Might sell my zx10r - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 133 Old 05-28-2017, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Might sell my zx10r

Yesterday i did a track day at a track ive never ridden before.
After first session learning where the track went i started to up the pace and was pushing har as you can see in the vid below.
Bike felt good especially on corner entry where i could trail brake deep into the corner.
But as usual for me the rear grip fell off a cliff after a few hard laps and i had a slide then a near highside and then i had to back down the pace.
After each session i was knackered too.
In the afternoon i tried my dads 2016 s1000rr that id never ridden before and instantly was going well. Keeping up with quick riders on a bike i knew nothing about.
Things i noticed were where mine spins the rear the s1000 wont let it happen. Changing direction felt easier somehow and when i got back to the pits i was barely breaking a sweat and the tyre was in good order.
Its does have a slightly vague feeling to it but it has made me realise that as much as i like the zx10s there may be a better bike out there for me.
Anyway heres the vid.
https://youtu.be/1F8HuAkKGTw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 133 Old 05-28-2017, 05:13 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to jr0065
Did the BMW feel lot more comfortable?
I've considered the same switch since I have heard it is more comfortable than a ZX-10R but I have not ridden an S1000rr myself.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Gen 5 ZX-10R
post #3 of 133 Old 05-28-2017, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0065 View Post
Did the BMW feel lot more comfortable?
I've considered the same switch since I have heard it is more comfortable than a ZX-10R but I have not ridden an S1000rr myself.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I would say it was slightly comfier.
The seat was softer for me and i now feel like it is one of the problems with the zx10.
On the zx10 im always trying to pull myself forward on to the tank and the s1000 it holds you forwards and the narrower seat makes it simple to slip from side to side when changing direction.
On the road however being jammed onto the tank could be slightly uncomfortable for a man!

post #4 of 133 Old 05-28-2017, 06:25 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

The new era superbikes electronic packages are sweet! They let you get away with a lot.

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS
post #5 of 133 Old 05-28-2017, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijack View Post
The new era superbikes electronic packages are sweet! They let you get away with a lot.
True. I was pinning the throttle and it was applying the power gradually itsself.
But that is part of the reason why it felt slighty disconnected and almost like you are cheating.
That said they are adjustable so you can dial in less if you want to.
Id love to do a track day on a gen5 zx10 to compare
post #6 of 133 Old 05-28-2017, 10:19 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

I watched half the vid and you all looks good to me. If the rr feels better buy it and keep the 10r What may be happening is a transitioning level up glitch. My point is that you look great to me but since you feel better on the rr then go there but keep the 10r ready because the rr may be simply another segway to the next level up. I'm simply thinking here based upon your vid. The problem that I have with track is that it's so hard to ride everyday at the track. Luv Rossi as he said the truth: 'if I don't ride everyday, I'm afraid that I'll forget how to ride.' That is the truth.
post #7 of 133 Old 05-28-2017, 10:44 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
What tires are you running? It seems a bit odd to to me to be cooking a tire in a few hot laps unless it were a street tire.
post #8 of 133 Old 05-28-2017, 10:52 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukzx10r View Post
True. I was pinning the throttle and it was applying the power gradually itsself.
But that is part of the reason why it felt slighty disconnected and almost like you are cheating.
That said they are adjustable so you can dial in less if you want to.
Id love to do a track day on a gen5 zx10 g atmpare
The cheat feel is outside the comfort zone. Another way of looking at it is let the bike work for you; if the bike feels like it's working against you THEN IT'S YOU. And that's the true beauty of a super.

if working against the rider then the rider must sort out the problem. Not enough weight over; too late on throttle; can't remember the turn; too tired; too fat so can't help suspension; myriad of stuff. Even top level pros can't sort this every race.

Last edited by scout; 05-28-2017 at 10:54 PM.
post #9 of 133 Old 05-29-2017, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I was on metzeler racetec 200 sc1 and it was quite a warm day.
Tyre was awsome for first few laps then it overheats and grip falls of a cliff.
I do believe half of it was the rear showa shock as that to felt good for few laps but when i pulled in the pits its damping was almost non existant.
Think the oil was over heating as on the road the shock is spot on.
The other half of the problem i believe to be that i didnt have the traction control on and im 6ft 4 tall and quite heavy.
post #10 of 133 Old 05-29-2017, 03:13 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
May want to try a SC2 or SC3 for a real hot day.

When was the last time the shock was serviced?

I run a gen 4 with an elka rear shock and sc1(front) and sc2(rear) and the bike is extremely compliant, smooth on the throttle and light on the bars helps a lot with that. I can easily spin the rear if i get a little whiskey throttle though. I have kit ecu and TC setup enough to help a slide but not a wheelie. I have yet to run in 100+degreeF temps, though i will be this weekend at buttonwillow, but i don't expect to have any issues. I'm also 6'2 & 210lbs if that helps.

I've heard the stock shock is absolute shit, unfortunately i don't have experience with one, nor how a gen5 shock would compare.

Last edited by JayBoCC2; 05-29-2017 at 03:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.