Gen 1: 2004-2005 just about to buy an 04...what to look for? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 02-01-2018, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

just about to buy an 04...what to look for?

Hi guys,

Rather than the usual...i've just bought a XXX and what should I have considered' I thought I'd take the unprecedented step of asking advice of those in the know before I hand over the dosh.

Te guy I'm buying it off sounds knowledgeable and a nice guy to boot and I'm pretty experienced in the art of bike buying but could really do with opinions on particular model weaknesses and/or any things to watch out for on this model. Theres no service history but this is reflected in the price, its done 24k miles so I am aware its due a major service but I'm pretty happy doing valve clearances etc myself and again, its cheap to reflect this.

Its got an akrapovic can and power commander, custom mapped on a dyno. its got an ohlins damper so looks like the brutal power delivery and 'lively' handling should be sorted. I'm coming from a GSXR1000 K1 and Fireblade 929 background so assume this is similar but more (power GSXR plus some and handling 929 ish with equal tank slappers.

Be very interested to hear your opinions and of course I'll post up pics/findings when I've collected.

Cheers dudes, ride safe.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-01-2018, 09:32 AM
Judge Dredd Mod

Posting Frequency

First, Mark!

Anything and everything about a first Gen 10R is available using the search button. We even have a whole section dedicated to it as well. Gen 1 10R's major issue is the generator. Look that up and it's remedies as well as some other minor issues and quirks, they're all here.

again, enjoy the site!!

BURNOUT.....
Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-01-2018, 11:07 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Make sure the frame isn't cracked.
trackaddict likes this.

post #4 of 16 Old 02-01-2018, 11:35 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
If the chain doesn't look good, just think about all the other maintenance the seller hasn't done on it ;)
post #5 of 16 Old 02-01-2018, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Cheers,
I know about the frame issue but I can't get a feel for how common it is. I do exit a lot of corners on one wheel so even if it doesn't have an issue am I just one hard landing away from an issue at all times? Doesn't sound ideal tbh but would be a real shame to back away from something that sounds so good for an issue that affects one bike in a few hundred. If its pretty much inevitable though I think I'd walk away.
post #6 of 16 Old 02-02-2018, 09:23 AM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Old bike, so why buy it. Have to go g4 or newer with the 10; I would not buy the g4 unless you can find a new one and get the extended warranty; same with g5.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-02-2018, 12:44 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Metcalfe View Post
Cheers,
I know about the frame issue but I can't get a feel for how common it is. I do exit a lot of corners on one wheel so even if it doesn't have an issue am I just one hard landing away from an issue at all times? Doesn't sound ideal tbh but would be a real shame to back away from something that sounds so good for an issue that affects one bike in a few hundred. If its pretty much inevitable though I think I'd walk away.
I read through a few of the old threads on the frame cracking and there were a few guys who have stated that they wheelie all the time and slam it back down and haven't had any issues.

It seems to be kind of hit and miss, the Gen 1 that we have doesn't show any cracks but it doesn't get ridden nearly as hard since my mom rides it. Literally gets driven under 90MPH 95% of the time when she's on it.

I'm hoping I can convince my dad to let me keep it for myself when she's done with it ha.
lun471k likes this.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-03-2018, 07:25 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

As said above check the frame over well for cracks...Just a heads up I looked at one the other day and inspected it for cracks, he did quite a extensive job to cover up the cracked frame.

post #9 of 16 Old 02-04-2018, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Cheers guys. Saw it, checked frame, bought it, rode it, nearly high-sided it, loved it. Sorted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Folder.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	411802  
mr_honez, or10r, NinjaLife and 2 others like this.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-04-2018, 04:01 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Nice !
If it is '05 model , the generator problem is resolved .
Change only MC and front calipers. AND change valve retainer with '08+ model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.