Gen 1: 2004-2005 just about to buy an 04...what to look for? - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 Old 02-05-2018, 02:19 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
Old bike, so why buy it. Have to go g4 or newer with the 10; I would not buy the g4 unless you can find a new one and get the extended warranty; same with g5.
zapp and evilaugust like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 02-06-2018, 08:44 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Metcalfe View Post
Cheers guys. Saw it, checked frame, bought it, rode it, nearly high-sided it, loved it. Sorted.
Nice bike mark! If you want to get a more OEM looking ninja decal on the mid fairings just shoot me a PM.

post #13 of 24 Old 02-07-2018, 11:33 AM
Judge Dredd Mod

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Cheers guys. Saw it, checked frame, bought it, rode it, nearly high-sided it, loved it. Sorted.
She is gorgeous Mark! I gots mucho Gen 1 love!!

BURNOUT.....
Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.

post #14 of 24 Old 02-08-2018, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Thanks for the info guys, yep...didnt spot that the graphic 'ninja' had been changed doh! I'm normally more OCD than that so will change back to OEM.

This bike is awesome! Its deepest darkest winter over here in UK at the mo but I found some dry (but cold) roads last night and managed to get all the power down...hells teeth this thing is an animal! Need to be careful feeding in the throttle out of bends and it changes direction so much more quickly than my GSXR1000. I assumed it had to be geared down as the acceleration was so fierce but turns out I'm still on the original 17t sprocket. I know this sounds silly but I think a 16T is going in just to make things more 'animal'. The bike has been set up on the dyno for the Akrapovic exhaust and is making a nice 159.6 rwhp which I assume is pretty typical.

To be honest I think I read the 'for experts only' rep this bike has with a cynical set of ears on but genuinely I could see how a less experienced rider would be so much better off on the GSXR. This bike will just do what you tell it regardless of the consequences whereas the GSXR will remain smooth and composed in most situations. I think the press saw this as a negative but to be honest I love it.

Also I see lots of posts about how to make the braking better...really? maybe if theres fade on a track but for the roads they are strong, progressive and with lots of feel, even with our cold roads I managed to get the rear end hovering...The bike I had before this was the 929 blade and these brakes, or maybe the way you sit over the front of the bike on the ZX10, make the blades feel a bit lacking in feel.

Only problem with the bike so far is an oil weep from the sprocket side. I've wiped off the residue and will try to track down the source. Does anyone know any particular problem areas on the 04? oil pump, sprocket seal, clutch pushrod seal etc? It might help me track it down quicker.

Anyway...top bike...wish I'd had enough money for one years ago but I suspect this is the one for me...I cant think what the hell I'd replace it with...just need some warm dry roads and I think I'll be in superbike heaven.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180205_084715.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	411978  
post #15 of 24 Old 02-08-2018, 08:31 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Cool

Yep, I had an 05 and after careful bleeding (reverse from the calipers) I really rated the brakes on the road which was good as I think this bike should be kept true to the original. Truly the definitive ZX10R and a classic in the making. Good choice
Mark Metcalfe likes this.

post #16 of 24 Old 02-08-2018, 12:19 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

If u push harder on the road, brake start fade .
Change valve retainers!!!

oil pump is inside . On the left side is only sprocket seal, gear change shaft.
post #17 of 24 Old 02-26-2018, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Had a chance to Check out oil leak while I was doing the chain and sprockets and it looks like the rocker cover had leaked previously and just not been cleaned after gasket was replaced so all good. Cleaned it all up and no sign of any more oil.

I have to say 16t front and 40t rear makes a HELL of a difference on this bike. Learnt a couple of things about this model on the way too.

1. Use anti-seize grease the sprocket nut and bend over the tab to stop it tightening in use...PO didn't and my local bike shop/truck shop couldn't shift it even with the big truck air impact wrench. I needed all my ingenuity after they failed. Soaked it in penetrating fluid, heat, rear brake, wood through rear wheel, 3' breaker bar...crraaack!! sorted.

2. If going up a tooth or two on the rear sprocket, get a 112 link chain, you want to make the wheelbase as long as possible or the combo of shorter gearing and shortened wheelbase will just have the front pointed at the sky all the time...fun but doesn't help you go forward.

Still loving it. Heaven is 1000cc and green.
NinjaLife and teror1sta like this.
post #18 of 24 Old 02-26-2018, 08:53 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to Otto Man
Quote:
Had a chance to Check out oil leak while I was doing the chain and sprockets and it looks like the rocker cover had leaked previously and just not been cleaned after gasket was replaced so all good. Cleaned it all up and no sign of any more oil.

I have to say 16t front and 40t rear makes a HELL of a difference on this bike. Learnt a couple of things about this model on the way too.

1. Use anti-seize grease the sprocket nut and bend over the tab to stop it tightening in use...PO didn't and my local bike shop/truck shop couldn't shift it even with the big truck air impact wrench. I needed all my ingenuity after they failed. Soaked it in penetrating fluid, heat, rear brake, wood through rear wheel, 3' breaker bar...crraaack!! sorted.

2. If going up a tooth or two on the rear sprocket, get a 112 link chain, you want to make the wheelbase as long as possible or the combo of shorter gearing and shortened wheelbase will just have the front pointed at the sky all the time...fun but doesn't help you go forward.

Still loving it. Heaven is 1000cc and green.
I would definitely not use anti seize on the counter shaft sprocket nut.
post #19 of 24 Old 02-26-2018, 01:10 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaLife View Post
Make sure the frame isn't cracked.
My old one had a cracked frame when i got it
Mark Metcalfe likes this.
post #20 of 24 Old 02-26-2018, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Man View Post
I would definitely not use anti seize on the counter shaft sprocket nut.
Kawasaki service manual section 11-10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in