Gen 4: 2011-2015 KIBS unit - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 08-18-2017, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Garage
KIBS unit

Hi guys,has anyone removed the ABS(kibs)unit off a gen4 before?I checked out the wiring diagram and quickly the wires going into and out of the unit!front and rear sensors,earth,power,ecu and a few others!if anyone has any info regarding removing the unit and ways to stop any faults or codes popping up could you please give me your results be it positive or negative!If I have no information about the process Im going to set myself on a mission to overcome my issue with a non functioning piece of unwanted weight(well that's the idea)
Thanks in advance
Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Helitech likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-18-2017, 11:40 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Subscribed.... now where’s my popcorn?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
peterd10r likes this.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-19-2017, 05:53 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I'm doing this atm

post #4 of 14 Old 08-19-2017, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Garage
There has to be a way!I need to see what the abs unit is doing in regards to the feeds going into the unit and then out!I have a feeling the only way will be to remove the unit then pull it apart!unless I had a detailed drawing of the internals

post #5 of 14 Old 08-19-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Garage
This is involved!a non abs model has a resistor on 1 side of the front sensor then to the ecu and the same for the rear!the abs model has their wiring into the abs unit with a wire going to the ecu!its getting interesting

post #6 of 14 Old 08-20-2017, 11:05 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I removed my abs system but left the module hooked up and just plugged the holes. From what i read is the bike will go into into limp mode. Im now running brembo 19rcs master cylinder and spiegler lines.

2015 ZX10R
2016 ZX14R SE
post #7 of 14 Old 08-20-2017, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Garage
Yes Snakes I did that a long time ago!I did try Spiegler lines that actually uterlise the abs pump with a RCS19 and Brembo GP4RX calipers and the lever was just like play doh!I ditched the lines to the unit and went from m/c straight to the calipers and my problem was solved!tbh I can't see removing the abs unit happening!

post #8 of 14 Old 08-21-2017, 01:47 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterd10r View Post
Yes Snakes I did that a long time ago!I did try Spiegler lines that actually uterlise the abs pump with a RCS19 and Brembo GP4RX calipers and the lever was just like play doh!I ditched the lines to the unit and went from m/c straight to the calipers and my problem was solved!tbh I can't see removing the abs unit happening!

Thank you! Had that arguement with a dude on our bike group. He was saying you will feel no difference between lines going to the pump vs lines going straight from the mc to the calibers. I never tried replacing the lines with abs still active. So not sure of the feeling. But running the 19rcs and braided lines to the calibers, makes the lever stiff and and very responsive.

2015 ZX10R
2016 ZX14R SE
post #9 of 14 Old 08-21-2017, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Garage
Well the Dude is a dud if he is saying there is no difference!Im sure many have commented in the past 2-3years about a shitty brake feel on the gen4 abs models in the past!when I had the abs unit on my bike I had so much trouble trying to bleed them and get a nice firm lever full stop!a lot of times you will get trouble with tiny air bubbles in the m/c but Skydork(I think)brought that to my attention!you have to crack that nipple to be sure but with tlc!I even tapped up the front lever overnight but it still was shit!I good way to put it like they were on Valium,once I went direct to the m/c it was a dream to bleed and the end result was I had complete confidence with what I considered great front stoppies!

post #10 of 14 Old 08-22-2017, 04:59 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterd10r View Post
This is involved!a non abs model has a resistor on 1 side of the front sensor then to the ecu and the same for the rear!the abs model has their wiring into the abs unit with a wire going to the ecu!its getting interesting
ABS models have wheel sensors commuteted to ECU via ABS module. Ones on non ABS models commutated to ECU directly but using a simple electrical scheme. If you want to cut off ABS unit (it weight about 2 kg by the way) you need replace harness to nonABS one or make wiring yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.