Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

IAT sensor

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  mpp12 
#1 ·
Is there an metal IAT sensor that can be used instead of the plastic stock one?

#3 ·
He's using it for a boosted application... the 'closed element' stock IAT is absolutely terrible at measuring temperature change. It works just fine for measuring ambient air temps, but in a forced induction application you need something that can accurately measure the rapidly changing intake temps.... stock sensor just can't do that. :)

#4 ·
the other day, I made a post about locating the IAT on the real intake of the box... since I get sometimes like 31-34C running when the temp is a bit lower.. and when the bike stops it just heat soaks at goes very hi, even that I have a heat shield around the airbox...

#6 ·
Honestly, a couple degrees won't make much of a difference, but you want it to accurately read the temperature of the air going into the engine, not necessarily the temp of the outside air. The amount of air rushing over the sensor stabilizes what it will read (no worries on 'heat soak')... it just changes too slow for a forced induction application. On an NA bike, inlet air temp will never change drastically from the outside air temp in a short period of time.... unless you are letting it heat soak somehow (like, say, in drag racing where you get it hot and then sit in staging for 20 minutes with the bike off). For normal riding/circuit racing it's a non-issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.