Gen 5: 2016 -> How long does the transmission recall take? - Page 4 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 70 Old 03-04-2018, 07:41 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I picked mine up yesterday. They started it, and rolled it out. They couldn't get it to go in to neutral. The clutch adjustment wasn't letting it disengage fully. I think they got the cable adjustment out of whack when the cover was removed. I let it warm up, and then just took it around the parking lot to check...trans was TIGHT shifting through third, and very short (at least it felt light that to me). Got it home, warmed up again, took it in the garage, was easy to get in to neutral. I think it needs a little break-in.

I was going to drop the oil before all this started, but I may put 100 miles on her or so, then drop it.

Cam Chain tensioner was also replaced. It seems quiet.

I took it there, sans the bodywork. I'll get all that back on today. Just hope this is over and done with
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 70 Old 03-04-2018, 02:05 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdh View Post
Interesting. That's the first I have heard of an issue. I had to rebuild my GEN4 a few times and even bought a spare transmission for it. Never had an issue with my GEN5.
Same. FWIW, the word I've heard is that it really isn't a problem for track bikes as much as road bikes.

Seems many road bikes get quick-shifted at part-throttle, and the shift times are targeted for full-throttle, hard-on-the-gas shifts. Apparently, this causes rough shifts and damages parts.

Kind of funny from my perspective, as I've eventually had to rebuild every Kawasaki transmission I've owned (Ninja 250R, ZX-6Rs, Gen1 & Gen4 ZX-10Rs - maybe this just says something about my shifting) up 'til now. The Gen5 bike is the first one that has given me no difficulty, yet it gets the recall. Go figure.
SkyDork and tdh like this.
post #33 of 70 Old 03-04-2018, 04:23 PM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

That makes a lot of sense actually. It's butter smooth when shifting in the upper RPM range full throttle. I use the clutch any other time.
SkyDork likes this.

post #34 of 70 Old 03-04-2018, 04:56 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Same here, on both points. Made sense to me. And I always clutch my 1-2 shifts, and all shifts when dawdling at the track. Only rely on the quickshifter for hard running, up or down.
SkyDork likes this.
post #35 of 70 Old 03-04-2018, 06:00 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonCarver View Post
Same. FWIW, the word I've heard is that it really isn't a problem for track bikes as much as road bikes.

Seems many road bikes get quick-shifted at part-throttle, and the shift times are targeted for full-throttle, hard-on-the-gas shifts. Apparently, this causes rough shifts and damages parts.

Kind of funny from my perspective, as I've eventually had to rebuild every Kawasaki transmission I've owned (Ninja 250R, ZX-6Rs, Gen1 & Gen4 ZX-10Rs - maybe this just says something about my shifting) up 'til now. The Gen5 bike is the first one that has given me no difficulty, yet it gets the recall. Go figure.
Here in lies the repercussions of OEM quickshifters it would seem. Everybody buys the bike and most don't read the instruction manual or thinks they "know how it's supposed to work" and just start flicking the pedal. There's been a few threads on here asking "why doesn't my quickshifter work?" and the answer in some cases is to go through the menu to turn the feature on. I wonder how many of these failures can be attributed to something like that? Maybe.

Quickshifters are for full throttle/hard acceleration use only! Any other use can and will damage transmission parts. So many people expect these things to work like an "automatic transmission". Your method is what I advocate also....which is 1-2 clutch, then bang, bang, bang from there if on the gas full and needing to go! There is only a small amount of time and opportunity on the street where this can be used and it's designed primarily for track riding.

As for me and Kawi, the only tranny I've had issues with was my 2000 ZX-7R. Tranny would pop out of gear. That was caused by a failed clutchless upshift in a wheelie that damaged the shift drum. Every other Kawi has been flawless for me. And I'm still waiting to get my letter for this one in the mail on my '16! My CR18 VIN number is outside the VIN range I've seen that applies, so we'll see. I ain't worried and am in no hurry to rush to a dealership to have it addressed. No biggie.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

Last edited by SkyDork; 03-04-2018 at 06:02 PM.
post #36 of 70 Old 03-05-2018, 03:31 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Just got mine in the mail today... called dealer and they wonít even order the parts unless the bike is there.... wtf
post #37 of 70 Old 03-05-2018, 03:43 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawi_Chris View Post
Just got mine in the mail today... called dealer and they wonít even order the parts unless the bike is there.... wtf
Mine said the same thing. He didn't know how long it would take for the parts to arrive either. He had about 4 sets but those were allocated for the unsold units he had on the showroom floor.

No big deal for me, I am closing/moving into a new house this week.. one less thing to worry about during the move

He seemed real relieved when I told him not to hurry, and if someone comes in putting a lot of pressure on him to knock theirs out they could move me to the back of the line. I guess he doesn't hear that very often
post #38 of 70 Old 03-05-2018, 03:50 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooley View Post
Quote:
Mine said the same thing. He didn't know how long it would take for the parts to arrive either. He had about 4 sets but those were allocated for the unsold units he had on the showroom floor.

No big deal for me, I am closing/moving into a new house this week.. one less thing to worry about during the move <a href="http://Zx-10r.net/forum/images/smilies/smilies/dontknow.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Dontknow" >:-)</a>

He seemed real relieved when I told him not to hurry, and if someone comes in putting a lot of pressure on him to knock theirs out they could move me to the back of the line. I guess he doesn't hear that very often <a href="http://Zx-10r.net/forum/images/smilies/smilies/laughing.gif" border="0" alt="" title="LOL" >:-)</a>
My dealer told me parts would take 3-4 days to get. Itís just the point of a few trips back and forth. Not to mention the bike is not exactly all in one piece at the moment. Lol

Sounds like the recall fit right into your moving schedule.... perfect situation. Good luck with the move!
Schooley likes this.
post #39 of 70 Old 03-05-2018, 04:06 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
My dealer told me parts would take 3-4 days to get. Itís just the point of a few trips back and forth. Not to mention the bike is not exactly all in one piece at the moment. Lol

Sounds like the recall fit right into your moving schedule.... perfect situation. Good luck with the move!
Yeah it actually worked out damned near perfectly! Thanks to this board I was able to make it work to my advantage. The letter from Kawi came in the mail today. No way I would have been able to get it dropped at the dealer for at least another week.
post #40 of 70 Old 03-05-2018, 05:01 PM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
You can take it to any dealer. Tell your dealer you will take it somewhere else if they can't order the parts first and let you know when they are in before taking your bike in. My dealer had no problem getting the parts first. Kawi pays them to do the job so it's in their best interest to do your bike. They don't get full rate, but they get paid to do it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in