hated the ABS. Steps I took were:

1. Added Galfer braided line kit - slight improvement

then 18 months later

2. Plugged front ABS lines and added straight braided lines to front calipers (since ABS is still active no warning lights and ABS still active on rear brake) flushed the brake fluid - much better bit still not great compared to other bikes I had ridden.

another 12 months later

3. Installed monoblock nissin calipers from 2013 ZX6 - all you need is the correct bolts and they are straight swap - absolutely amazing brakes - no change to master cylinder. I have been running this setup now for almost 2 years, 1 finger braking (although I use 2). The initial bite, feel and progression is better than the brembo monoblocks on my Brutale 1078RR
post #28 of 37 Old 03-21-2017, 06:13 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by wized36 View Post
3. Installed monoblock nissin calipers from 2013 ZX6 - all you need is the correct bolts and they are straight swap - absolutely amazing brakes - no change to master cylinder. I have been running this setup now for almost 2 years, 1 finger braking (although I use 2). The initial bite, feel and progression is better than the brembo monoblocks on my Brutale 1078RR
+1 for 2013 ZX6R Nissin monos (not same as earlier 4 pad Nissins).
Running them on my race bike and they stay consistent as pad wears down. They feel maybe minor bit better as Gen4 stock calipers in my opinion and don't lose all precision when 1/3 pad left.
The best about them is steel pistons (less expanding with heat and times less heat transfer compared to aluminum).
Pad wear more even (but not perfect), due to 30/32mm pistons.

Wized36, may I suspect you had much improvement coming from just better pad. Im a fan of EBC GPFAX (race) pads, running them on Busa OEM Brembos too, no comparation to other EBC pads what I call junk after having GPFAX. If you wanna try then GPFAX296HH is the number for 13 Nissin.

There is however a catch to putting them on Gen4: Disk is very lightly scratching caliper. Disk groove on that caliper is very narrow (probalby ZX6R has thinner disks). What I did was: fixed calipers to vice, took real big angle grinder and made that gap ca. 1mm wider (outer side only), it takes good nerve and steady hand. Grinding there does not make caliper construction weaker.
Used shorter ZX6R 13 OEM bolts.

Gen4 race: high spec.
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 2013: stock.
Kawasaki KX450F 2016: love it.
post #29 of 37 Old 03-21-2017, 08:25 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon View Post
If you like a hard initial bite the Galfer wave rotors are something you would like.
Hey I remember you from the z1000sx uk forums

Kawasaki fan like myself I see.

Yes, I was talking about the feel at the lever rather than the feel at the brake disc...
I like a hard feeling from the lever and the stock master cylinder doesn't give the same feel as my Brembo 19x20 MC on my GSXR (which I am going to install on my ZX10R soon).

Saying that, the feel at the disc on the ZX10R is a bit wooden too in my opinion...Plenty of braking performance though.

The best brake set up I have had was actually on the aforementioned GSXR.
Brembo MC, EBC Pro-Lite X Series discs and SBS Sintered road race pads

Best braking feel and performance I'd used on the same track I test all my bike mods on.

I know some people hate on EBC with warp issues, but I've not had a problem with their discs.
post #30 of 37 Old 03-21-2017, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks for the input guys! I'll look into the 13+ ZX-6R brakes since I was looking into the zx-14 Nissin's as well.

@wized36- did you have to grind into the brake disc channel like what @Carlos76 mentioned? I'd really rather not do that since I'd be looking for an easier install. I'll probably plug the front ABS like you did also and leave the rear on... I hardly use the rear anyway.

Again, appreciate all the inputs guys!

rcannon likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.