Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

MCN big four review

5K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  Big Daddy 
#1 ·
Motor Cycle News have now finished their group test of the four 2004 bikes.
If I can manage to get my scanner working tonight I'll post the review but it looks like the R1 takes top spot, not that it makes any difference to me - the mean green still looks like the dogz bawz.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/

#4 ·
I don’t know what it is with MCN, but they will never favour a Kawa over the other big 3 :? :? :x

Still, I’m looking forwards to ready there comments :roll: :roll:

Maybe KGB have accidentally supplied them with a duff 10R :?: :?:

#6 ·
No, a test is just the interpretation of tester(s), being human they are not perfect.
Realise that with the current crop of SS1000 we are splitting hairs, so one time the ZX10R will win another time the R1 will win. I remember reading a SS1000 test in Performance Bikes couple of years back were the Blade won, everybody else picked the GSXR. You could call it baised I call it human :wink:
Those test are not a bunch of clearly defined scientific arguments, but a lot of subjective impressions. :)

#7 ·
burgerkin said:
No, a test is just the interpretation of tester(s), being human they are not perfect.
Realise that with the current crop of SS1000 we are splitting hairs, so one time the ZX10R will win another time the R1 will win. I remember reading a SS1000 test in Performance Bikes couple of years back were the Blade won, everybody else picked the GSXR. You could call it baised I call it human :wink:
Those test are not a bunch of clearly defined scientific arguments, but a lot of subjective impressions. :)
Blimey...thats a bit deep BK :shock: :wink: :D

#11 ·
burgerkin said:
10r_Geezer said:
Blimey...thats a bit deep BK :shock: :wink: :D
well what I really wanted to say: Trev Franklin and this MCN lot talk a load of bollocks and are a bunch of whining gits, but I was sober at the time I wrote that, hence the confusion sorry won't happen again :wink: :wink: :wink:

:lol:
That’s more like it BK, well said …..language that I can fully understand. :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

#14 ·
From the MCN Test:

R1 -- First; 147.9 hp; 70.47 ftlb; 172 kg; 177.72 mph
1000RR -- Second; 146.6 hp; 73.9 ftlb; 179 kg; 178.15 mph
Gixxer 1K -- Third; 144.4 hp; 74.8 ftlb; 168 kg; 175.57 mph
ZX-10R -- Fourth; 147.7 hp; 74.6 ftlb; 170 kg; 176.3 mph

Quarter Mile Times:

R1 -- 10.35 sec / 146.89 mph
1000RR -- 10.10 sec / 146.92 mph
Gixxer 1K -- 10.40 sec / 143.20 mph
ZX-10R -- 10.45 sec / 144.38 mph

Fastest Lap Times (Ledenon Circuit):

R1 -- 1:36.24 sec
Gixxer 1K -- 1:36.25 sec
1000RR -- 1:36.60 sec
ZX-10R -- 1:36.90 sec

The dyno shows a huge hole in the R1's powerband from about 6500 rpm to 8000 rpm. The R1 is also making significantly less hp at the same revs as the other bikes but revs higher than any of the others (reaching peak hp at 12,600 rpm v. Kawi peak at 11,600 rpm). The 10R, CBR, and Gixxer seem identical from 6000 rpm to 11000 rpm, with the Kawi reaching slightly higher hp with more revs. The performance of MCN's 10R test bike seems to be different than some of the other 10R test bikes (such as the Sportrider bike and the Motorrad bike). I hope the production bikes are more like the Sportrider/Motorrad bikes than the MCN bike.

#15 ·
Thanks for printing that out for us. It looks like the CBR's weight makes it easier to launch, and their ZX-10 weighs more than the G1k. And it seems strange that in all the other reviews the 10 was the clear winner at the track but the slowest in this one. :?

#17 ·
Andy said:
Thanks for printing that out for us. It looks like the CBR's weight makes it easier to launch, and their ZX-10 weighs more than the G1k. And it seems strange that in all the other reviews the 10 was the clear winner at the track but the slowest in this one. :?
Weights are the claimed weights by the manufacterers, not the actual weights :?

#19 ·
Andy said:
It's rigged. Plain as day :roll:

#20 ·
:? :? :?
OK, here’s the review of the 10R.....all I can say is, they must have a bad example/pre-production unit. However, can't believe Kawa would supply such a below form bike to such a prestigious ( :?:) and influential rag as MCN.

All their comments regarding road riding performance seems to be at odds with all the other reports I’ve read from Europe and the US.. :? :?

I’ll try to post some more pages later…

#21 ·
The R1 power curve sucks - that is the result of a very short stroke motor.
You have to give top marks to the GSXR for the combination of low end delivery + top end performance.
The power curve is not the whole story - MCN prob with the ZX10R was the power delivery 6 to 8K which was on part throttle which indicates a fluff in the mapping for the injection.
It seems kwack have got the full throttle mapping sorted - maybe next year they will get the part throttle right.
I take anythingMCN say with a pinch of salt as they tend to......
Me I will pick up my ZX10 around Oct/Nov when UK prices come down to something sensible - envy the states at the mo' bikes are about £2k cheaper than the UK ~$3800!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.