Gen 5: 2016 -> How long does the transmission recall take? - Page 7 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 70 Old 06-12-2018, 07:36 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltrievel13 View Post
Well, I got almost 10k miles in before my Transmission blew up. I never got a letter or anything. I heard about the recall, called the local dealer. They ordered the parts back in April, still haven't gotten them in. Nobody said what exactly would happen, or not to ride it lol. Well, I can tell you... It will just lock up the rear, very quickly and violantly. So hard the case broke at the front sprocket. After that, the chain popped off, as I said to a smokey stop ruining a brand new rear tire. Hell of a ride. Guess now it's a waiting game to see what happens, and if I'm bikeless for the summer. Better not be the case. Feeling like maybe I shoulda bought the R1M instead at this point....
You need to contact Kawasaki ASAP. Because this is an official recall, they have a LEGAL responsibility to get your vehicle repaired in a reasonable amount of time.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recall...compendium.pdf

"Where the free remedy offered is a repair, manufacturers are required to conduct that repair
adequately and within a reasonable amount of time. A failure to conduct a repair adequately within
60 days after the consumer presents the item for repair is evidence of a failure to repair within a
reasonable time. NHTSA may, however, extend the 60-day period where good reason is shown. In
the event a repair is not done adequately within a reasonable amount of time, the manufacturer must
replace the item with an identical or reasonably equivalent item or, for a vehicle, refund its purchase
price less a reasonable amount for depreciation"

I'm not a lawyer ok? Buy yeah, call Kawasaki corporate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 70 Old 06-12-2018, 08:31 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Called them Litteraly the minute they open this morning. Guy seemed cool enough, made a case log and gave me all the info he could. Just super pissed, it's my only street bike anymore, and I don't have time for the track these days. Even 60 days, that's the entire summer. FML, right there 😂
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearsNStuff View Post
Quote:
Well, I got almost 10k miles in before my Transmission blew up. I never got a letter or anything. I heard about the recall, called the local dealer. They ordered the parts back in April, still haven't gotten them in. Nobody said what exactly would happen, or not to ride it lol. Well, I can tell you... It will just lock up the rear, very quickly and violantly. So hard the case broke at the front sprocket. After that, the chain popped off, as I said to a smokey stop ruining a brand new rear tire. Hell of a ride. Guess now it's a waiting game to see what happens, and if I'm bikeless for the summer. Better not be the case. Feeling like maybe I shoulda bought the R1M instead at this point....
You need to contact Kawasaki ASAP. Because this is an official recall, they have a LEGAL responsibility to get your vehicle repaired in a reasonable amount of time.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recall...compendium.pdf

"Where the free remedy offered is a repair, manufacturers are required to conduct that repair
adequately and within a reasonable amount of time. A failure to conduct a repair adequately within
60 days after the consumer presents the item for repair is evidence of a failure to repair within a
reasonable time. NHTSA may, however, extend the 60-day period where good reason is shown. In
the event a repair is not done adequately within a reasonable amount of time, the manufacturer must
replace the item with an identical or reasonably equivalent item or, for a vehicle, refund its purchase
price less a reasonable amount for depreciation"

I'm not a lawyer ok? Buy yeah, call Kawasaki corporate.
post #63 of 70 Old 06-13-2018, 12:28 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
I had my transmission recall done this past weekend. It took them just short of three hours to do it.

post #64 of 70 Old 06-13-2018, 01:06 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

How long did you have to wait for parts to come in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicanj View Post
I had my transmission recall done this past weekend. It took them just short of three hours to do it.
post #65 of 70 Old 06-13-2018, 01:09 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Out of curiosity, how does your positive neutral finder work? The manual says the transmission should not go past neutral when shifting from first while the bike is stopped. Mine goes easily into second. I guess I'll have to get this fixed at the 600 mi. service. The instructions for the recall tell the techs not to grease the PNF or it won't work properly. I guess the guy that did mine can't read.
post #66 of 70 Old 06-15-2018, 03:31 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelmike View Post
Out of curiosity, how does your positive neutral finder work? The manual says the transmission should not go past neutral when shifting from first while the bike is stopped. Mine goes easily into second. I guess I'll have to get this fixed at the 600 mi. service. The instructions for the recall tell the techs not to grease the PNF or it won't work properly. I guess the guy that did mine can't read.
I warned everyone to check that before leaving the lot after the repair, lol. At least yours shifts, my tech claims to have lost one of the ball bearings for the PNF during install, which resulted in false neutrals, or in other words, in between gears.

Last edited by GearsNStuff; 06-15-2018 at 03:37 PM.
post #67 of 70 Old 06-15-2018, 04:13 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Gears,
I certainly would have heeded your advice, but the bike was purchased in New Orleans and shipped to me so that wasn't possible. I did ask over the phone if they checked the positive neutral function and of course the answer was yes. Oh well, the local Kawi dealer gets to take it apart again. It does shift very smoothly though so I'm not too worried yet.
Mike
post #68 of 70 Old 06-17-2018, 05:05 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

My parts just came in, were back ordered about 3-weeks
post #69 of 70 Old 06-18-2018, 12:49 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
How long did you have to wait for parts to come in?
The kit arrived about 3-4 weeks after ordering it. I was then told that there was an inventory issue and they accidentally logged the wrong number of kits and my kit was in fact not in stock. My theory is that I took too long to show up to get it installed and "my kit" disappeared. Took just short of two more weeks to get another kit. I then had it installed the day after it arrived at the dealership. I am fine with the process...
post #70 of 70 Old 06-18-2018, 01:37 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
No offense... but if you knew there was a major transmission recall why would you continue to abuse your $12,000 bike? Kawi released a detailed statement. When you contacted your dealer and provided the VIN you automatically gave your consent that you were aware there was a recall! That's on you for continuing to use the vehicle. Kawi is responsible for making sure you get the right parts. They're not responsible for making sure you can get enough ride time in the summer Just get your bike fixed asap, get the correct gears in, and you'll be back on the road asap. Better to be safe than sorry though next time. Instead of waiting 4-6 weeks for free parts now you're going to be out 8-10 weeks and $1000+ for repairs.

When in doubt... send it!

Last edited by ddipaola; 06-18-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in