Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

How long does the transmission recall take?

Gen 5: 2016-20 
17K views 73 replies 30 participants last post by  Honey Badger 
#1 ·
Got the call that my bike is affected so I gotta take it in to a dealer to fix and my question is this: How long does it generally take for them to replace gears 2,3 and 4? I am missing track time while they do this dammit!!!!!!!

#4 ·
The process shouldn't take more that a few hours, but that will depend on how busy the dealership is with all the bikes or how long they have to wait for parts. Could take a couple of days depending on when they can squeeze you in.

#6 ·
Depends upon dealer. I always talk to service admin and set up drop off time; then wait for the phone call to get the bike out of there. So funny. And I never pressure techs about getting the job done fast. In another way, don't get on the wrong side of a tech guy or lady or whatever.

#9 ·
Nope. :headshake: It's not a bad idea to do that, but there's no requirement to drain the oil to remove the cassette transmission. Some small amount of oil will likely come out when the clutch cover is removed, but the oil does not need to be drained and refilled.

#16 ·
Mine is going in today. I am needing to change the oil anyway, but will probably get back and run it just a little to get any possible debris from the new gears in the pan and drain it them.

Actually we a dragging two in today for this. My parts were in last week, but I didn't want to be the FIRST one they did :grin2:

They have done 6 of them already, so hopefully they have this down.

#17 ·
I asked the same question... "have you guys already done this?" I was told yes. I hope they are being honest. Back in the day, I took my Yamaha Roadstar Warrior in for the tranny recall (2003?). Anyway, that required a complete case split. She was a completely different bike after. Not in a bad way, but it was amazing how different it felt, as a whole.

#18 ·
Talked to my dealers service dept. today. They wont even order the parts until I bring the bike by. Dude was being real weird about it like my bike is the only mode of transportation. He sounded very high strung and cautious when I talked about riding it to them.

#20 ·
Kawasaki's racing kit parts lists gear shims, I somewhat understand the point of shimming a transmission but just assumed its kind of pointless on a modern 1000. With that said, I'm sure someone knows way more than i do about this could chime in. Would it be worth it to just pay the shop a bit extra to properly shim the transmission at the same time?

Mines all done but its the middle of winter here so no testing until spring.

#24 ·
Just got my recall notice in the mail about ten minutes ago for my '16, I haven't been on this board in awhile so it was the first time I've even heard there was a tranny problem on the Gen 5.

How many of these have grenaded that we are aware of? Were there any serious crashes involved?

Nice to know we've been riding a ticking time bomb....:badteeth:

#26 ·
I have never heard of a single GEN5 transmission problem to be honest. GEN4 on the other hand..... Picked my bike up today. Dropped it off about 3 yesterday and I just barely got home and they called me and said it was done. Under 2 hours.

#31 ·
I picked mine up yesterday. They started it, and rolled it out. They couldn't get it to go in to neutral. The clutch adjustment wasn't letting it disengage fully. I think they got the cable adjustment out of whack when the cover was removed. I let it warm up, and then just took it around the parking lot to check...trans was TIGHT shifting through third, and very short (at least it felt light that to me). Got it home, warmed up again, took it in the garage, was easy to get in to neutral. I think it needs a little break-in.

I was going to drop the oil before all this started, but I may put 100 miles on her or so, then drop it.

Cam Chain tensioner was also replaced. It seems quiet.

I took it there, sans the bodywork. I'll get all that back on today. Just hope this is over and done with :grin2:

#37 ·
Mine said the same thing. He didn't know how long it would take for the parts to arrive either. He had about 4 sets but those were allocated for the unsold units he had on the showroom floor.

No big deal for me, I am closing/moving into a new house this week.. one less thing to worry about during the move :dontknow:

He seemed real relieved when I told him not to hurry, and if someone comes in putting a lot of pressure on him to knock theirs out they could move me to the back of the line. I guess he doesn't hear that very often :lol:

#48 ·
Shoot, my dealer called me before I got the notice, and had already ordered the parts for both of my bikes, and had already put my race bike on their schedule!! :love10: my dealer :grin2:

#49 ·
That’s great.... the closest dealer (one that is doing the warranty work) to me I have never purchased anything from because their prices are ridiculous. That had a lot to do with the reply to me originally about getting the work done. I saved a ton of money when I bought the bike out of state.

Shoot, my dealer called me before I got the notice, and had already ordered the parts for both of my bikes, and had already put my race bike on their schedule!! <a href="http://Zx-10r.net/forum/images/smilies/smilies/love10.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Love10" >:)</a> my dealer <a href="http://Zx-10r.net/forum/images/ZX-10R_net_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png" border="0" alt="" title="Big Grin" >:)</a>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.