Might sell my zx10r - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 124 Old 05-29-2017, 03:41 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

When I buy a bike I consider suspension upgrades as part of the purchase price. The stock rear shock on the zx10 might be considered the weakest part of the package, as it certainly isn't one of the bikes strengths.

Before replacing the whole bike consider a good aftermarket shock set up for your needs.

I've read some of the changes you've done to the suspension setup of your bike, and a stock shock will always be a stock shock. If you wanna wick up the pace, recommend careful consideration of all chassis components.
evallarta1, ukzx10r and IMSTuner like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 124 Old 05-29-2017, 08:09 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Geometry and suspension sound like an issue for you on your 10r which can easily be fixed. As others have mentioned you may need to consider upgrading components. As to the RR, it is a REALLY nice bike, but has it's own demons. Lots of moving parts and the electronics can be a bear and expensive to fix. I'm good buddies with the North American Race Engineer for BMW and have spent countless hours learning things from him. If you start going fast you'll have to drop some coin to get the electronics up to your pace. And do yourself a favor and do NOT get the active suspension! It can't keep up with your pace on the track, at any level.

Stupidity and Motivation are a dangerous combination

Velocity Calibrations
post #13 of 124 Old 05-29-2017, 01:51 PM
OMG Look at that squid!!

Posting Frequency

Damn you almost ass packed the RR! Been there done that! In some of my old vids you can hear me talking shit and commentating my own "almost" demise lol!

Nice vid man! You look pretty good out there.

Because wheelie!!!

16' ZX10R
14' Ducati Monster 1200S - SOLD
13' RSV4-R - SOLD
My ZX10R's 11' - 08' - 07' - 05' - 04' - ALL SOLD
Miss my Black 04' the most!
Never enough money, never enough time!

Last edited by trackaddict; 05-30-2017 at 06:49 AM.

post #14 of 124 Old 05-29-2017, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBoCC2 View Post
May want to try a SC2 or SC3 for a real hot day.

When was the last time the shock was serviced?

I run a gen 4 with an elka rear shock and sc1(front) and sc2(rear) and the bike is extremely compliant, smooth on the throttle and light on the bars helps a lot with that. I can easily spin the rear if i get a little whiskey throttle though. I have kit ecu and TC setup enough to help a slide but not a wheelie. I have yet to run in 100+degreeF temps, though i will be this weekend at buttonwillow, but i don't expect to have any issues. I'm also 6'2 & 210lbs if that helps.

I've heard the stock shock is absolute shit, unfortunately i don't have experience with one, nor how a gen5 shock would compare.
Well i usually run sc2 tyres but i always get the same wear even though ive changed the shocks and linkages and even the same wear on my old gen1 and my old r1.
All have had shocks that were not setup properly for my weight so i know that is half the issue.
The current shock has done less than 1000 miles since new and on the road i noticed my usual wear was better and it felt good but it would appear they arent much good when your really on it on a hot day on track.
As for my riding and holding on too tight etc i have no option because the bike always floats the front wheel and its a real handful. Especially on to the long back straight. I got on the s1000 and it just drove out the corner with no issues what so ever.
The s1000 was bone stock but the rear suspension was way better than zx10s.
The only issue is the s1000 costs about a 1/3 more than my bike and i dont like the look of them to be honest
post #15 of 124 Old 05-29-2017, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaddict View Post
Damn you almost ass packed the RR! Been there done that! In some of my old vids you can hear me talking shit and commentating my own "almost" demise lol!

Nie vid man! You look pretty good out there.
Tell me about it. I was giving it a squirt in between the change of direction and he did not.
Its the closest ive come to testing out my brake lever bash guard lol.
Shat myself for all of 2 seconds lol
trackaddict likes this.
post #16 of 124 Old 05-29-2017, 07:14 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I'm not being funny and I hope you don't take offence, but you seem like a knowledgeable guy, make some your own parts, but you seem to be band aiding your bike.

You have rear tyre issues and make it sound like the ZX10R has some inherent problem.

Why spend time and avoid the enjoyment you could be having with your bike.

