Gen 4: 2011-2015 My 2013 won't start, and I'm looking for any input. - Page 3 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 24 Old 03-20-2017, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

I was able to get it running correctly today. However I have no real idea what exactly was wrong. I had to fix a couple issues I created trying to get it running, but I never found anything that would explain what was wrong to begin with.

https://youtu.be/RbVwy_j2RPo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 Old 04-28-2017, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Ok -- what a saga this has been.

Even after getting the bike to run, I had a problem which I just couldn't figure out.

The engine would hit 12500 RPM and cut out. RPM would drop to about 11000 RPM and engine would come back on full power. Bucking like mad in the process -- see the video of it below.

Turns out that my crankshaft position sensor was faulty. Not enough to keep the bike from starting and running mind you.

I had tested and verified the sensor was working per specs for resistance and open circuit peak to peak voltage. Mine measure 490ohm (spec is 376 - 500) and 2V peak to peak output (min spec is 1.9V). Based on that and the fact the engine started and ran just fine, I didn't suspect the crank sensor was faulty and would only fail completely at high rpm and then start working again at a lower rpm.

I went back and retested the sensor after a couple of weeks, as I was completely out of other ideas to fix the issue. This time when I checked, the resistance was in spec, however the open circuit output voltage was only 1V. Once the replacement sensor was in, I verified the output voltage and it was 3V. 3x higher output voltage.

My best guess here is the crank sensor signal was not strong enough at high RPM to outweigh the electrical noise of the engine pulling 12,500+ RPM.

I also have to assume the bad crank sensor was why I was having so many odd problems from the get-go. Live & learn.

post #23 of 24 Old 04-29-2017, 02:36 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I doubt it had to do with electrical noise so much as inductance. If your magnetic CS sensor is marginal in the first place, then output could conceivably lower at higher frequencies. At 12500 rpm it would be putting out pulses in excess of 4kHz.

In any case, good find!

I assume the replacement ECU also fixed a lot of issues? Did you attempt to unseal it and confirm solder joints?

Thou Shalt Respect Thy 10, And Revel In It's Power, For It Is Good, And Plentiful.

post #24 of 24 Old 04-29-2017, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenshead View Post
I doubt it had to do with electrical noise so much as inductance. If your magnetic CS sensor is marginal in the first place, then output could conceivably lower at higher frequencies. At 12500 rpm it would be putting out pulses in excess of 4kHz.

In any case, good find!

I assume the replacement ECU also fixed a lot of issues? Did you attempt to unseal it and confirm solder joints?
The ECU was never bad. I had a bad connector in the harness, which I caused when I was probing them while troubleshooting. I opened the connector and pulled the connector out and got it back to the correct shape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.