• 1 Post By JayBoCC2
  • 1 Post By Older Guy
  • 1 Post By LDH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-05-2018, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

How to remove stuck oil filter?

Lets start here. I have been replacing oil for years on my bikes, and tonight for the first time I could not remove the oil filter using a standard oil filter cap. I was pretty upset yeah? Tried a leather belt and nope. Tried stuffing blue shop high absorbent paper towels into the oil filter cap and hammering it on. Nope. Let the assembly cool down and tried again. Nope. The cap would just slide. I was debating hammering a screwdriver through the filter, but refused due to chance of marring threads, spilling oil all over, etc. Thought I would just give up and go buy a filter wrench (the kind with teeth), and try that (that would have probably worked).

Ultimately I watched a youtube video I found by chance, and told me to use paper. Paper instead of paper towels. Alas, this is the digital age, and I have no paper, except spam mail (mostly white paper, some graphics). Oh finally a purpose for all this spam! Double folded the spam and stuffed it into the filter cap. Hammered the filter cap on, and viola, to my amazement, and total glee, it worked! I was pricing a new oil pan before this!!!

So yeah, if you got a stuck filter, do not hammer a screwdriver through it, stick some paper in the filter cap (double folded), hammer it on, and cross your fingers. Worked for me! Or maybe try an actual filter wrench(not the leather strap, but the ones with teeth).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-05-2018, 01:47 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
screwdriver through the filter and lockjaw pliers never fail me when my hands do.
michael4012 likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-05-2018, 02:28 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybocc2 View Post
screwdriver through the filter and lockjaw pliers never fail me when my hands do.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]192MPH stock engined 2008

post #4 of 9 Old 05-05-2018, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Here's the video that allowed me finish the job without additional headache, or cash. It definitely works.

post #5 of 9 Old 05-05-2018, 08:57 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

extra large channel lock pliers work in this emergency. I use the regular metal tension band thing but those will work.

but look at these special channel locks for filters:

I use one like this, normally; one that fits the small motor filter;

post #6 of 9 Old 05-08-2018, 03:41 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

fill filter with oil, oil the seal and the threads, hand tighten, secure another 1/4 to 1/2 turn. done...never will have this problem again.
scout likes this.

post #7 of 9 Old 05-09-2018, 02:39 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

It's not as if the screwdriver method is hard but the paper trick sounds easier for sure.

2013 ABS, Bridgestone T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, GP shift, Gen5 shock/links/dogbone, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), Bestem carbon, PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modded sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 45,000km+ and going strong!
post #8 of 9 Old 05-09-2018, 04:35 PM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Works every time
Duhastme likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-09-2018, 05:09 PM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in