You do know that upon release, the gen 4 ZX10R was the superstock bike and pretty much still is.

The British Superstock championship was like a one make series.

This points to the fact that the bike is great as a package (especially for those budget restricted) but like anything, it has it's limitations.

Unfortunately that means sometimes spending money on the areas where the package is weak, but more importantly, getting the package set up by those of superior knowledge in bike set up.

Anyone can chuck thousands in Ohlins on a bike, but its those with the knowledge of set up that can make it work.

So start with the basics...Is the suspension in good condition? Anything that came in the bike fluid wise is trash. Even more so if never changed.

If the stock suspension is good, has a professional set it up for you in terms of your riding style and weight?

Those suspension people at the track have limited time and unfortunately sometimes knowledge. I once had a track suspension guy tell me my rear Ohlins on my K5 was shot only for me to take it to Steve Jordan and him show me it was completely fine. I know who I'd trust.

Your reasonably quick so you are now reaching the limitations of a bike designed to work on the street and sold for a budget.

Its a good package but even I'm finding its limits just riding on the street compared to my Ohlins K5.

This is not an ode to the ZX10R and yes there are better bikes out there. I think that BMW will definitely have strengths over our bike and the new R1 when set up could probably run rings around it with a semi good rider onboard.

But...You haven't seen your bike in the best light, so I don't think you're making an informed decision.

Ofcourse if you just fancy something new then I'll shut the fuck up and wish you the best, but for my money...

I'd give MCT Technics in Suffolk a call. Tell them what problems you're having.

Take the bike in with a budget in mind and have them work within that, whether that means a KTech or Ohlins shock and forks / cartridges or just them taking that crap shock off, taking it apart and fitting it with non crappy parts and non leaking seals.

Ok I will shut up now and good luck with whichever way you go.
IMSTuner likes this.
post #17 of 124 Old 05-29-2017, 07:22 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Ok I said I would shut up but if you want the best track tyres that stick like shit to a blanket, try Bridgestone R10s or V02 slicks.

I wouldn't personally don't trust any Pirelli / Metzler whatever...Yes even if the BSB / WSB boys use it.

Bridgestone make best track tyres IMO...Followed perhaps by Dunlop.

:)
post #18 of 124 Old 05-30-2017, 07:11 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

If rear grip fell off a cliff quickly then you need to get it properly set up with a quality shock as others have mentioned (Ohlins Penske, etc).

I have a Gen IV with all Ohlins set up for my weight and a Dan Kyle 0% rear link and its fantastic. When the rear tire loses its best grip (lets say 2-3 hard sessions), drive grip is diminished but its still possible to turn decent lap times for another 3-4 sessions.

BTW, if you want to see what a Gen IV is really capable of, check out this vid:
post #19 of 124 Old 05-30-2017, 10:01 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidwell427 View Post
BTW, if you want to see what a Gen IV is really capable of, check out this vid
Not really, looks that his pace is over 10s slower than pro rider.
In this video rider on Gen4 bike with normal Ohlins suspention is somewhere 7s off from WSBK pace.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=NINaU_H54Ps

If your lap time is over 120% of the pro rider time (with similar power bike) then your slicks cool down and tear easy.
Bridgestone V02 medium handles low pace better than Pirelli/Metz SC and Pirelli moves arround more causing avg. trackday rider to be scared.

There is nothing bad or ill with Gen4 compared to S1000RR on race track unless some setting as way off. With shock fixed any fast rider will turn good laptimes.
I spent too much tweaking the bike, now I concentrate only training myself (motocross helps alot).
10Arghh likes this.

Gen4 race: high spec.
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 2013: stock.
Kawasaki KX450F 2016: love it.
post #20 of 124 Old 05-30-2017, 10:08 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos76 View Post
Bridgestone V02 medium handles low pace better than Pirelli/Metz SC and Pirelli moves arround more causing avg. trackday rider to be scared.
I really like the Bridgestone track tyres...I just use R10s at the moment, but find they give so much corner speed confidence.

So you motocross for training?

I was looking to do some flat track for winter training.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.