Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

My Transmission Repair Story

Gen 4: 2011-15 
3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  lenshead 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Just a data point, I hope this informs any others going through similar pains.

After acting funny for a while, including intermittent lack of shift pedal return, my 2011 finally gave out on me, staying stuck in first. Would not even go to neutral. The problem was a broken head on a shift ratchet assembly holder bolt.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: scout
#5 ·
That sucks. How many miles? Riding habits/style? Time to fix? Not having any problems but it'll be good to know. Thanks for posting!
About 48K miles, All street and highway, daily commuting, usually as spirited as conditions allow in Perpetually-Under-Construction-High-Traffic Central Florida.

Reactions: scout
#3 ·
So the first problem was how to extract the broken bolt. I tried at home but lacked confidence I could do it without tearing up the transmission case, so I pulled the transmission, separated the holder plate and took it to the dealer, thinking they had better tools and technique than I did. Wrong. The mounting surface around the extraction site was chewed up enough that i wasn't confident I should re-use the part. Luckily, I found a clean, inexpensive replacement on-line.

I have to say it's positively brilliant to be able to pull the entire transmission out without dropping the engine and separating cases!

On the down side, I'm now waiting for a replacement oil pump sprocket bolt, which I somehow lost, and is a special reverse thread part...Grrr...:angryfire:

#4 ·
So the first problem was how to extract the broken bolt. I tried at home but lacked confidence I could do it without tearing up the transmission case, so I pulled the transmission, separated the holder plate and took it to the dealer, thinking they had better tools and technique than I did. Wrong. The mounting surface around the extraction site was chewed up enough that i wasn't confident I should re-use the part. Luckily, I found a clean, inexpensive replacement on-line.

I have to say it's positively brilliant to be able to pull the entire transmission out without dropping the engine and separating cases!

On the down side, I'm now waiting for a replacement oil pump sprocket bolt, which I somehow lost, and is a special reverse thread part...Grrr...:angryfire:

Damn! Well at least you've got replacement parts sorted and on the way. How miles on the bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
The second problem is locating the lost screw head!

With the oil pan drained I fished around with a magnet, but no luck. I knew it had to be in the oil pan, and considered just leaving it in there with a magnetic drain plug, and catch it at the next oil change, but sanity and previous experience with Murphy's Law got to me. I convinced myself to drop the oil pan. (Royal PITA!)

At least it was worth it. With all the work it took me, I'm thinking of having it made into jewelry or something.

Did I mention I'm also now waiting for an oil pan gasket?

*Sigh*

Attachments

#10 ·
Well, when you consider it's just a 6mm screw and it gets more torque than a spark plug... (15 vs. 13 N.m)

And Yes, I do keep good oil in her, Rotella Synth!

#12 ·
This exact thing has happened to me, only when my track bike had about 5k miles on it. Unlike your case, the same screw simply came out and fell into the sump. Also, the other screw was half way out as well. Just like you, I was going in there expecting a transmission rebuild but after retrieving the screw and re-installing it with some locktite, it was all back to good times. Every time I do my clutch now, I take a peek at these retaining screws. Definitely a shortcoming on build finish there.

Anyone who doing their clutch refresh, it would probably be good practice to check these screws.

Attachments

#13 ·
Thanks for adding that Lanister,

Now that you mention it, the remaining screw was almost out in my case as well.

Lets hope we've created a (seldom) sought reference as opposed to documenting a trend.

Reactions: Lanister
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.