Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Looking at buying a zx10r

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Kawasexy 
#1 ·
I am looking at buying a liter bike next year I'm trading in my z800 because I want a sports bike and something with more power and I was going to get a new one but being 21 the insurance is like $350+ a month which is insane but a 3rd gen around 08 is more affordable for me and I was looking into them as I found a 09 R1 for the same price and I wanted to know if anyone owns either bikes and has some more info on them for how each ride and handle and how well the power is actually put down.

#2 ·
a 636 has 30 more hp than a z800, a r1/zx10r has 90-100+ more hp. More than double what your used to.

How well the power is put down? Uh what? It'll blow your pants off. They handle like sport bikes. Literbikes handle differently than a 600 class. To be honest you should give a 636 a try, it will be a step up from a z800 and you might not crash it in the first month.

#3 ·
JayBo has the right idea. A 2013+ 636 will impress you with its power and will keep you in a lower insurance bracket. The traction control and ABS may even keep you in one piece in an emergency situation. The '09 R1 doesn't have any rider aids so it'll be a risky big step up in power.

On the other hand, a crossplane R1 will retain its value better than any Kawasaki.

#4 ·
I like the input guys but I have been riding a 03 cbr1000RR repsol for a few weeks and it?s just as easy to ride as my z800 the cbr is a friend of mine who let me use it. The 2013 makes 113hp and 46 ft lbs of torque while my 16 Z800 makes 98hp and 56 ft lbs of torque so there is not much difference other then the top end. I test drove a 16 Zx6r (636) and it didn?t feel much different other then the top end, and riding position. And answer the other thing yes a liter bike will be faster then my Z800 fuck a 600 is faster at top end there close up to 100mph but the 800 runs out of top end around 120 from weight, aerodynamics, and lack of hp. I want a liter bike because I enjoy riding the cbr and how the riding position is more sport where my Z800 is like a dirt bike and the increased power I mainly wanted to know more on the bikes to see which one to look into more, trying to find, and what to watch out for on bike specific years.

#5 ·
If you're mentally stable, you can handle any new 160 hp liter. But you have to FIRST find insurance that's not a gangster. Check geico. If high ask what their discounts are, as in MSF class, whatever. 4200 dollars per year is huge tax.

If you buy a Kawa 10, any newer than the g4, including the g4, you MUST buy the extended warranty. Buy it here:
Contact - D & H CYCLE

1. find reasonable insurance FIRST.

If you find insurance that is do-able, then:

2. Figure out how to buy the bike of your choice in cash.

3. If a 10r Kawa, have to buy the extended warranty as the bike is a two edged sword: runs great but no long enough.

If you can't find cheaper insurance for a liter, then you must go smaller in search of better insurance price.

#6 ·
I wanted a 09+ crossplane r1 originally. After careful consideration I decided a g4 zx10 was a better choice. The crossplanes are down on power out of the box, (not slow by any means) also extra weight. Mpg is significantly lower (if you care.) Under seat exhaust and bike in general radiates allot of heat and cooks you more substantially more then other liter bikes. Sounds awesome but allot of trade offs. Ranked low in the liter bike class every year.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
What he said above. The '09 R1 is inferior to the 4th Gen R1 in every way except for the V-twin like exhaust note and the lower end powerband.

#8 ·
I bought my first liter bike when I was your age (07cbr1000rr brand new). Before that was a decade riding motocross and several years riding a 00 cbr600f4 on the street. I would say the jump to the liter bike was a substantial jump in power. I like having a bike I can't use all the power and when I give it a twist full other is a slight fear to keep me in check. On the 600 I ran it to redline all the time and was treating like a scooter. If your a competent rider, level headed and know your limitations you'll be just fine. Honda or kaw liter bikes are well rounded the rest are hit or miss.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

#9 ·
I found a 08 zx10r which is 3rd gen for a decent price and low miles but the dealer I live near which is the one I got my Z800 from might be having a guy trade in his 2013 zx10r 4th gen for a new left over next year so I think I?m gonna wait and see if they get that one they said it?s low miles and they did all the work on it. From what I?m hearing I?ll like the zx10r much better then the R1 and that?s the whole point I was getting Down to so I?ll start looking for them and see what?s around and after winter I should be on a zx10r ??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.